Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by GMJS-CEO »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:47 pm
hairdo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:34 pm There are a wide variety of lesser-known brands in the United States that cater to beer lovers. Among some of my personal favorites is Steel Reserve, which I'm sure few cans will take care of the punchiest German beer. The Mexican 'Modelo' and the Pabst Blue Ribbon are also worth considering. All available at your local gas station there.
I've only been to NYC a couple of times, in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was surprised how every bar seemed to have different beers - all ones I'd never heard of. Brooklyn Brown Ale was one that stood out, it was good stuff and not at all light.
Brooklyn is one of my favorites, I've been to their location in Brooklyn for a tasting many years ago (Late 90s/early 2000s). I remember the Brown Ale, I usually drink their basic, Oktoberfest, Summer Ale.

I had some favorite places in downtown NY that were pioneers of the large beer selections, Peculier Pub on Bleeker still going strong - where I first tried Chimay & Duvel http://www.peculierpub.com/menu.pdf
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:33 pm Is Pilsner Urquelle widely available outside of Europe? Great beer, but only ever remember drinking it in Europe.
NYC likely doesn't count since you can find anything, but I've had it a number of times in NY. I don't remember having it outside of NYC but I didn't really seek it out.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:33 pm Is Pilsner Urquelle widely available outside of Europe? Great beer, but only ever remember drinking it in Europe.
I have gotten it in USA and Oz. Don't know if here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pilsner Urquelle was popular in the UK in the early 90s, as was the "original Budweiser" or Budvar. However on a visit to the Czech Republic in 1996 I found these hard to find, there was this nasty Staropramen everywhere - those two didn't seem to exist outside tourist bars in Prague. They had no idea what that shit was in the villages. A bit like everyone maybe thinking that Anchor/Anchor/Cambodia are the main beers here and then finding themselves in a hamlet where only Ganzberg is consumed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic