More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:46 am Can anyone give any particular condo/apt names for the Daun Penh area for LTR between 110-136, probably east of 51st street, closer to the river the better? Near good food and good drinks. I’ve been searching online on some real estate sites, but trying to narrow it down to specific locations/areas on the sites has been quite the task.
Most highrise / modern condos are located West of street 51. On the eastern side you will find more typical Phnom Penh 3-4 storey older style apartments accessed through back alleys.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:46 am Can anyone give any particular condo/apt names for the Daun Penh area for LTR between 110-136, probably east of 51st street, closer to the river the better? Near good food and good drinks. I’ve been searching online on some real estate sites, but trying to narrow it down to specific locations/areas on the sites has been quite the task.
Go to Sisowath Quay. There is a condo block above Orphic with a new roof garden bar (so noise might be an issue) and I hear there is another block that has just been completed above or very near the new ABA branch, a 8 storey building. These are all between 154 and 144.

There aren't many condo blocks in Riverside and what is available is expensive for what you get. On the whole the housing stock here is terrible compared to western standards and frequently expensive for inexplicable reasons. Khmer landlords get an idea in their heads of what it should rent for and there is no coming down from that. If you find a nice place with a silly rental demand, just move on.

You might want to get yourself a good agent, the do exist. I know this guy, he has been around for years and knows the market. I have never used him personally (still in my first place) but if I did need an agent I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

https://www.phnompenhrealestate.net/age ... y-peoples/
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Bkk3. Close to BKK market, close to everywhere. Plenty of condos, where you get a 1BR apartment with gym and pool for 500$.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I live near Toul Sleng and it's a short drive/ bike ride to BKK1's supermarkets and swimming pools. 15 minutes to riverside.

The 2nd floor unit of my building is currently empty but there's a construction site across the street, which is intermittently noisy. I can post some photos if you're interested.
Scarier than malaria.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pricey for Cambodia, then on the other hand for a capital city it's not pricey at all comparing other world capitals. There are 14 districts (Karns) different areas of the city with a wide range of accommodation for rental, with also a variation of price range and rental agreements, electricity and water price will usually be that of the state price, but can also be variable depending on what the landlords want to charge.
I would think it therefore suit's people from overseas, and that of their different needs and lifestyle.
Area, that suits your needs, such has restaurants and bars, parks, open spaces, in general something to entertain or keep oneself occupied.
Rentals available from that of a Room type accommodation (that will be a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen, possibly also an outside area). To an extravagant multi bed/bathroom Villa on one of the many cities Borey's. Price ranges from the room accommodation $40+ to Villas in the price range of $1,000s per month. Also do you go for furnished or unfurnished properties, or even the 12-month contract, or stick with the pay one month's advance.
There's a lot of properties to choose from, depending on your personal budget.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I stayed over newyear a month on season residence, its on 144 between 15 and 19.
ITS a 5 min walk to the riverside. Payed 650 US plus electricity (+100), western service appartement, 2 cleans a week, nice staff, good english spoken.
First time i tried, and if staying longer then a month, will go there again !!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Daun Penh/ Prampi Makara districts are central and convenient, however the entrances to apartments can be less than desirable. Often the entrance will be down a dark alley, sometimes with slummy hovels along them, then dark stairwells. I prefer having a gate on the street. There are quite streets around the city, 350 in BKK2 for example. Some streets are thoroughfares and can have traffic at any time but there are many less used streets that are relatively quiet. Of course as others have said this can change any day and there's a whole lot of construction going on.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I appreciate the responses from everyone.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

ali baba wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:18 am I live near Toul Sleng and it's a short drive/ bike ride to BKK1's supermarkets and swimming pools. 15 minutes to riverside.

The 2nd floor unit of my building is currently empty but there's a construction site across the street, which is intermittently noisy. I can post some photos if you're interested.
Yes please
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I've found living in a place where the owner and their family live in the same building to have distinct benefits, especially over the last year with getting vaccine registration etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic