Transferwise and ABA Customers

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Transferwise and ABA Customers

Post by ego bibere nimis »

hairdo wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:45 am There is a problem with ABA and WISE US accounts. UK/AUS accounts can still transfer to ABA.
No there isn't. Not unless the 'problem' has occurred in the last 20 hours?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:04 am
hairdo wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:45 am There is a problem with ABA and WISE US accounts. UK/AUS accounts can still transfer to ABA.
No there isn't. Not unless the 'problem' has occurred in the last 20 hours?
Just had another wire rejected today, so there is certainly a problem.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I don’t have a Wise account, but when I go to their website to see how much the fees would be to send money to Cambodia, it doesn’t give an option to send to Cambodia. Question: How much are the fees to send $5,000? On Money Gram you can send $2,480 for $29.79.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Kenr wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:22 am I don’t have a Wise account, but when I go to their website to see how much the fees would be to send money to Cambodia, it doesn’t give an option to send to Cambodia. Question: How much are the fees to send $5,000? On Money Gram you can send $2,480 for $29.79.
Sent US$15k on Monday. Wise charged $3.41 & ABA took $25, so $28.41 in total.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:27 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:22 am I don’t have a Wise account, but when I go to their website to see how much the fees would be to send money to Cambodia, it doesn’t give an option to send to Cambodia. Question: How much are the fees to send $5,000? On Money Gram you can send $2,480 for $29.79.
I'm still waiting for my money. They told me to be patient and wait until Friday to give their partner bank time to amend the MT103. I was patient and, as I expected, nothing has turned up. Emails to Customer Support go unanswered for 24 hours and never over the weekend. It really is pathetic. It's been over 2 weeks and I don't even know of they have even attempted a second transfer.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:11 am
I'm still waiting for my money. They told me to be patient and wait until Friday to give their partner bank time to amend the MT103. I was patient and, as I expected, nothing has turned up. Emails to Customer Support go unanswered for 24 hours and never over the weekend. It really is pathetic. It's been over 2 weeks and I don't even know of they have even attempted a second transfer.
Is it not showing up in your wise app on your phone? usually it will show all activity and the status of each transfer in realtime.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:33 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:11 am
Is it not showing up in your wise app on your phone? usually it will show all activity and the status of each transfer in realtime.
The app has shown nothing new for a week. They claim it was sent last Friday 25th, but when questioned they said that is when they sent the money and the amendment to the MT103 form. The amendment had to be approved by their banking partner (JP Morgan). Since then, despite a few stroppy queries followed by their patronising requests for my patience, nothing arrived.

I emailed again yesterday, but as usual, you get F.A. support over the weekend.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Well, after 18 days in the SWIFT ether, my money finally turned up back at TransferWise who then cancelled the whole transaction, paid me back the original amount and pocketed the £190 profit on the exchange rate. Nice.

I complained and got a bullshit reply that avoided the issue that the returned $'s belonged to me, and so did the GDP they converted them to, including the £190 surplus.

Anyone using TransferWise from the UK to ABA beware; if it works it is great, but when it doesn't it will drive you bonkers and ABA are utterly useless.

I have found a new way to get GDP to USD and into ABA (without the $10 fee!) via crypto. It's cheaper and takes about an hour.

Bye bye Transferwise and SWIFT and JP Morgan and Standard Chartered...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you remember sometime back I had very much trouble with my UK bank accounts, to the extent I ended up being locked out, the bank in question said it was out of their hands (refusing to even acknowledge me) their last reply was the matter is in the hands of the fraud department. At the time this was a complete shock to me, and over the week and more it was costing me $20 per day in phone calls to try and sort out the problem, in the end it turned out to be a problem at their end, not being able to put my Cambodian phone number back into their banking system.
The other day I again tried unsuccessfully to make a money transfer from my UK bank to my ABA account. What the problem was, is that the overseas money transfer was missing from my account. I called the bank in the UK, I was told to download the new App on Google store, and not use the website App. I did exactly what I was told to do following the banks instructions.
Good stuff the overseas money transfer appeared at the side of my account. I proceeded to make the transaction, to be presented by an error screen, but asking me to sign in to my account's and try again. Same problem the second time I tried, then the 3rd time I was locked out of my banking accounts, being told to contact the bank. I did just that immediately. I explained what had happened, the banks representative said she would talk me through the process after I satisfied them with security questions, but the problem now was the overseas transfer part was missing again on my App.
I asked the banks representative if she would be so kind to make the same money transfer, I had made last time to my ABA account! At the point where she would have said "all done". The phone went dead, I scanned my emails "nothing".
I logged back into the bank App, and the overseas money part was an option once more, it worked, I managed the transfer, again after a worrying, fuck about day trying to get my own money.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:07 pm If you remember sometime back I had very much trouble with my UK bank accounts, to the extent I ended up being locked out, the bank in question said it was out of their hands (refusing to even acknowledge me) their last reply was the matter is in the hands of the fraud department. At the time this was a complete shock to me, and over the week and more it was costing me $20 per day in phone calls to try and sort out the problem, in the end it turned out to be a problem at their end, not being able to put my Cambodian phone number back into their banking system.
The other day I again tried unsuccessfully to make a money transfer from my UK bank to my ABA account. What the problem was, is that the overseas money transfer was missing from my account. I called the bank in the UK, I was told to download the new App on Google store, and not use the website App. I did exactly what I was told to do following the banks instructions.
Good stuff the overseas money transfer appeared at the side of my account. I proceeded to make the transaction, to be presented by an error screen, but asking me to sign in to my account's and try again. Same problem the second time I tried, then the 3rd time I was locked out of my banking accounts, being told to contact the bank. I did just that immediately. I explained what had happened, the banks representative said she would talk me through the process after I satisfied them with security questions, but the problem now was the overseas transfer part was missing again on my App.
I asked the banks representative if she would be so kind to make the same money transfer, I had made last time to my ABA account! At the point where she would have said "all done". The phone went dead, I scanned my emails "nothing".
I logged back into the bank App, and the overseas money part was an option once more, it worked, I managed the transfer, again after a worrying, fuck about day trying to get my own money.
I feel your pain. The costs of phone calls with TW in the last month must be $50 at least for 3 calls.

I am now looking at all the options of going via different crypto exchanges, keeping an eye on fees and who they will and will not accept money from. Surprise Surprise, TransferWise won't send to either Kraken or Coinbase exchanges (which accept FPS GDP payments from a UK bank because they are FCA regulated). Obviously TW know exactly what you can do viz a viz getting money from the other side of the world in minutes and for less money than they charge - so they block them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic