Ukraine Refugees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Ukraine Refugees

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

As Rodney King said (I would post link, but don't want to clutter here).... "Can't we all just get along?"

My take on the refugee's from Ukraine (from anywhere for that matter). As long as they ADD to wherever they go, instead of sucking off the system long term (short term is expected) then hopefully they will be welcomed. And yes, there has already been political politics on the Ukraine refugees here in the US, mostly race baiting on the matter from what I see.

Best case is this situation is resolved (not likely) and they may be able to return home.
What, Me worry?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

On a more general note for refugees, worrying, tragic developments..

Human traffickers target Ukrainian refugees arriving across borders

Siret, Romania: One man was detained in Poland suspected of raping a 19-year-old refugee he’d lured with offers of shelter after she fled war-torn Ukraine. Another was overheard promising work and a room to a 16-year-old girl before authorities intervened.

Another case inside a refugee camp at Poland’s Medyka border, raised suspicions when a man was offering help only to women and children. When questioned by police, he changed his story.

Police in Wrocław, Poland, said they detained a 49-year-old suspect on rape charges after he allegedly lured the teenager with offers of help over the internet. The suspect could face up to 12 years in prison for the “brutal crime”, authorities said.

“He met the girl by offering his help via an internet portal,” police said in a statement. “She escaped from war-torn Ukraine, did not speak Polish. She trusted a man who promised to help and shelter her. Unfortunately, all this turned out to be deceitful manipulation.”

Police in Berlin warned women and children in a post on social media in Ukrainian and Russian against accepting offers of overnight stays, and urged them to report anything suspicious.

As millions of women and children flee across Ukraine’s borders in the face of Russian aggression, concerns are growing over how to protect the most vulnerable refugees from being targeted by human traffickers or becoming victims of other forms of exploitation.

Security officials in Romania and Poland said that plain-clothed intelligence officers were on the lookout for criminal elements. In the Romanian border town of Siret, authorities said men offering free rides to women have been sent away.

“Obviously all the refugees are women and children,” said Joung-ah Ghedini-Williams, the UNHCR’s head of global communications, who has visited borders in Romania, Poland and Moldova.

“You have to worry about any potential risks for trafficking — but also exploitation, and sexual exploitation and abuse. These are the kinds of situations that people like traffickers … look to take advantage of,” she said.

Full: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 5a4gj.html
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Query: "Maybe Cambodia can accept some refugees, is there a Ukrainian community here? I will offer to sponsor some refugees as well"

Response: Quick, let's rip this guy to shreds! Let's search his post history and find out how long his visa is, gavinmac showed me! LOL Khmers helping people!

Besides the manaman (sp?) who is an obvious troll, why would that OP be met with such disdain from others? What makes the OP the subject of a gavinmac background check?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:36 pm Cambodia allowed tens of thousands of Vietnamese refugees to stay here during the First Indochinese War.
And we have a decent sized Afghan refugee population here. KH took them in just months back. @gazzy 's ignorance is quite obvious.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 am Do you think it would be a good idea for Cambodia to announce that they would accept a number of refugees from the Ukraine ? Are there any Ukrainian people already living here ?

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and say I would accept a family . Is there a NGO in PP I should contact.
I see your good intentions but if offered to the refugees I think they would say no. Would you go to (poor) Cambodia if you can choose nearly any (rich) european country to sit it out?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As laudable as the op’s intent may be, can you imagine something less helpful to someone traumatized?

Folks who choose to be in a very different country, without some traumatic external influence, have a habit of falling foul of the cultural clash, here.
Now take a refugee, displaced to a completely new country, having pretty much lost everything material that may tie them to home, and then further displaced to somewhere that is so far from what is familiar.

I wonder how many US citizens, here by choice, have actually wanted a good old hamburger, or Brit’s wanting a proper English breakfast. Comfort food? Last week, it was snowing, this week, they (refugees) might be in a country that barely understands the concept of snow. They’d surely need something far better suited?

As to the other references about exploitation; Rely on human nature to have such scum come out and really profit from such a catastrophe.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

It's horrible when people come to a country as a refugee and get treated like this. Fuck this lady. These specific people did nothing to deserve this. It's like being traumatized twice.

Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Interesting clash of ideologies there in Sweden.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

If we go to a muslim country, we have the same problem, no ?? Even worse: If we name male genitalia overthere in a classroom,we get jailed probably, no ??
Its just to accept the countries culture where you are, they should do exactly as we do, and sometimes thats not easy !! If you live in KOW you may laugh a lot about the traffic, of course, we all do, but thats their culture, the country will not change because some high educated barangs dont like it. its their culture, their language, their country. if a muslim goes to Sweden, he has to do the same, start to eat a can of Surstoemming, thats first step to integrate in Sweden, we should do the same and try the Prahok (its in fact even a little similar (sorry swedes) !!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:56 pm Query: "Maybe Cambodia can accept some refugees, is there a Ukrainian community here? I will offer to sponsor some refugees as well"

Response: Quick, let's rip this guy to shreds! Let's search his post history and find out how long his visa is, gavinmac showed me! LOL Khmers helping people!

Besides the manaman (sp?) who is an obvious troll, why would that OP be met with such disdain from others? What makes the OP the subject of a gavinmac background check?
"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones GMJS-CEO" :please:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic