Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Do you support Russia or Ukraine in this conflict?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Russia
18%
Ukraine
73%
It's a hoax
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 79
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Post by pootylicious »

pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

https://web.archive.org/web/20221215152 ... ful-winter
General Zaluzhny, who is raising a new army corps, reels off a wishlist. “I know that I can beat this enemy,” he says. “But I need resources. I need 300 tanks, 600-700 IFVs [infantry fighting vehicles], 500 Howitzers.” The incremental arsenal he is seeking is bigger than the total armoured forces of most European armies.
December 6th America’s Congress agreed in principle to let the Pentagon buy 864,000 rounds of 155mm artillery shells, more than 12,000 GPS-guided Excalibur shells and 106,000 GPS-guided GMLRS rockets for HIMARS—theoretically enough to sustain Ukraine’s most intense rate of fire for five months non-stop. But this will be produced over a number of years, not in time for a spring offensive.
'says an American official' now how would they really know what shells russians and norks have and their state of maintenance?
Russia has similar problems. It will run out of “fully serviceable” munitions early next year, says an American official, forcing it to use badly maintained stocks and suppliers like North Korea. Its shell shortages are “critical”, said Admiral Tony Radakin, Britain’s defence chief, on September 14th.

NATO clearing out their inventory of more ancient (korean war era) weapon systems, protracting the war... killing off as many patriotic, brave, christian men as possible

pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Great speech from Zelenskiy at the US congress

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ru ... r-AA15xpOS

I expect soon it will be up somewhere in full>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:08 am Great speech from Zelenskiy at the US congress

Can't read it without downloading an app , how much more money does he want
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:37 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:08 am Great speech from Zelenskiy at the US congress

Got 3 Billion
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

READ from bottom up

LIVE – Updated at 01:05

Zelenskiy calls for strengthening of sanctions against Russia in address to US Congress.

01:05
Pelosi has gifted an American flag to Zelenskiy in return.

01:04
Zelenskiy repeatedly referred to battles in world war two, which was likely strategic – a reminder that what is at stake is global politics, not just Ukraine’s freedom.

01:03
The decisions taken by these lawmakers could save “millions of lives,” he says.

Zelenskiy presents a Ukrainian flag to House Speaker Pelosi. There are various messages written on the flag – it’s unclear from whom, but I would guess that it is from troops.

01:02
Zelenskiy quotes Franklin D Roosevelt.

“The American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory,” he says. “I tell you: The Ukrainian people will win, too: absolutely.”

01:01
“Now, at this special Christmas time, I want to thank you, all of you. I thank every American family which cherishes the warmth of its home and wishes the same warmth to our people,” Zelenskiy says.

A reminder that part of his job today is to convince Republicans who are growing a frustrated with the level of assistance to continue it when they take the House on 3 January.

00:59
“We celebrate Christmas, and even if there is no electricity, the light in our faith will not go out,” says Zelenskiy.

“Ukrainians will still sit down at the table and cheer each other.”

“We know that all of us, millions of Ukrainians, wish the same: victory, only victory.”

00:58
“Ladies and gentlemen, Americans. In two days, we will celebrate Christmas, maybe candle-lit. Not because it’s romantic, but because there is no electricity. Millions will have no heating or water,” says Zelenskiy.

“But we do not complain. We do not judge or complain about whose life is easier… we Ukrainians will go through our war for independence and freedom with dignity and success.”

00:56
Zelenskiy has called on the US to strengthen sanctions and “bring to justice everyone who started this unjust and unprovoked war.”

00:55
If you’re just joining us, we’re covering Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s in-person remarks to the US Congress.

00:55
“Russia could stop its aggression, really, if it wanted. But you can speed up our victory, I know it. And it will prove to any potential aggressor that no-one can succeed in breaking borders,” says Zelenskiy.

“It would be naive to wait for steps towards peace from Russia.”

“The restoration of global order is our joint task.”

00:54
“I assure you that Ukrainians can operate American tanks by themselves,” Zelenskiy says, and members now stand to applaud him.

“Your money is not charity. It’s an investment in the global security and democracy that we handle in the most responsible way.”

'We have artillery.. Is it enough? Not really.'
00:53
“We have artillery, yes, thank you. We have it. Is it enough? Honestly, not really,” says Zelenskiy to laughter.

00:52 David Smith
A few minutes ago, there was a growing hubbub of voices inside the House of Representatives chamber as members of the House and Senate, as well as cabinet secretaries, awaited the entrance of Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Joint sessions of Congress like this are rare and the best known example is the state of the union address, which has been a highly partisan affair since the Donald Trump era. Think back to boos, heckles and Nancy Pelosi ripping up Trump’s speech,

But tonight Zelenskiy entered to a long standing ovation and raucous cheers from everyone on the House floor. As he walked down the aisle, wearing his familiar green, members clamoured to shake his hand or just touch him with almost religious reverence. A handful of members lifted a Ukrainian flag.

00:50
“The Russian tactic is primitive. They burn down everything they see,” says Zelenskiy.

“Ukraine holds its lines and will never surrender”. A long round of applause.

Related video: ‘I wish you peace,’ says Ukrainian president to Americans (NBC News)

00:49
Zelenskiy is now talking about Bakhmut – known, because of the fierce battles and high casualty rates – as the “meat grinder”. Zelenskiy was in the city on Tuesday.

“Bakhmut stands,” he says. “Every inch of that land is soaked in blood… but the Ukrainain Donbas stands”.

00:47
“The world is too interconnected and interdependent to allow someone to stand aside and at the same time feel safe when such a battle continues. Our two nations are allies in this battle,” says Zelenskiy. “And next year will be a turning point, the point when Ukrainian courage and American resolve will guarantee Ukrainian freedom, the freedom of people who stand for their values.”

He breaks for applause.

00:45
Russia will “never influence our minds again,” says Zelenskiy.

Russians will be free “only when they defeat the Kremlin in their minds.”

Zelenskiy: 'The Russian tyranny has lost control over us'
00:44
“Against all odds and doom and gloom, Ukraine didn’t fall. Ukraine is alive and kicking,” says Zelenskiy.

“And it gives me good reason to share with you our first joint victory. We defeated Russian in the battle for minds of the world. We have no fear… Ukraine gained this victory and it gives us courage which inspires the entire world. America gained this victory… Europeans gained this victory.”

“The Russian tyranny has lost control over us”.

00:42
Dear members of the Congress, representatives of both parties who also visited Kiev, esteemed Senators from both parties who I’m sure will visit Ukraine in the future, Zelenskiy continues.

“Members of the diaspora” – applause – “assembled in this chamber and spread across the country”.

00:41
Zelenskiy begins:

Dear Americans in all states, cities and communities. All those who value freedom and justice, who cherish it as strongly as we Ukrainians in all our cities, in each and every family. I hope my words of respect and gratitude resonate in each American heart.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yobbo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:00 am

Got 3 Billion
So less than was spent in any one month during the 8-year-long Iraq campaign.
In April 2003, just after the U.S. invaded Iraq, the Pentagon said the Iraq war would cost about $2 billion a month. But three months later, Rumsfeld raised lawmakers’ eyebrows when he doubled its estimated monthly cost to $3.9 billion (along with nearly $1 billion a month for Afghanistan).
Most of the aid has been out-dated military equipment that would have been left to rot in storage otherwise. So it's even more of a bargain.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:50 am
Yobbo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:00 am

Got 3 Billion
So less than was spent in any one month during the 8-year-long Iraq campaign.
In April 2003, just after the U.S. invaded Iraq, the Pentagon said the Iraq war would cost about $2 billion a month. But three months later, Rumsfeld raised lawmakers’ eyebrows when he doubled its estimated monthly cost to $3.9 billion (along with nearly $1 billion a month for Afghanistan).
Most of the aid has been out-dated military equipment that would have been left to rot in storage otherwise. So it's even more of a bargain.
What’s interesting is that the Russians are and have been dragging in to the fray a lot of obsolete or poorly stored equipment to replace battlefield losses of their frontline stuff. Meanwhile, seemingly, the storage and disposal headache of ‘western’ obsolete or outdated equipment has been partially resolved, and has been adequate to the task when matched against the Russian updated kit.

More impressive still is the effectiveness of drones along with slightly improvised delivery of munitions.

Motivated forces aren’t just those willing to put their lives on the line, but also to learn and adapt. I’d be confident to state that this is not a quality present in the average Russian. There’s some validity in thinking that much of the strength of the former Soviet Union was in its constituents states, rather than Russia. States/republics which are no longer there.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:08 am I expect soon it will be up somewhere in full>>
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic