More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: More stupid questions - areas of Phnom Penh

Post by Freightdog »

Yes. You need a good look around, and wait a while.
The place we had on St148, first floor, was a great corner apartment, 2 beds, huge lounge, 2 typical Cambodian bathrooms. I liked it a lot.

We checked the place out over a few days- seemed quiet, no excessive noise…. And then; in the evenings, the bar noise started up big time.

Then some shit set up a scrap metal shop in a skip outside. I couldn’t hear the family when calling by messenger from abroad. 6am-until whenever the fuck he liked. Other half complained, he told her what he thought.
She moved. 4 weeks.

Quiet is a relative thing.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Haha nightmare.

I remember moving into a nice quiet flat in London, but then the neighbour turned out to be an unhinged death metal listening satan worshipper who used to freak my girlfriend out.

I can deal with noise at night, I sleep through almost anything.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

BKK2
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Apparition wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Spigzy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:11 pm You need to give a few more details tbh; are you a solo guy, here with family, looking for a busy social area, looking for peace & quiet, etc. There's a bit of PP for everyone, give some more deets & you'll get better recommendations.
Yes good point. I'm going solo, but I'm also 40, so not in need of being in the thick of it 24/7. I'd like to be near-ish to some decent restaurants/bars though...also a good gym.

I will be writing music at home, on open backed headphones, which means I need it to be at least reasonably quiet in the daytime.
Sounds like you need Toul Kork - can vouch for it for the past 14 years..

1. Bars/Restaurants - TK Avenue for Metro Azura, Aeon 2 is close, all the usual fast food places if you need those, Samba (1000% better than the one near Independence M), etc. No trouble to order from Brooklyn or others in town via Nham24, never had a problem with food. Local markets Thai Huot/Bayon both stocked with "western" supplies.
2. "Gym - New gym "Go Gym" is the best gym in town also up here; The Place Aeon 1 maybe runs it close for any calisthenic or crossfit enthusiasts, but otherwise I wouldn't look any further.
3. Peace & Quiet ... tricky anywhere in PP, but Toul Kork has got to be the quietest of the khans, and reliable electricity supply - bunch of VIPs up this way kinda lend themselves to not having much patience for power cuts.
4. Also in my 40s, and still head out into town, if you go across Boeung Kak Lake from Toul Kork, you can be in BKK1 in 10-15 mins on a bike, or the same to Riverside etc if you need a night out here & there.

You've got a choice of new condos or a villa if you need something larger; various boreys, etc.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Can anyone give any particular condo/apt names for the Daun Penh area for LTR between 110-136, probably east of 51st street, closer to the river the better? Near good food and good drinks. I’ve been searching online on some real estate sites, but trying to narrow it down to specific locations/areas on the sites has been quite the task.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:28 am
Apparition wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Spigzy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:11 pm You need to give a few more details tbh; are you a solo guy, here with family, looking for a busy social area, looking for peace & quiet, etc. There's a bit of PP for everyone, give some more deets & you'll get better recommendations.
Yes good point. I'm going solo, but I'm also 40, so not in need of being in the thick of it 24/7. I'd like to be near-ish to some decent restaurants/bars though...also a good gym.

I will be writing music at home, on open backed headphones, which means I need it to be at least reasonably quiet in the daytime.
Sounds like you need Toul Kork - can vouch for it for the past 14 years..

1. Bars/Restaurants - TK Avenue for Metro Azura, Aeon 2 is close, all the usual fast food places if you need those, Samba (1000% better than the one near Independence M), etc. No trouble to order from Brooklyn or others in town via Nham24, never had a problem with food. Local markets Thai Huot/Bayon both stocked with "western" supplies.
2. "Gym - New gym "Go Gym" is the best gym in town also up here; The Place Aeon 1 maybe runs it close for any calisthenic or crossfit enthusiasts, but otherwise I wouldn't look any further.
3. Peace & Quiet ... tricky anywhere in PP, but Toul Kork has got to be the quietest of the khans, and reliable electricity supply - bunch of VIPs up this way kinda lend themselves to not having much patience for power cuts.
4. Also in my 40s, and still head out into town, if you go across Boeung Kak Lake from Toul Kork, you can be in BKK1 in 10-15 mins on a bike, or the same to Riverside etc if you need a night out here & there.

You've got a choice of new condos or a villa if you need something larger; various boreys, etc.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. :hattip:
Thanks mate, that's good info. I checked out that gym - it looks a whole lot better than my current gym! I'll look out for apartments up that way.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

violet wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:47 amBKK2
What's good about BKK2?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Apparition wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:23 am [quote=violet post_id=536372 time=<a href="tel:1645901251">1645901251</a> user_id=244]BKK2
What's good about BKK2?
[/quote]

Parts of it are still very local oriented. There’s plenty of western establishments plus there’s a small street market, KTV and local restaurants too.
Because Toul Sleng area is believed to be full of ghosts, many stayed away for a long time and it kept rental prices down.
You can be on a quiet street and a short ride or tuk tuk from some activity.
The Place gym is there, which includes a pool.
You are situated between Toul Tom Poung (Russian market area) and riverside.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

violet wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:46 am
Apparition wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:23 am [quote=violet post_id=536372 time=<a href="tel:1645901251">1645901251</a> user_id=244]BKK2
What's good about BKK2?
Parts of it are still very local oriented. There’s plenty of western establishments plus there’s a small street market, KTV and local restaurants too.
Because Toul Sleng area is believed to be full of ghosts, many stayed away for a long time and it kept rental prices down.
You are situated between Toul Tom Poung (Russian market area) and riverside.
[/quote]

Nice one. There's a fair few cheap places on Cambodia Living around there.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

violet wrote:
What's good about BKK2?
You are situated between Toul Tom Poung (Russian market area) and riverside.[/quote]

I would also recommend Bkk2 (and Bkk3).

Central location, only a few minutes away from Bkk1, Tonle Bassac and Ttp (and a few minutes more to the riverside). Bkk2/3 has lower rents compared to the previously mentioned locations.

(Toul Sleng is located in Bkk3 and The place gym in Bkk1)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic