Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Do you support Russia or Ukraine in this conflict?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Russia
18%
Ukraine
73%
It's a hoax
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 79
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Post by Yobbo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:23 pm It's easier to answer.
Who invaded who?
It could only be the work of one man.......one and a half men!
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:06 am Changed my mind.
That would be extraordinarily convenient :assasin:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm
Yobbo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:03 pm
hburns wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 am
Yobbo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:46 am Why would Russia sabotage it's own pipeline ?
So they can claim that its not their choice that the flow of gas to Europe has been stopped, its because the pipes have great big holes in them. They are kind of running out of excuses now about why gas flow to Europe gets stopped or gets reduced to 20% of capacity. They've used the faulty turbine then the turbine was fixed but they said they couldn't accept delivery of it because of sanctions but Europe said they could accept it. There have also been technical issues causing a reduced flow and also an oil leak. Europe said no technical issues detected and that the oil leak if it were genuine wouldn't have a serious impact on flow. But all the time Russia says no we haven't been weaponising gas, its not our choice to stop or reduce flow its blah blah blah
Would of been a whole lot easier just to turn it off, Russia needs all the revenue it can get!
If prices go through the roof the might get the same revenue delivering less.

This isn't the only pipeline by the way.

It's scary stuff if they actually managed to destroy a 100M deep pipeline in muddy waters on the seafloor. What's next? Cutting data cables? Power cables from offshore energy production?
The natural assumption of many peoples war scenarios are based on city, civilian and military targets. But supply lines and infrastructure are significant factors in what lead to, maintain and decide conflicts. Russia showed some of that weakness in the first few days of it’s invasion.

So, why not?
There’s no real reason why all the energy sources in the North Sea couldn’t or wouldn’t be targeted. Hitler in WW2 wanted, needed oil. The armies needed fuel. Denial and disruption of supplies makes perfect sense. And European winter is about to step in.
Protecting supplies could easily be manpower exhausting, and they’re relatively fixed targets. In fact, you could do a lot of damage for minimal own casualties by going after civilian energy. There’s a couple of nuclear plants which have had people’s attention for the last 8 months.

The sooner Russia implodes, the better, now, before this drags on much longer and pulls in more participants.

Apologies (and sympathies) to our Russian contributor.
Yes, it's scary stuff. Governments have been warned for this, but protecting this kind of infrastructure to some extend is pretty difficult and very expensive so governments choose to turn a blind eye to this, until now.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Is that passport thing real? If so that actually seems too convenient, like something someone would leave if they were trying to make it look like the Russians did it.

I'd still put money on Russia being behind it though.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:40 pm
Is that passport thing real? If so that actually seems too convenient, like something someone would leave if they were trying to make it look like the Russians did it.

No, this was a joke and a reference to the WTC terrorist's passport that was allegedly found intact.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm

No, this was a joke and a reference to the WTC terrorist's passport that was allegedly found intact.
Haha, got me. I had a long day, that went right over my head.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:56 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm

Haha, got me. I had a long day, that went right over my head.
Np. I'd put a warning label, but where's the fun in that?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stinks to high heaven of USA shenanigans

I am not an expert, but if the Russians wanted to cut off Europe off the gas, they could have just turned off the gas supply.

ND2 was never approved by the US, perfect time for them to look after their own interests - and would be bang in line with their playbook
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 pm Stinks to high heaven of USA shenanigans

I am not an expert, but if the Russians wanted to cut off Europe off the gas, they could have just turned off the gas supply.

ND2 was never approved by the US, perfect time for them to look after their own interests - and would be bang in line with their playbook
Do you watch the news? Russia has been turning the gas supply to Europe off or reducing it to ridiculously low levels. That's why gas prices are so high and it's why Russia has been accused of weaponising energy supplies. The later being something which Russia is very keen to deny as the effects of weaponising energy is not just felt in Europe but worldwide as the wholesale price goes up globally as more people are competing for a smaller supply.

The damaged done to the pipes will take 3-6 months to repair and that's on the optimistic side, the last similar repair to an undersea pipe took 9 months. So gas to Europe has effectively been cut until at least the end of winter. Now Russia doesn't need to continue with made up reasons for the gas supply cut.

The USA is capable of doing the damage and may have done but why would it? Europe is firmly on the Ukraine and US side in this already. Why would they risk being caught doing this and destroying that alliance?
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic