Have you ever attended a "death watch"-type ceremony at the home of a dying elderly Cambodian?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Have you ever attended a "death watch"-type ceremony at the home of a dying elderly Cambodian?

Post by AndyKK »

Quote from above - The whole thing though could be the basis of a Monty Python sketch.

My partner not too long ago spent a week in an intensive care unit of a government hospital. At the particular moment of time, she was not acting very responsive. So, I went down to the doctor's station, asking the group of doctors if they would come and check on her wellbeing. One of the doctors forward me, I thought, but ducked out in the ward before the ward of my partners. So, I returned once more to the doctor's station hoping one of them would actually make it to my partners bed side.
The young lady doctor checking my partners pulse, then took her stethoscope to listen to her heartbeat. The doctor looked at me and said sorry "she is dead". Then my partner says "darling what did the doctor say".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Have you ever attended a "death watch"-type ceremony at the home of a dying elderly Cambodian?

Post by Spigzy »

I attended this for my grandmother-in-law. Depends on how 'involved' in the culture you are. I'm "all in" for Cambodia (coming up to 15 years), so it was an easy decision for me, and the experience was definitely different - all my own grandparents died in a hospital and no grand-kids were anywhere near. There is the awkward floor sitting phase, you can't avoid it, but also you will get a break to move around if you need one; you can cede your position for somebody else to take their turn, etc. I wasn't forced to sit there for ages like at my wedding. Cleansing the body was definitely odd, just wet towels on hands, arms, legs, etc - but I found that quite cathartic; definitely an emotional moment, but also very "closing" which I didn't ever have with my own grandparents.

If you're the type who's popped in, grabbed a bride with the ambition of moving "back home", then maybe it isn't for you and you could well avoid it.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic