Western Man Gets iPhone Snatched

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Western Man Gets iPhone Snatched

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 5:50 pm on March 11, 2022, in front of an apartment on 460 Street, Sangkat Toul Tompoung 1, Khan Chamkar Maun, a foreign man got his iPhone 8 snatched by two male thieves who successfully escaped the scene on their motorbike. According to the victim, he tried to chase down the suspects, but they got away.
According to the neighbors, the area constantly attracts many robbers as it's a hotspot for the foreigners staying in Phnom Penh.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Western Man Gets iPhone Snatched

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Not victim bashing, but when will people learn :facepalm:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Never had an issue in Thailand with this, but it looks like when I get to Cambodia my phone will be locked up in my safe when I go out.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

.Just try not to hold your phone in front of you while crossing busy streets. Nobody has ever tried to steal my phone here. It's bullshit thinking you can't use a phone on the streets, it's not 1998 anymore.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:31 am .Just try not to hold your phone in front of you while crossing busy streets. Nobody has ever tried to steal my phone here. It's bullshit thinking you can't use a phone on the streets, it's not 1998 anymore.
I know, just being a little sarcastic. I can’t walk and use my phone at the same time anyway. Lol
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

He could have been sitting outside using his phone or taking a photo maybe answering a call, who knows only him, either way it's a bad experience and not his fault.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:00 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:31 am .Just try not to hold your phone in front of you while crossing busy streets. Nobody has ever tried to steal my phone here. It's bullshit thinking you can't use a phone on the streets, it's not 1998 anymore.
I know, just being a little sarcastic. I can’t walk and use my phone at the same time anyway. Lol
Many tourists use GPS to find their ways around town. I do too. I got warning from locals many times when in Cambodia and Vietnam. I stored away my phone on a straight road, until the next turn.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

"It's not 1998 anymore" ............ We didn't have phones here in 1998 if I recall correctly. Had to go to one of those little booths that were on every corner and pay the lady to make a call for you on her phone.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 am Never had an issue in Thailand with this, but it looks like when I get to Cambodia my phone will be locked up in my safe when I go out.
You don't need to be that paranoid. If you have your phone on a strap around your neck, tuck it inside your shirt, which of course applies to any kind of bag with money, passport, credit cards (actually keep that one in your britches).

If you carry your phone in a pocket, keep in in there until you're away from the road. If you sit down in a restaurant, bar, cafe, sit inside instead of the sidewalk/gutter/pavement.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:00 am
We are going to see many more of these now tourist numbers are up again. New faces means new opportunities. Most will go unreported.

You should never walk while looking at your phone, not just because of theft, more because of the tripping hazards and getting mowed down.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic