Your Hotel of choice when staying in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Your Hotel of choice when staying in Phnom Penh?

Post by Grand Barong »

Interested in hearing members opinions on their preferred hotel when visiting KOW.

Price, location and comfort are all important factors in the decision.

Particularly for a stay of around 30 days.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Your Hotel of choice when staying in Phnom Penh?

Post by Big Daikon »

Personal fave. May be pricey for a 30-day stay.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:40 am Personal fave. May be pricey for a 30-day stay.
How is the wifi at the sun and moon?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 am
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:40 am Personal fave. May be pricey for a 30-day stay.
How is the wifi at the sun and moon?
I thought it was quite good two years.

Awesome pool and breakfast buffet as well.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I had to stay in hotels for a couple of weeks a little while back. I discovered that they tend to drop their prices two or three days before the booking date, so the best value policy was to keep booking 3 days at a time, booked a day in advance. Of course that sometimes meant that I had to move hotels. I could usually get a price of $30-40 on the OTAa (booking.com or agoda), often with breakfast. I don't think any of the hotels were anywhere near 50% occupied.
The ones I used were:
Ohana (st148)
Harmony (148)
OK Boutique (19Z)
OK Palace (19Z) - you can book this one but it was closed and they actually put you in the OK Boutique
Blue Lime (19Z)
Lux (136)
Palace Gates (254)

Most of these places have very nice rooms, good size and with plenty of hardwood fittings, but in need of a refurb. The Wifi was often really bad, never fast and could cut out frequently.

If you try to get a better rate by asking at reception, they will generally offer rates that are higher than on the OTAs, even after haggling. But if you tell them you want to stay for two weeks or more and will pay in advance, you can get a deal. The Ohana offered $30 including breakfast on that basis.

The cheapest price on the OTAs for the Sun and Moon was $50.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Stayed at Ohana twice. Older building but decent place. Plenty of restaurants across the street.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Stayed once at the High Sky Hotel just over the Cambodia-China Friendship Bridge, good view of the Mekong

https://www.google.com/maps/place/High+ ... 5?hl=en-GB
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I should have included "Serviced Apartment" in the title, Are there any that do 1 month stays that you recommend?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i stayed in december a month in seasons service apartement on 144, close to the action (5 minutes walk to riverside, its 4 blocks), and asked for 1 month, no problem at all, was 650 plus elctricity, 2 clean ups a week and fully equiped kitchen, will go again next time for sure !! And i also heard (unofficial) they can arrange visa-extenion for their customers even if it would have issues if you do it yourself !!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

My two favourites were

Frangipani Palace (opposite the gardens and arts place). I stayed there April/May 2018.
Rarely ate there- life changed dramatically 4 days in. Room was good. Location was good. Didn’t use the Wi-fi much.

Okay Boutique. I stayed July/August 2018.
Breakfast was great, room was good, but like many needed some freshening up. Pool was good for a hotel rooftop. Bed broke. Wi-fi marginal/terrible. Booked via Booking.com.

Most other locations I stayed were the cheapest of guest houses, or COVID incarceration. The latter demonstrating just how bad a hotel can be with bad management.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic