Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by Kenr »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:27 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:30 pm 5 - Angkor - don't like the taste, bitter
That's a bit weird to me, as i like it, but i hate bitter beers. Heineken is bitter to me, white beers, not easy on the stomach.
Also, i do enjoy Bud, which isn't something to brag about in this beer variety explosion era, and yes, i'm aware it's pretty bland to many, but i can enjoy it's blandness.
I'm convinced already that i just have shit taste when it comes to beer.
What's your input ?
I strictly drink Budweiser, not Bud Light or any other offspring. In my travels to Thailand Leo is the only beer I drink because, well, it is bland. You can find Bud in Thailand, but it’s too damn expensive. What brand of Cambodian beer is the most similar? Better yet, is Leo available and if so how much at the bars?
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

As a Bud drinker you should be happy downing a few Ganzburg. I think it shares a popularity in Cambodia similar to Bud on the rest of the planet. Cheers!
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Timmy69 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:30 pm Anchor (cans) is my beer of choice when I’m in bars.

I thought it was the most popular beer for expats.

Every bar I’d go to would have Anchor cans, for years.

Nowadays some expat bars have stopped stocking it.

They say “drink Cambodia beer” which is similar in taste but not the same.

Have any other Anchor drinkers noticed this, and did you switch to Cambodia beer or just stop going to bars that no longer carry Anchor?
I prefer anchor beer over Cambodia beer, but i do think that maybe the beer over here is excessively heavy. Possible they need more light beer.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Excessively heavy? Surely you jest? And nobody needs more light beer.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:38 am Excessively heavy? Surely you jest? And nobody needs more light beer.

I am not sure it is a jest. The poster comes from the country of Bud Light, Coors Light, and Bud Light Clamato Chelada (which sounds like a venereal disease).
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Beer in KOW heavy, hahaha, those words only can come from a Yank, hahaha. Better dont come to Belgium to have a couple of beers, try Kasteelbeer triple, they used to have it at Larrys !!
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

There are a wide variety of lesser-known brands in the United States that cater to beer lovers. Among some of my personal favorites is Steel Reserve, which I'm sure few cans will take care of the punchiest German beer. The Mexican 'Modelo' and the Pabst Blue Ribbon are also worth considering. All available at your local gas station there.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hairdo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:34 pm There are a wide variety of lesser-known brands in the United States that cater to beer lovers. Among some of my personal favorites is Steel Reserve, which I'm sure few cans will take care of the punchiest German beer. The Mexican 'Modelo' and the Pabst Blue Ribbon are also worth considering. All available at your local gas station there.
I've only been to NYC a couple of times, in the late 90s and early 2000s. I was surprised how every bar seemed to have different beers - all ones I'd never heard of. Brooklyn Brown Ale was one that stood out, it was good stuff and not at all light.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Modelo is great beer. So is Pilsner Urquell and Kilkenny.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Is Pilsner Urquelle widely available outside of Europe? Great beer, but only ever remember drinking it in Europe.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic