Angelina Visits Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Angelina Visits Cambodia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:29 pm
mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:12 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:53 pm Perhaps "hate" is a bit hyperbolic - but there's not a whole lotta respect for women here which is obvious to anyone.
Really?
I think it’s a lot worse out there in the real world in Cambodia, both locals and expats.
Well, yes, of course, you could find worse behavior in the world toward women - this a virtual space. But I think you're being somewhat disingenuous if you can honestly say the comments on this forum pertaining to women are anything but chauvinistic at best most of the time.

Weren't you just making fun of a woman's breasts after her mastectomy?

Edited to ad: And just because there are worse examples of something doesn't justify the behavior or make it any better.

Edited again because spelling is hard.
... It was a joke about bees and tits.
Oh, that's right. You were demeaning of the woman because of her breast size.

You don't get it, do you? And the fact is it's unlikely you ever will, so I'll leave ya with it.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

violet wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:17 am
mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:12 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:34 pm I should wear a hidden camera for a week, you'd be shocked at some of the things men say to me.
I get sworn at and called names for no other reason except I am a woman. I think I represent something that men have left behind, or they assume they know me, but whatever it is - you've got to have massive balls to be a single woman in Cambodia.
Interesting. Is that in Cambodia or just anywhere and are your female friends subject to the same abuse?
I only experienced it once. An Aussie guy.
Granted I’ve only had about 4 years in Cambodia in total.
I wonder if the difference is because one lady has identified themselves on a public forum, posted fairly prolifically and shared some quite personal details about themselves (not judging here, just making an observation)
It’s possible that some followers of CEO imagine a level of familiarity with that lady based on what they’ve read and seen of her on CEO, similar to the way some members of the public feel they can engage with “celebrities” to compliment/abuse them.
As for the perceived level of abuse targeted towards women on this site, is it a consequence of the hugely disproportionate ratio of male to female members? (expatriation in South East Asia is after all, a male dominated ‘sport’.
I think if, instead of a tiny handful of female CEO members, there were equal numbers of male and female, or a majority percentage of female CEO members, that they would be giving as good as they got as far as banter with/about, or abusing of, the the male members (double entendre intended)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 am
mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:10 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:29 pm
mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:12 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:53 pm Perhaps "hate" is a bit hyperbolic - but there's not a whole lotta respect for women here which is obvious to anyone.
Really?
I think it’s a lot worse out there in the real world in Cambodia, both locals and expats.
Well, yes, of course, you could find worse behavior in the world toward women - this a virtual space. But I think you're being somewhat disingenuous if you can honestly say the comments on this forum pertaining to women are anything but chauvinistic at best most of the time.

Weren't you just making fun of a woman's breasts after her mastectomy?

Edited to ad: And just because there are worse examples of something doesn't justify the behavior or make it any better.

Edited again because spelling is hard.
... It was a joke about bees and tits.
Oh, that's right. You were demeaning of the woman because of her breast size.

You don't get it, do you? And the fact is it's unlikely you ever will, so I'll leave ya with it.
Lol. You’re a shining white knight aren’t you, boy.
Well, I’ve got news for you cupcake - women don’t need men like you to stand up for them. They’re capable of doing it themselves and the days of the dashing man defending them from the sand kickers is over. It’s a new era for woman's rights and freedom.

Especially if they’ve got big tits.
People of the world, spice up your life.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:34 pm I should wear a hidden camera for a week, you'd be shocked at some of the things men say to me.
I get sworn at and called names for no other reason except I am a woman. I think I represent something that men have left behind, or they assume they know me, but whatever it is - you've got to have massive balls to be a single woman in Cambodia.
Interesting. Is that in Cambodia or just anywhere and are your female friends subject to the same abuse?
Men are just like that sometimes. Often it’s related to their relationship (or lack of) with their mother or they’ve been controlled and manipulated by some utter bitch, and the reverse can be said for controlling men - it makes man haters, not implying you are violet of course.

As has been mentioned. Lots of banter about women and it’d be the same in a bar. In fact I’m shocked in how some men talk about their recent conquests. Little respect shown. Plus the fact it’s not exactly a conquest if you’re paying them (either then or later “I didn’t pay her. Did buy her a moto a while back to though” etc).
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:25 am
I wonder if the difference is because one lady has identified themselves on a public forum, posted fairly prolifically and shared some quite personal details about themselves (not judging here, just making an observation)
It’s possible that some followers of CEO imagine a level of familiarity with that lady based on what they’ve read and seen of her on CEO, similar to the way some members of the public feel they can engage with “celebrities” to compliment/abuse them.
As for the perceived level of abuse targeted towards women on this site, is it a consequence of the hugely disproportionate ratio of male to female members? (expatriation in South East Asia is after all, a male dominated ‘sport’.

I think if, instead of a tiny handful of female CEO members, there were equal numbers of male and female, or a majority percentage of female CEO members, that they would be giving as good as they got as far as banter with/about, or abusing of, the the male members (double entendre intended)
I think there's some 'tall poppy syndrome' effect going on there too with certain celebs. Especially when they 'branch out' to adopt a particular 'cause' instead of sticking to their knitting. Think Cher and the lonely elephant or Sting and Amnesty International et al.

And in South East Asia, I suspect some bear earlier disillusionment and even resentment with western role models.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I don’t think any “normos” can comment on celebrities lives. It must be exhilarating and also mentally debilitating in equal measures.

15 minutes of fame? Nope. Not on your Nelly.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:52 pm I knew people would be wound up about this story, but I'm not sure why people get upset. Is it because she gets PR for what she does in Cambodia? Jealousy? People want her to do it but not post the pictures?
On a philosophical level, celebrity activism is riddled with problems. Consider it for yourself, or google it if you really can't. Actually that would be a great idea, if she didn't post those ever-magnanimous-looking pictures.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:17 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:52 pm I knew people would be wound up about this story, but I'm not sure why people get upset. Is it because she gets PR for what she does in Cambodia? Jealousy? People want her to do it but not post the pictures?
On a philosophical level, celebrity activism is riddled with problems. Consider it for yourself, or google it if you really can't. Actually that would be a great idea, if she didn't post those ever-magnanimous-looking pictures.
Angelina Jolie is employed to promote Guerlain cosmetic products and the brandname, so this beekeeping campaign is part of her job. I think it's a worthwhile job, but as siliconlife points out, it is easy to confuse celebrities' jobs and personal PR with their activism (real as it may be.)
However, I'm all for saving the bees and empowering women with employment opportunities.
( However, is doing a good deed in order to promote yourself and your brand really a good deed ? )

Angelina Jolie and Guerlain Want to Save the Bees—And Empower Female Beekeepers
By Celia Ellenberg
July 23, 2021

“It’s a little hot,” says Angelina Jolie, acknowledging the sartorial perils of putting on a protective bee suit made of several layers of thick breathable mesh, in the middle of the summer, in the Sainte-Baume mountains outside of Marseille. But the actor and humanitarian is undeterred by such occupational hazards. She’s also unbothered by the swarms of bees flying around the seven hives she is currently inspecting with the participants of Guerlain’s inaugural Women for Bees program, which ended its intensive one-month course earlier this week. Jolie has a history with the buzzy pollinators, having long understood their importance to our own existence. ”They are responsible for one-third of our food supply,” she explains of why their preservation is a part of the Maddox Jolie-Pitt Foundation, which she started in Cambodia 17 years ago and named after her eldest son. But on Wednesday, while visiting l'Observatoire Français d'Apidologie (OFA)— former Chanel commercial manager Thierry Dufresne’s organization in Provence that is dedicated to safeguarding the life of bees—even Jolie was getting an education. As a brand ambassador for Guerlain, she was on hand for the Women for Bees graduation ceremony and to get a bit of immersion herself. “I tasted honey off the hive. That was exciting,” she beams. “It tastes much better.”

In keeping with the LVMH-owned beauty brand’s commitment to increasing its sustainability efforts, specifically around bees which have been a part of its heritage since its inception in 1828, Guerlain has partnered with OFA and UNESCO on an ambitious program to train 50 women beekeepers from different biospheres over five years. The effort, which launched in June, aims to repopulate 125 million bees by 2025. In addition to helping reverse the devastating consequences climate change, pesticide use, and invasive species have had on the honeybee population, the program is also designed to create female-led employment and education opportunities in selected micro-economies. Following the training, Guerlain will outfit each participant with 50 hives and local swarms in their home countries.
https://www.vogue.com/article/guerlain- ... n-for-bees
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:23 am
Please explain how breast size has anything to do with anything.

I used to have no boobs, then overnight I hit puberty and they were huge.
As I grew taller, my body grew into them and I was normal for a while.
When I was pregnant they were enormous, after my baby they shrunk a bit.
As I put on weight, they got bigger. As I lost weight, they got smaller.
They've gone up and down and up and up and down and when they are big, "more than a handful is a waste" and when they are normal size - "OMg your boobs have disappeared."

You know what hasn't disappeared though? - My IQ, my business smarts, my confidence and my friendliness.

But no, let's focus on tits.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:44 pm
mannanman wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:23 am
Please explain how breast size has anything to do with anything.

I used to have no boobs, then overnight I hit puberty and they were huge.
As I grew taller, my body grew into them and I was normal for a while.
When I was pregnant they were enormous, after my baby they shrunk a bit.
As I put on weight, they got bigger. As I lost weight, they got smaller.
They've gone up and down and up and up and down and when they are big, "more than a handful is a waste" and when they are normal size - "OMg your boobs have disappeared."

You know what hasn't disappeared though? - My IQ, my business smarts, my confidence and my friendliness.

But no, let's focus on tits.
Way too much info.

It was a joke love.
Stop being a victim.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic