Are there 50 cent tuk tuk rides?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are there 50 cent tuk tuk rides?

Post by John Bingham »

mannanman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:22 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:38 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:55 pm There are 3000 riel tuktuk rides on Grab, and you don't have to haggle.
Yes, I don't know why anyone these days would put themselves through haggling with rip-off drivers.
I don’t know how these PassApp drivers make money.
Well I always tip them unless they fuck up by going the wrong direction or something.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Yes, yes there is...

Couldn't help myself. That's 50cents the rapper as a tuk tuk driver.
What, Me worry?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

mannanman wrote:
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:55 pm There are 3000 riel tuktuk rides on Grab, and you don't have to haggle.
Yes, I don't know why anyone these days would put themselves through haggling with rip-off drivers.
By actually working instead of lounging around for six hours then asking for $8 to go two blocks, as used to be the norm.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

They run on LPG and get phenomenal mpg. And they keep busy by being on the Apps.

The other tuktuk business model is to hang out outside a tourist hotel and wait a long time to get the odd high-paying ride. In the meantime they can try to win money off their mates at cards.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

5$ tug tug thread perhaps Simon?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:02 pm
They run on LPG and get phenomenal mpg. And they keep busy by being on the Apps.

The other tuktuk business model is to hang out outside a tourist hotel and wait a long time to get the odd high-paying ride. In the meantime they can try to win money off their mates at cards.
Well they don’t spend money on maintenance which is a great business model for the importers!
People of the world, spice up your life.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

mannanman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 pm

Well they don’t spend money on maintenance which is a great business model for the importers!
Yes, because the Indian tuktuks came in very quickly around five years ago, for a while they were all new but now they are all getting old.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:44 pm
mannanman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes, because the Indian tuktuks came in very quickly around five years ago, for a while they were all new but now they are all getting old.
They were also about $1600 now $3500+.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

I can understand why the drivers prefer the Indian style tuk tuks, but the Cambodian ones are a lot more comfortable for the passengers, and have a lot more character.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Ryan754326 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:50 pm
I can understand why the drivers prefer the Indian style tuk tuks, but the Cambodian ones are a lot more comfortable for the passengers, and have a lot more character.
I'd say the remorques are a good deal safer too. RIP Channthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kak_Channthy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic