Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Timmy69
Expatriate

Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by Timmy69 »

Anchor (cans) is my beer of choice when I’m in bars.

I thought it was the most popular beer for expats.

Every bar I’d go to would have Anchor cans, for years.

Nowadays some expat bars have stopped stocking it.

They say “drink Cambodia beer” which is similar in taste but not the same.

Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by ItWasntMe »

I find Cambodia beer to be the least disgusting one so am happy to hear about this development :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:40 pm I find Cambodia beer to be the least disgusting one so am happy to hear about this development :good:
This.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Krud.
People of the world, spice up your life.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It’s partly to do with Anchor technical support - useless. So many bars got rid of the draft and cans.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

For what it is worth...My fingers and knee joints got all ducked up from the uric acid in Cambodia brand beer....Tried to drink it for a while because of all the free ringpull beers but had to switch back to Anchor which also tastes better
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:39 pm For what it is worth...My fingers and knee joints got all ducked up from the uric acid in Cambodia brand beer....Tried to drink it for a while because of all the free ringpull beers but had to switch back to Anchor which also tastes better
If you have problems with gout, beer is certainly your enemy. Any beer. As far as I know, no beers contain uric acid, but purines which are broken down into uric acid in the body. I should think that the amount of purines in Cambodia and Anchor are similar (purines are a byproduct of the yeast fermenting), but maybe the prospect of prizes made you drink more ;-)

P.S.: As I suffer from gout, I have looked into this subject a little bit and ideally, no beer at all is the only way. A way I have not yet managed.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

hanno wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm
Patcan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:39 pm For what it is worth...My fingers and knee joints got all ducked up from the uric acid in Cambodia brand beer....Tried to drink it for a while because of all the free ringpull beers but had to switch back to Anchor which also tastes better
If you have problems with gout, beer is certainly your enemy. Any beer. As far as I know, no beers contain uric acid, but purines which are broken down into uric acid in the body. I should think that the amount of purines in Cambodia and Anchor are similar (purines are a byproduct of the yeast fermenting), but maybe the prospect of prizes made you drink more ;-)

P.S.: As I suffer from gout, I have looked into this subject a little bit and ideally, no beer at all is the only way. A way I have not yet managed.
Can you drink liquor? Asking for a friend.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Apollo91881 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm

Can you drink liquor? Asking for a friend.
Not good either, like all alcohol. Gout is a genetic, not a dietary disease. Watching your diet will help, but someone with high uric levels will not get to normal levels by diet alone; only with medication. That is why I basically said "fuck it", continue drinking beer, and deal with the occasional gout attacks.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Beer Lao is my beer of choice in SE Asia.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic