Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Do you support Russia or Ukraine in this conflict?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:32 pm

Russia
18%
Ukraine
73%
It's a hoax
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 79
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: Do you support Ukraine or Russia?

Post by hburns »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 pm
hburns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:02 pm I haven't mentioned Russia or Ukraine. Your post something says "CIVIL WARS HAVE OFFICIALLY STARTED IN EUROPE" but really what the story says is that there are protests. How can you constantly complain about MSM then put your name to sensationalist BS like that?
I feel like you're arguing about semantics rather than the issue highlighted.

You're more concerned about the title accuracy, and I think CaptainCanuck is saying "Look, the reason behind the protests are of major concern."

If you just said "I don't think what they are protesting is a big deal" then the conversation would be a lot shorter, or at least it would get somewhere because then you'd be on the same page.

My take.
I think all protests are important, they are a vital part of a democracy. My issue is with people making out they are somehow better informed and more intelligent than others because they are against MSM and only read "the truth" but then go on to post the same kind of sensationalist BS they are supposed to be against.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:07 pm
So this isn’t happening in the Czech Republic ? .... farmers aren’t protesting in the Netherlands and Ireland ?
Yes. Farmers are protesting in the Netherlands. Well, maybe not farmers, but the large scale bio industry.

I don't know if you know the Netherlands, but it's a relatively small country. Well ... That's a eufemism. Cambodia is about 5 times bigger than the Netherlands.
Still, the Netherlands is the second exporter of agricultural products (especially meat) in the world.

Producing that amount on stamp sized peace of land asks a lot from the natural environment. The Dutch government has ignored that for decades, but now it's no longer sustainable because other economic activities are put on hold (building houses for instance) because of the strain the large scale agricultural activities.

The agricultural protest in the Netherlands isn't a protest of 'the people', it's the protest of the second largest industrial agricultural sector in the world.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:54 pm
hburns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:41 pm
hburns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:58 pm
I thought you were all about factual news and not sensationalist bollocks.
So this isn’t happening in the Czech Republic ? .... farmers aren’t protesting in the Netherlands and Ireland ? Boris hasn’t resigned ? I’m sorry if your preferred MSM refuses to report what’s important to average citizens instead of just regurgitating the accepted line from the powers that be ..... Maybe you can give me a list of news agencies YOU find credible and I’ll try and keep my post within YOUR parameters.

Czech Republic protests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... gas-russia
https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/04/700 ... u-and-nato
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/te ... 022-09-03/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rgy-crisis

Farmers protests in Netherlands

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62335287
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... st-support
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/20/worl ... tests.html
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -livestock
https://time.com/6201951/dutch-farmers- ... te-action/

Irish farmers protest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49209931

Is it OK to call out your BS now? You clearly have an agenda you are trying to push. It would be nice if you could defend it with facts.
Thank you for pulling up all those articles that confirm my post ..... BS ??? I don't have an agenda either .... Just not going along with Ukraine Good Russia Bad' .... Been like this since it started.
That doesn't confirm your post. You were trying to say that MSM hasn't reported certain topics. Those links prove your comment to be incorrect as numerous MSM have reported on them.

I'll try to educate you though, protests are part of a democracy and freedom of speech, they aren't something new to European countries. Protests are not the same as civil war.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

" Protests are not the same as civil war."

Of course not, otherwise France would be on a semi-constant civil war....

Strikes and cream pies throwed at faces, just protests & pastries, not wars.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:49 am " Protests are not the same as civil war."

Seems that CaptainCanuck doesn't know this. His kind of reliable, factual and unbiased news is ok to put the headline "CIVAL WARS HAVE OFFICIALLY STARTED IN EUROPE" when in reality there are only protests.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Oh there is some tensions for sure, and some countries are on the verge of larger demonstrations, some countries have begun already (Netherland, UK...) , but each country grows it at it's own pace, although the energy crisis tends to synchronize international resentments toward the way things are handled locally.

Maybe it's a matter of size perception : the whole Europe would fit in Canada, space wise.
Maybe the Canadian mind boggles to imagine so many different politics and varieties of people, situations, on a same-size territory, without imploding ?

It's more complicated per square mile, sure. More crowded too. Many more opinions, laws, perspectives a few hundred, dozen miles from each other...It's more crowded, in terms of agendas, moves, protests, since thousands of years.
That's Europe , between other complicated stuff ^^ but no civil war yet, no...

Maybe an USA citizen has a better grasp of what is it to have different laws and regulations in the same space, due to their state laws etc which make life very different from one state to another, but then it's all in the very same country which seems to make it even more complicated to address for a local citizen, from my outsider view. And so many disparate / opposed groups in one country could be a factor of civil war. But for the same amount of people, we have borders and different states, so it reduces the critical mass amount of people per faction per country, or at least delays the coordinations beetween countries factions.
USA seems closer to civil war, to me.
Canada seems to be an empty haven compared to the US. And looks like a no man's land compared to europe.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:49 am " Protests are not the same as civil war."

There is never a day in France when someone hasn't set fire to a vehicle. If you look at the Arrondissements where they stash all of their immigrants every day is a riot of some sort. There's a reason they have avenues with long, open boulevards in their capital city - easy to fire your cannons down it.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

hburns wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:58 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:29 pm
I thought you were all about factual news and not sensationalist bollocks.
So this isn’t happening in the Czech Republic ? .... farmers aren’t protesting in the Netherlands and Ireland ? Boris hasn’t resigned ? I’m sorry if your preferred MSM refuses to report what’s important to average citizens instead of just regurgitating the accepted line from the powers that be ..... Maybe you can give me a list of news agencies YOU find credible and I’ll try and keep my post within YOUR parameters.
I wouldn't be quoting the Frustrated Indian Global (TFIGlobal) as a credible source of news :plus1:

Now more than ever, it becomes important that India should have its alternate media, away from the clutches of the few vested interest groups. TFIGlobal – a sister publication of TFIPost that sprung up roughly a year ago with minimal resources has managed to create an alternate voice where India’s perspective on the global issues is put forth.

While most global media houses misreported the Galwan clash, and pandered to the Chinese version in exchange for a few yuans, claiming that India was facing setbacks at the hands of China – TFIGlobal stood its ground and brought the truth forward which was lapped up by millions.

China’s belligerence in the South China Sea and its failed vaccine diplomacy was brought to the readers as well as the viewers with utmost nuance.

Similarly, Joe Biden and his coterie of left-communist comrades masquerading as Democrat leaders had also been exposed to the tee by TFIGlobal.
https://tfipost.com/2021/04/jaishankars ... dians-now/
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:54 am
There is never a day in France when someone hasn't set fire to a vehicle. If you look at the Arrondissements where they stash all of their immigrants every day is a riot of some sort. There's a reason they have avenues with long, open boulevards in their capital city - easy to fire your cannons down it.
Huh ?
What has Haussman to do with immigrants ? His architecture and Paris mapping was wayyyy prior to that....
What arrondissements have to do with immigration ?

Mixing these things just shows you're probably American., ignoring Haussman was 100 years prior to immugration. and confusing arrondissements (inner city) and banlieues (outskirts). In US shit happens in center of towns, for us it's outskirts....

Maybe there"s a car burning each day, the car being the one firemen use to train their recruits ?
Also, no civil wars nor guns.

How many casulaties with firearms do you have per day, without officially being at civil war ?
See my point, Captain Trump ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:03 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:54 am
Huh ?
What has Haussman to do with immigrants ? His architecture and Paris mapping was wayyyy prior to that....
What arrondissements have to do with immigration ?

Mixing these things just shows you're probably American., ignoring Haussman was 100 years prior to immugration. and confusing arrondissements (inner city) and banlieues (outskirts). In US shit happens in center of towns, for us it's outskirts....

Maybe there"s a car burning each day, the car being the one firemen use to train their recruits ?
Also, no civil wars nor guns.

How many casulaties with firearms do you have per day, without officially being at civil war ?
See my point, Captain Trump ?
How many cars are burned in France?
A total of 1,316 cars were set on fire in 2019, according to a press release issued by the Interior Ministry on Saturday. However, more people were taken in for questioning than in previous years, with 441 brought in compared to 376 in 2019
Under four per day - that's quite a low number. It's around 9/10 per day in Ireland despite the much lower population
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic