Ukraine Refugees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Ukraine Refugees

Post by mannanman »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:08 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:32 pm If you’ve really been living here for 18 years (as apposed to visiting every year) you’d know there are indeed Ukrainians living here and you’d probably know some and maybe ask them.
I guess I'm the only member here that does not know a Ukrainian person then. Thats why I asked the questions in the OP. Hey and guess what , I dont know any Poles, Hungarians or Romanians either.

It's easy to see how threads go way off topic when members cannot read or understand what is asked in the OP.
Maybe spread your social circles and you’d be more informed. Try it.
People of the world, spice up your life.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

They will be a valuable labor pool for those countries with labor shortages.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Grand Barong wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:00 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 am Do you think it would be a good idea for Cambodia to announce that they would accept a number of refugees from the Ukraine ? Are there any Ukrainian people already living here ?

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and say I would accept a family . Is there a NGO in PP I should contact.

How do you suppose you are going to accept a Ukrainian family into PP to support/sponsor when you are in KOW on a 30 day tourist visa yourself? :unknown:

Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia
Re: No more tourist visa conversions
Post by Tootsfriend » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:02 pm

Looks like when I arrive I'm trapped with a 30 day tourist visa , extendable for another 30 days. The choice then is to fly to Thailand, apply for a Cambodia tourist e-visa and return , and repeat.
Question,, Can I apply for tourist a e-visa while I am still in Cambodia, so I can fly to Thailand and immediately return on the new visa. I do have a valid second Passport from another country maybe I will have to use that.
OP has since replied that he doesn't necessarily have to be in Cambodia. I'd add to that.. his post you quoted suggests he was hoping to convert his tourist visa to a longer extension (looking for work, retiree et al) until the authorities recently changed that.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:24 pm It’s a caked virtue signalling. It’s a young in-thing.

I’m amounts to posting about how I d like to help but it amounts to Jack shit.
You don't know that.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mannanman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:32 pm If you’ve really been living here for 18 years (as apposed to visiting every year) you’d know there are indeed Ukrainians living here and you’d probably know some and maybe ask them.
Did OP say that? viz:
what I have done in Cambodia over the last 18 years
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

It seems that there are broadly 4 types of posters on CEO:

1. those that largely contribute by adding/sharing news, information about Cambodia in a constructive/positive manner.

2. as per 1, AND engage in a healthy discussion with respect of other member's views

3. those that largely contribute only by picking up, calling to account and/or 'critiquing' other members views and posts. Rarely do they contribute to the forum in a constructive/positive manner, rather it's done in a keyboard warrior fashion designed to 'get one up' or put a member down. Often off topic or a cheap shot at someone and designed to derail a good topic.

4. those that contribute in a mix of 1, 2 and 3.

Just sayin'...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:05 pm It seems that there are broadly 4 types of posters on CEO:

1. those that largely contribute by adding/sharing news, information about Cambodia in a constructive/positive manner.

2. as per 1, AND engage in a healthy discussion with respect of other member's views

3. those that largely contribute only by picking up, calling to account and/or 'critiquing' other members views and posts. Rarely do they contribute to the forum in a constructive/positive manner, rather it's done in a keyboard warrior fashion designed to 'get one up' or put a member down. Often off topic or a cheap shot at someone and designed to derail a good topic.

4. Mods that have to act as 'CEO Peacekeepers'

5. those that contribute in a mix of 1, 2, 3 and 4

FTFY

God bless the mods.

Just sayin'...
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:53 pm
Did OP say that? viz:
what I have done in Cambodia over the last 18 years
Fair enough.
The floor is the OPs to tell us what he’s done and in that 18 years.
Maybe his experience will give us a better perspective and we can answer accordingly or more likely ask him what his thoughts are.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
It's the sort of thing that stifles members from posting and starting topics. Seemed to me that OP created a genuine topic with good intentions yet, he's called to account as to the genuineness of his intent.. I just don't see the need for this at the onset. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm seeing far too much of this lately from certain members and this topic epitomised that..

OP- here's a real human story that many can relate to here: post538101.html#p538101
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:43 pm ^^
It's the sort of thing that stifles members from posting and starting topics. Seemed to me that OP created a genuine topic with good intentions yet, he's called to account as to the genuineness of his intent.. I just don't see the need for this at the onset. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm seeing far too much of this lately from certain members and this topic epitomised that..

OP- here's a real human story that many can relate to here: post538101.html#p538101
Agreed. Sure if you start going into details the OP might not be able to provide all the needs of a refugee family and maybe he/she didn't think it all through, ran it by lawyers and checked with his/her local politicians.

Umm. Could there maybe be something more important to take from this thread? Would it be plausible to host Ukrainian refugees here in Cambodia?

Personally I think they will be much better taken care of in their neighboring countries or anywhere in Europe for that matter. Even Scandinavian countries are literally sending buses to the borders of Ukraine it order to bring refugees to safety. There is very little reason for anyone of them to come here unless they are shell shocked and running as far as possible.

Coming to Cambodia vs say Germany of Norway would probably be a bad idea when starting from zero and in need of all kinds of medical / therapy etc.

So no, we should not try to bring refugees here, let Europe deal with it they have more experience and are more motivated than usual.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic