Are there 50 cent tuk tuk rides?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Are there 50 cent tuk tuk rides?

Post by mannanman »

Ryan754326 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:44 pm
Yes, because the Indian tuktuks came in very quickly around five years ago, for a while they were all new but now they are all getting old.
I can understand why the drivers prefer the Indian style tuk tuks, but the Cambodian ones are a lot more comfortable for the passengers, and have a lot more character.
Yes but I can never find one available on PassApp.
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

But the old type can't cut through the traffic.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

mannanman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:30 am Yes but I can never find one available on PassApp.
Try Grab.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

mannanman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:22 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:38 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:55 pm There are 3000 riel tuktuk rides on Grab, and you don't have to haggle.
Yes, I don't know why anyone these days would put themselves through haggling with rip-off drivers.
I don’t know how these PassApp drivers make money.
Me neither, but then, I don't know how many business make money here to be honest. Apart from Aeon, every other mall I've ever been in has always been pretty much devoid of any customers whatsoever. Take a walk down most streets in PP, even the busier, more affluent areas, and you'll rarely see any customers in any of the shops. I find it bizarre how many of these business continue to operate.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Online deliveries... There's tons of wealth here. I personally find it way more "visible" than elsewhere. Bustling coffee shops, goods being delivered everywhere etc.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

xandreu wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:25 am
mannanman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:22 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:38 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:55 pm There are 3000 riel tuktuk rides on Grab, and you don't have to haggle.
Yes, I don't know why anyone these days would put themselves through haggling with rip-off drivers.
I don’t know how these PassApp drivers make money.
Me neither, but then, I don't know how many business make money here to be honest. Apart from Aeon, every other mall I've ever been in has always been pretty much devoid of any customers whatsoever. Take a walk down most streets in PP, even the busier, more affluent areas, and you'll rarely see any customers in any of the shops. I find it bizarre how many of these business continue to operate.
Most of those businesses are chains or franchises and they know that some areas are not going to make money for some years. If they didn’t get that spot and get their name out there now then it’d be an uphill struggle in the good times, even if they could find a prime spot. I doubt any of those shops in Aeon make a profit (especially since Covid), which is why many have online stores that support their physical one, but also there’s enough cash to keep them going. Basic business operation.

Even the smaller enterprises know it’ll be tough for a few years until they establish themselves. The even smaller single stores ones struggle because lack of cash, bad rent contracts and unfair supplier repayment time frames, all the big stores have the clout to get them in their favour - sometimes six months credit whilst the small operators will be on 30 days.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:14 pm
I'd say the remorques are a good deal safer too. RIP Channthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kak_Channthy
That’s what was thinking, the driver has a lot more protection in the event of crash. Better protection from the weather too.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There is nothing safe about either tuk-tuk style for drivers. I can dig up pics on local news of a human barbeque on a turned over remorque after a minor ding with a car, or what looked like somebody left the abbatoir door open for 50 metres on Monivong bridge after a mix up with a 30-ton truck. No thanks.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic