More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Post by rogerrabbit »

What is your rent budget?

If your budget is +$600, then I would look into BKK1 and Tonle Bassac. In these areas practically all condos have pool. You have all the supermarkets, cafes, restaurants, gyms, etc. within walking distance.

If your budget is below $600 then I would also look into BKK2/3 areas, as well as Diamond Island (Koh Pich).
Diamond Island has bit less restaurants and cafes but you are within walking distance to Tonle Bassac and Riverside (riverside promenade so you don't have to walk next to traffic which is a big plus). As it's island, it has pretty nice breeze always. Few nice bars/cafes in park style setting too. With tuktuk all the places are within minutes. This area is probably also the quietest one too.

BKK2/3 areas are still pretty local but still you have your western marts/supermarkets, restaurants and cafes. Tuol Tompoung area is within minutes too, that has lot of restaurants, bars and cafes. You can find more local style apartments (lower budget) but also modern condos that are reasonable priced ($400-$600 1br). The area has few gyms too. And still everything is pretty close by with tuktuk/motorbike. You can even walk to BKK1 area no problem. Also these areas can be quieter than BKK1.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I did look at the Seasons Residence, and it looked pretty good, and most importantly, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it looks like 144 and 148 are easy walks to 130 and 136. Somebody stated to list what someone was looking for, so here what I’m looking for:

I can do about $1,000-$1,100 per month, can go a little more but can also go less, LOL, for rent, electricity, water, cable, and a place where I can get my own internet modem, and a place where there are no alley entrance, LOL, and a place that can’t be accessed by just anyone. I would like for there to be good restaurants, preferably Thai, and of course some good open-air watering holes close within walking distance to where I decide to live.

In a nutshell, that is what I’m looking for.

I know it would be best to wait until I get there to look, and being bored I’m online all the time looking, but I like to prepare and get the geographical area down to know where to start.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

The Riverside is a good starting point, it caters to all newcomers. Just be careful handing out genuine $100 bills to anyone. Over time, you can slowly work towards areas west of Monivong. You could do the Riverside-BKK1-BKK2-BKK3-TTP route before disappearing into the wide areas beyond 271, where true long-termers find solace and refuge here. Well done and good luck!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kenr wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:17 am I did look at the Seasons Residence, and it looked pretty good, and most importantly, and please correct me if I’m wrong, it looks like 144 and 148 are easy walks to 130 and 136. Somebody stated to list what someone was looking for, so here what I’m looking for:

I can do about $1,000-$1,100 per month, can go a little more but can also go less, LOL, for rent, electricity, water, cable, and a place where I can get my own internet modem, and a place where there are no alley entrance, LOL, and a place that can’t be accessed by just anyone. I would like for there to be good restaurants, preferably Thai, and of course some good open-air watering holes close within walking distance to where I decide to live.

In a nutshell, that is what I’m looking for.

I know it would be best to wait until I get there to look, and being bored I’m online all the time looking, but I like to prepare and get the geographical area down to know where to start.
144 (Season's Residence, with apartments varying in price from ~500 to 650, that I saw) is the next street after 136 so, yes, crawling distance. Mind you, anywhere is walking distance.

For your budget, you can get a private pool, off your lounge, all expenses, Riverside/view (obviously restaurants aplenty), and you walk out your door into the bar scene. But no kitchen. Smart do a personal router starting at $12/mth, incl. 2GB free data/mth.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

If you want to see what kind of apartments there are, this is pretty good place to start.
Apartments https://www.khmer24.com/en/property/apa ... -rent.html
Houses: https://www.khmer24.com/en/property/house-for-rent.html

There are good filters for price and location, to narrow down what you're looking for.
When you click some interesting one, there is usually link to the google maps on the right hand size.
Plenty of ads in Khmer, but if you use chrome browser, just right click the mouse and choose " Translate to English "
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i payed in seasons 2 months ago, 650 plus 100 for electricity, you have own WIFI and pretty good cable-tv with about 80 channels. 2 clean-ups a week, there is security 24/7 at the reception and garage, you can park your car inside with security, (no idea if its free), my belgian friend left his KTM-bike there in march 2020 and came back november 2021 and it was still in perfect condition, just the batterie was fucked, always walked nighttime from 130 to 144 and knever had issues, i heard about an attack on an aussi guy near pickled parrot on 136, but knever see bad things on 144. And next door is a pretty nice Lucky-market !!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Here's the flat I mentioned earlier;
post537091.html#p537091
Scarier than malaria.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:49 pm i payed in seasons 2 months ago, 650 plus 100 for electricity, you have own WIFI and pretty good cable-tv with about 80 channels. 2 clean-ups a week, there is security 24/7 at the reception and garage, you can park your car inside with security, (no idea if its free), my belgian friend left his KTM-bike there in march 2020 and came back november 2021 and it was still in perfect condition, just the batterie was fucked, always walked nighttime from 130 to 144 and knever had issues, i heard about an attack on an aussi guy near pickled parrot on 136, but knever see bad things on 144. And next door is a pretty nice Lucky-market !!
Did the pickled parrot move to 136?

I remember going to it when it was on 104... looking at maps.google.com it shows a "Sopheajeva Mart & Laudry" at that location.

First time I visited PP was in 2006, was looking for western food and saw ad in Bayon Pearnk paper/magazine. Owner was Aussie and had new kid with Khmer wife, nice guy. When I went back last in 2018 (stayed there) the owner was a different person. Now it's gone and moved?
What, Me worry?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

PICKLED parrot is on 136 close to norodom, i would say almost 4 years, the old building on 104 is demolished and probably new appartements in the future ??
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Need someone to clarify exactly where the Seasons Residence is located. I know it’s on 144, but is it next to street 19? On one location on the map it shows a few blocks from the river and another shows much, a lot, further down away from the river.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic