Ukraine Refugees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ukraine Refugees

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:40 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:53 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:32 pm If you’ve really been living here for 18 years (as apposed to visiting every year) you’d know there are indeed Ukrainians living here and you’d probably know some and maybe ask them.
Did OP say that? viz:
what I have done in Cambodia over the last 18 years
Fair enough.
The floor is the OPs to tell us what he’s done and in that 18 years.
Maybe his experience will give us a better perspective and we can answer accordingly or more likely ask him what his thoughts are.
No. Why should he reply to a baiting post?

He's enquiring about potentially supporting Ukrainian refugees..nothing more or less as I read it for now.

Up to him if he wants to elaborate.. Maybe other members feel the same way and want to do something to help..
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

People of the world, spice up your life.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

It shouldn't be too hard to find sponsors for them.

mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Right clutch. I’ll just not reply seeing as he’s had so many people giving sensible answers and not baiting as you so often call my posts.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:41 pm It shouldn't be too hard to find sponsors for them.

mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Is that Poland?
Lots of locals in that picture…
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:54 pm Right clutch. I’ll just not reply seeing as he’s had so many people giving sensible answers and not baiting as you so often call my posts.
Yeah, I get you don't like a mod challenging your posts on this topic. However, if you want to continue be deluded that you're not baiting/trolling/attacking the OP (whatever you prefer to call it), fine up to you but your record of posts are there for all to see. In my judgment, you are and there was no need for it.. Also, trying to have the last word on it here. Why is that? You trying to stir up more dissension?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

After 18 years still hasn't worked out Cambodian Visa's
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:17 pm After 18 years still hasn't worked out Cambodian Visa's
To be fair, as I understand it, there was a quirk in the system due to covid.

Previously, it was the case that if you wanted a visa extension, you needed an ordinary (aka business) visa on arrival or from the embassy for converting that to an extension.

Then, late last year and beginning of this year, they allowed people on a tourist visa to convert for an extension. Presumably to acknowledge that some tourists were stuck here..I'm not sure. Then recently they closed that window of opportunity and went back to the original arrangement.

I think some (including the OP) came here or booked flights expecting they could convert their tourist visa but have since been caught out with the change of rule.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

If you were a ukrainian now, and you get out the country, in about a day driving by car/bus/train (trains are free at the moment in a lot of european countrys for ukrainians), you arrive in a country were you get free food, medicins and even housing, and a temporarily work-permit. Why would you go to Asia ?? Its pretty similar with the Syrians, how much of them escaped to Saudi, Emirates, Qatar ?? Just follow the money, thats how the world works, even on a war !! Think about IBAN and SWIFT ??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic