the 7/11 invasion begins outside PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

the 7/11 invasion begins outside PP

Post by phuketrichard »

waiting for someone ot be brave and hopeful and open one in Kep or Kampot

7-Eleven has opened its first store outside Phnom Penh – in Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet town – with the official Grand Opening held on Friday, March 11.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/gallery/f ... GEXA26ryHA
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: the 7/11 invasion begins outside PP

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:45 am waiting for someone ot be brave and hopeful and open one in Kep or Kampot

7-Eleven has opened its first store outside Phnom Penh – in Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet town – with the official Grand Opening held on Friday, March 11.

Don't set your hopes too high. The selection and prices are nothing like the ones in Thailand. Prices are roughly double, and selection less than 50%.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:45 am waiting for someone ot be brave and hopeful and open one in Kep or Kampot

Do you really want Cambodia to look like little America, 7/11 Subway, maccas in every town
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The Mekong Crossing guesthouse in Kampong Cham is no more, but a 7-Eleven or a copy of so.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:27 am

Do you really want Cambodia to look like little America, 7/11 Subway, maccas in every town
Definitely agree. Convenience stores (here in Vietnam, it's mostly Circle KKK and Manson Family Mart) are generally annoying, cramped, noisy, and full of stuff you don't want or can get elsewhere. Plus, they're an eyesore with their plastic brightly-lit appearance.

Supporting local markets and mom and pop businesses should be everyone's priority.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

How many are there now in Phnom Penh? And are they as good as the ones in Thailand? In terms of product range etc.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

How many threads do we need for 7/11? The only people who ever get excited about them are Thai expats. I'm pretty sure there's already a lengthy one about their "imminent" opening in the news section.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:13 pm How many threads do we need for 7/11? The only people who ever get excited about them are Thai expats.
That's because, up until the last time I visited a minimart in Phnom Penh (pre-Covid in 2019), they were such a letdown compared with even the smallest 7/11 in the smallest Thai sub district town.

For my upcoming visit to Phnom Penh, I'd much prefer to find a Thai-style 7/11, but I don't know if that's realistic or not (hence my question). For example, Burger King is great in Thailand but sucks in Cambodia and Vietnam. Starbucks, on the other hand, is very consistent across those three countries.

If this topic is of no interest to you, guess what, you don't need to participate.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:27 am

nope, but i'd love a 7/11 as thailand, where can be assured if i buy something it will be quality goods at a good price an when i return in a month they will stock the same items>>

even thou have been out of the states for over half my life, i still love the things that come from America.

would u prefer little Peking? :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:14 pm

would u prefer little Peking? :stir:
I would prefer little France and Phnom Penh is pretty close, that's why I've lived there for so long. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic