Buying a motorcycle (and staying the right side of the law)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Buying a motorcycle (and staying the right side of the law)

Post by Apparition »

What's the deal with buying/owning a bike in the Kingdom? I read up about Vietnam, it seemed a bit complicated for foreigners, if you wanted to go by the book.

Also, how stealy are the locals, I mean it surely can't be any worse than London...or can it? (I hide my bike in a garage here)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Buying a motorcycle (and staying the right side of the law)

Post by AndyKK »

Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 am What's the deal with buying/owning a bike in the Kingdom? I read up about Vietnam, it seemed a bit complicated for foreigners, if you wanted to go by the book.

Also, how stealy are the locals, I mean it surely can't be any worse than London...or can it? (I hide my bike in a garage here)
There is plenty of threads about this subject throughout the forum.

But briefly for you -

Foreigners are only allowed to register their motos for the first time if they purchase a brand new, or newly imported one. If you have a spouse, partner, or someone you trust who is a Cambodian citizen, you can register in their name as well.

https://www.cambodia-travel.com/can-for ... -cambodia/

It's a common thing is vehicle theft worldwide, best to think of preventing the theft of the moto.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

GPS tracker!
People of the world, spice up your life.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 am GPS tracker!
GPS tracker is an excellent idea and service, at a very little cost compared to the price of the bike. Also, the sure way of relocating the bike after the theft.
Simple good quality lock and chain.
Better still, indoors when not in use. I tend to not leave my bike unattended, if possible, such is if I visit restaurants or supermarkets the bike is in my view or the security. If travelling (road trip) always use a hotel with secure parking.
But even so, bikes do still get stolen.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 am GPS tracker!
GPS tracker is an excellent idea and service, at a very little cost compared to the price of the bike. Also, the sure way of relocating the bike after the theft.
Simple good quality lock and chain.
Better still, indoors when not in use. I tend to not leave my bike unattended, if possible, such is if I visit restaurants or supermarkets the bike is in my view or the security. If travelling (road trip) always use a hotel with secure parking.
But even so, bikes do still get stolen.
Locks won’t stop them lifting it up into a truck!
GPS trackers are best and as you say a small price to pay.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

GPS trackers sound good but is there an issue with them draining your battery flat if you don't use the moto for more than a couple of days? I've never used one but I recall reading/ hearing that. Especially now as some motos don't have kick start anymore.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am GPS trackers sound good but is there an issue with them draining your battery flat if you don't use the moto for more than a couple of days? I've never used one but I recall reading/ hearing that. Especially now as some motos don't have kick start anymore.
If it won't start for the thieves at the time, they will probably not steal the bike. :stir:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Apparition wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:03 am What's the deal with buying/owning a bike in the Kingdom? I read up about Vietnam, it seemed a bit complicated for foreigners, if you wanted to go by the book.

Very, and in broad daylight too.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Very, and in broad daylight too.
Ok good to know. I doubt they're using acid and machetes though, which is a plus.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:32 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:55 am GPS trackers sound good but is there an issue with them draining your battery flat if you don't use the moto for more than a couple of days? I've never used one but I recall reading/ hearing that. Especially now as some motos don't have kick start anymore.
If it won't start for the thieves at the time, they will probably not steal the bike. :stir:
So undo your battery and you're good?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic