Perceived Levels of Crime

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Perceived Levels of Crime

Post by EdinWigan »

You are right. I think Social Media affords two things and together they make a very powerful potential catalyst for change. Information and Communication
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

EdinWigan wrote:You are right. I think Social Media affords two things and together they make a very powerful potential catalyst for change. Information and Communication
It's also a powerful tool when used to control a population. It offers information and communication, but also propaganda and surveillance. Law enforcement strategies involving informants and disinformation (psyops) remain effective even online.

One may argue that the Khmer civilization is ready to verify sources properly, anyone remember the 2003 riots?
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I think with the current political cooperation at the top, it's unlikely that there will be any civil unrest... Rainsy's co-option to take part in government means there's no-one to riot for.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I think with the current political cooperation at the top, it's unlikely that there will be any civil unrest... Rainsy's co-option to take part in government means there's no-one to riot for.
The civil unrest, should it occur, will be anti-govt, anti-HS, anti-yuon, not necessarily pro-Rainsy or pro-anything except perhaps 'Khmer.' Rainsy's capitulation, if that is how it is viewed (which seems to be the trend), may be an exacerbating factor rather than a calming one.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

LTO wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:I think with the current political cooperation at the top, it's unlikely that there will be any civil unrest... Rainsy's co-option to take part in government means there's no-one to riot for.
The civil unrest, should it occur, will be anti-govt, anti-HS, anti-yuon, not necessarily pro-Rainsy or pro-anything except perhaps 'Khmer.' Rainsy's capitulation, if that is how it is viewed (which seems to be the trend), may be an exacerbating factor rather than a calming one.
I agree. Still lots of guns around. After the DK gov, there is no way you'd get me to hand mine in to anyone. It's getting buried along with the gold.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

juansweetpotato wrote:
LTO wrote:
I agree. Still lots of guns around. After the DK gov, there is no way you'd get me to hand mine in to anyone. It's getting buried along with the gold.
I do not think guns will play a significant role in any civil unrest that may occur, and if they do it won't be civil unrest, but insurrection.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

I need a serious version of this - :popcorn:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
GonzoBobH
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GonzoBobH »

If you really want to know, find a couple of people who have lived here a long time (and preferably don't have some stake in the tourist industry) and just ask them. They'll probably be able to give you a fairly accurate assessment of the general level. Be satisfied that it's not perfect, there is an element of opinion, and it's the best you are going to get here.
How is this any more accurate than statements on these or other forums? I take it all with a grain of salt, but absorb as many sources as possible to make a better assessment. Don't see how one is more generally reliable than the other.
It's all foma ~ kv
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

juansweetpotato wrote: I agree. Still lots of guns around. After the DK gov, there is no way you'd get me to hand mine in to anyone. It's getting buried along with the gold.
:D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic