The War in Ukraine - Updates and Info

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The War in Ukraine - Updates and Info

Post by Doc67 »

The Moskva was destroyed in the black Sea earlier this week. Ukraine says it hit the ship with two Neptune anti-ship missiles,

That's quite a coup for the Ukrainians. I was wondering what are "Neptune" missiles and where they came from. I was wondering if they were a latest piece of western military technology. It turns out they are about as basic an anti-ship missile you can get.

The Neptune is a Ukrainian homemade re-design from an old soviet missile, the KH35. The KH35 was designed in 1983 as a cheap and easy to use missile as the others systems they had were very expensive. The Neptune is subsonic at 0.8 mach. These were replaced by missiles like the Russian Oniks missiles are supersonic at Mach 3. The Russians now have hypersonic ones, the Kh-47M2 Kinzhal, that go up to Mach 10 and have been using them in Ukraine.

The big question is how this basic weapon could pierce the anti-missile defences of the Moskva, the flagship of the Black Sea fleet? Apparently, they sent in drones to harass the ship and keep their defences busy while they launched the Neptunes. However, that has been questioned because thee Moskva's air and missile defence systems are separate.

Ukrainian officials say that Bayraktar [their drones] was used to distract the Moskva’s air defenses. This is possible, but seems unlikely, as the Moskva’s anti-aircraft and anti-missile defenses are carried out by two distinct systems –long-range SA-N-6 Grumble long-range missiles would have been used against the Bayraktar, leaving its multibarreled AK-630 cannons — the Russian equivalent to the U.S. Phalanx system – free to engage incoming missiles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambl ... 7541c3a7aa

Whether the reason was incompetence or an inherent weakness, one thing is for sure; Putin will be livid and latest reports are of new missile attacks on Kyiv.

There is a good analysis of this matter here:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/15/euro ... index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-360_Neptune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-800_Oniks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:51 am Putin is playing chess ..... Biden is playing checkers ....... ;-)

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Market ... e-invasion
What kind of rabbit hole does a person need to descend into support a murderous thug like Putin? More Qtardery.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:01 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:51 am Putin is playing chess ..... Biden is playing checkers ....... ;-)

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Market ... e-invasion
What kind of rabbit hole does a person need to descend into support a murderous thug like Putin? More Qtardery.

Who is supporting Putin ??

I’m just unwilling to buy into the whole “Russia bad !! Ukraine good !!” bs .... If you continue to believe there are ‘good guys’ and ‘bad guys’ when it comes to international politics, including conflicts, that’s your prerogative.

Yeah yeah, I know your argument John ..... ‘Only one country invaded another’ ..... Its lazy and quite possibly hypocritical ..... Were you anti NATO when they were bombing Yugoslavia into rubble .... And anti American when they invaded ... well everywhere ?? Or do you just automatically side against Russia ?

My position is they are all corrupt vile douches ... unfit to lead a generally good hearted citizenry ..... While I commiserate with the innocent people of Ukraine in this point in time, to dismiss this as 100% the fault of Putin and share no blame on expansionism on the part of NATO is intellectually dishonest.

As always, soldiers die, citizens are displaced at best, unjustifiably killed at worse and politicians and their arms dealing manipulators reap new power and wealth.

As to my post ..... besides your inaccurate assertion it’s based on one sided support .... Is my premise wrong ? Or do you believe President Biden is managing his part of the conflict better than Putin ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The war is between Russia and Ukraine. Since when was NATO expansion such a concern to you? Is it because Trump had issues with it? Cult members never deviate from his script.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:12 pm The war is between Russia and Ukraine. Since when was NATO expansion such a concern to you? Is it because Trump had issues with it? Cult members never deviate from his script.
How quick you are to insults, never a counter argument of value.

If you're unaware this is primarily Putin's response to NATO expansion and Ukraines request to join NATO, dispite guarantees after the fall of the Berlin Wall well as one frequent poster likes to say ... Educate yourself.

What has Trump got to do with anything I've said .... Oh, your version of a back handed insult??

So now I'm a Qtard, & a Trump cultist, always the name calling and associating any opinion you don't agree with groups you don't agree with, you know, there are some who think for themselves, try it sometime, it's liberating .... You talk a lot, assume even more .... Unfortunately never say much of value .... Pity .... But hey John you do you ....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:49 pm

If you're unaware this is primarily Putin's response to NATO expansion and Ukraines request to join NATO, dispite guarantees after the fall of the Berlin Wall well as one frequent poster likes to say ... Educate yourself.
If you are unaware - that is Putin's line. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence though because as you said you don't support him and you are just thinking for yourself. :shock:
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:14 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:49 pm

If you are unaware - that is Putin's line. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence though because as you said you don't support him and you are just thinking for yourself. :shock:
Just because this is Putin's main argument doesn't make it a lie .... Familiarize yourself with who was NATO members at the fall of the wall and subsequently the USSR .... Now look at a map of member states today .... If you don't see an increase and an encroachment on the western border of Russia well you're willingly blind.

But I've never seen the truth stop you before from maintaining a incorrect position.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, I remember how concerned you always were about NATO expansion.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

When has the NATO ever started a war?

It's a defence pact.
The reason they all want to join is because of what they went through during the sowjet regime!

Thanks to Fox news et al this still & again & again needs to be explained.
Last edited by Dario on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Latest Misha Firer's post :

"It seems the Russian people feel a lot of patriotism and national pride. Why do they do that, even though the Russian economy has lagged behind for decades, and the standard if living in Russia is inferior to the one Western people enjoy?
Originally Answered: It seems the Russian people feel much of patriotism and national pride. Why they do that, even though Russian economy is lagging behind for decades and the live standard in Russia is inferior to the one Western people enjoy?

A Failing State

Russia as a state has failed so many times, it became skilful at causing and coping with failure, and should be given its own category: a failing state.

The category denotes a nation that can’t muster up collective courage to topple a despot, or build a functioning democracy, and yet doesn’t collapse entirely, thus existing from one major crises to the next in a quasi-legal torpor.

Cyberpunk Paradise

I like to think of the future of Russia as a cyberpunk paradise existing in a post-globalisation dystopia, where global climate change is wreaking havoc, and no “green technology” had been able to revert the process.

A paramilitary zone where boys are taught to use weapons in kindergartens and schools to safeguard Chinese interests to the east of the EU, and women are objectified for entertainment, packaged and sold for marriage overseas.

Where you can round up willing “volunteers” to test new weapons, or conduct illegal clinical trial of potent new drugs, harvest organs and set up nurseries for protected animals, plant poppies, run terrorist training camps.

Where hackers work for Western clients to break into their company’s competitor’s computer system and get paid in cryptos that have been rendered illegal elsewhere.

The Writing on the Wall
Russia can’t manufacture print paper. They did manage brown cardboard sheets that’ll break down your printer. Moreover, Russia doesn’t produce her own nails. You'll have hard time building a wooden hut in the Siberian wilderness where government promises free land. Obviously, without any electric supply or plumping or roads.

Russia is dropping $5 million bombs on cities and towns of Ukraine, while its soldiers are so poor they steal undies to send their wives.
A desktop for the best school students of the class features a biography of a general who participated in “the counter-terrorist operation” in Chechnya that saw 300,000 civilians killed with airstrikes, tanks, RPGs, and Kalashnikovs.

I’m trying to figure out the message to kids here. If you study hard, you’ll have an honor of being killed during a special military operation in a friendly fire after all the equipment has been stolen, funds embezzled, by a conscript who didn’t know how to handle the gun?
An open air military museum exhibit? Not anymore. According to the Conflict Intelligence Team, Zil-131 trucks manufactured in 1976 are shipped to Ukraine from as far as Tyumen. What are they gonna ship next, bicycles?

Russian expendable cargo spacecraft Progress developed in 1978 will be renamed Donbas. Might as well because no progress in the space program will be made anyways."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic