Missing Schoolgirl Found Murdered

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Missing Schoolgirl Found Murdered

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:43 am
scott61 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:14 am The case is solved? No trial?
Steady on, they only just found the body.
No, John. The girls body was found on March 9, at 10:30 PM.
Last year.

Pedantry aside, I do hope that the forthcoming release of the ‘full story’ means that they’ve not only identified the killer, but apprehended home, also.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:37 am
Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:18 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:43 am
scott61 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:14 am The case is solved? No trial?
Steady on, they only just found the body.
No, John. The girls body was found on March 9, at 10:30 PM.
Last year.

Pedantry aside, I do hope that the forthcoming release of the ‘full story’ means that they’ve not only identified the killer, but apprehended home, also.
The story says the police have 'solved' the case and the killer's identity is to be released. Suggests they have apprehended him and 'are not looking for anyone else..' as the police always say when they are sure they have caught the person they believe to be the perpetrator. Whether they did it or not used to be irrelevant in the West and seems to be true here too (at least in this case), because they are claiming it the case is closed.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fair enough points but the system here works in mysterious ways.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:43 pm Fair enough points but the system here works in mysterious ways.
I know you are not implying that young Liza's death is a part of these mysterious ways. But I must say, this thread, at least imho, is not a great time or place to be defending whatever you love about the "system" here, especially in such an ambiguous manner. I'm not going to lie, reading that post that I've quoted leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. I would describe it as overzealous. Certainly at least for me, when I see a young life ground up in the fodder like this poor little angel, my mind will wander more to a system's failing
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I think it’s mild describing the workings of the system as mysterious. I don’t think that opinion in any way defends the ‘system’.

newsworthy/brigadier-accused-killing-2y ... 13-10.html

There is a very serious inconsistency in the way justice works in the country, not least because the system is heavily populated by people totally unsuited to the positions that they’ve been given or bought into.
Every single report of a child dying, either through criminal activity, shear negligence, or apathy is so obviously tragic.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This was posted yesterday with the headline "The little victim is about to get justice!" "នាងតូចរងគ្រោះជិតទទួលបានយុត្តិធម៌ហើយ !"
But still no details.
Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police arrested a suspect on April 28, 2023 in Tumnup K5 village, Sangkat Krong, Poipet, Banteay Meanchey province.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

According to the Khmer Times article, the child was killed in a road accident. But then the family helped cover it up.

If the guy who ran over the kid fessed up from the beginning, it could have been a negotiation of settlement between families, like most road accidents are in Cambodia.

Now it’s going to be much, much worse.

RIP poor kid.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

As far as I can work out that's just the alibi the conspirators who buried the corpse came up with. It's quite possible she was murdered and this whole road accident story has been fabricated. Let's see.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:29 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:43 pm Fair enough points but the system here works in mysterious ways.
I know you are not implying that young Liza's death is a part of these mysterious ways. But I must say, this thread, at least imho, is not a great time or place to be defending whatever you love about the "system" here, especially in such an ambiguous manner. I'm not going to lie, reading that post that I've quoted leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. I would describe it as overzealous. Certainly at least for me, when I see a young life ground up in the fodder like this poor little angel, my mind will wander more to a system's failing
The failings of a justice system can be seen as crucial in this case as any others where there is a murder (assuming this to be true here). If the police are under pressure to make an arrest from an unsettled public or media, then their MO may be to lock up the village idiot, who serves life in prison for no other reason than having a low IQ and buckling under coercion to confess to something he hasn't done. Meanwhile the perpetrator is free to commit more crime and usually does. This happened frequently, and probably still happens in the West, and from my understanding of Cambodian criminal justice it is not unlikely to be happening here.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic