Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Anchor beer seems to be in steep decline …

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:17 am
Anchor has been available far longer than Cambodia. Anchor was sold here more than 20 years ago, it's been made since about 1934. Cambodia only came on the market less than a decade ago.
That is what I was thinking too. Cambodia did a launch at the Angkor Hash 8, 9 years ago.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Both Cambodia and Anchor give me the worst hangovers known to man. I'm kinda forced to stick to to international brands. Singha (Thai) seems to be the safest for me in this regard.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Anchor has been available far longer than Cambodia. Anchor was sold here more than 20 years ago, it's been made since about 1934. Cambodia only came on the market less than a decade ago.
Anchor has only become VERY popular and enjoyed large scale distribution during the last few years; that's a fact. On the small scale, yes, it has been around, perhaps. But only big in Singapore, where it is still the cheapest brew in the shops.

The quality of Anchor in cans has definitely declined during the last two years...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Rubbish. It was in a turf war with Angkor for 10 of my 18 years in Cambodia. Until Cambodia beer was launched,at least half of the establishments were contracted to them. More in some towns,less in others. Then,Cambodia beer came in with a full on,organised and aggressive sales campaign and killed off much of anchor's and angkor's market share. I have to say,in my experience,since Asia Pacific,who owned anchor,sold out to heineken,their sales structure became neglected,so that they could push heineken n tiger more. The heineken/tiger/anchor rep was no longer interested in pushing anchor,but pestered me constantly to sell his overpriced heineken shite.
The moron actually tried to play the,"oh,the reason its twice the price,is because its imported",card. Until i pointed out it was imported from vietnam! Heineken ruin other peoples beers. Do some research on the beers they have bought out,then ruined by making them all taste like heineken.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orichá wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:38 pm
Anchor has only become VERY popular and enjoyed large scale distribution during the last few years; that's a fact. On the small scale, yes, it has been around, perhaps. But only big in Singapore, where it is still the cheapest brew in the shops.

The quality of Anchor in cans has definitely declined during the last two years...
With all due respect, that is absolute nonsense. When I first came here in 1999 Anchor and Angkor were the main beers sold everywhere. I remember because I had to learn the difference between Ann-chor and Ann-Kor at the time. Angkor first came out in the 1960s and was relaunched in 1992. Cambodia Brewery started selling Anchor in 1994. Cambodia beer didn't exist then, it was first launched in November 2011.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-plus ... uses-taste
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:46 pmWhen I first came here in 1999 Anchor and Angkor were the main beers sold everywhere. I remember because I had to learn the difference between Ann-chor and Ann-Kor at the time. Angkor first came out in the 1960s and was relaunched in 1992. Cambodia Brewery started selling Anchor in 1994. Cambodia beer didn't exist then, it was first launched in November 2011.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-plus ... uses-taste
Exactly this, I came to SR the same year and struggled with pronouncing it too. And I also do remember the huge marketing campaign that Cambodia launched. I went to Thmat Boey not long after launch and there were Cambodia posters in the middle of nowhere. The shops did not have any beer, Cambodia or otherwise, but they had the promo material.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Hahaha, well, obviously a see-saw over the years...

But in Sihanoukville in 2015, Anchor was no where to be seen except on tap... Until two years ago, in Sihanoukville, it was still nowhere to be seen... Then, suddenly, it started taking over from Angkor all across the town... then, the quality plummeted precipitously...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

NEVER BEEN GOOD.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

10 or 12 years ago, if somebody bought me a draft beer in a bar, I could tell if it was Anchor by the sudden attack of nausea

Strangely, their cans and bottles were always okay, if bland AF
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:27 pm 10 or 12 years ago, if somebody bought me a draft beer in a bar, I could tell if it was Anchor by the sudden attack of nausea

Strangely, their cans and bottles were always okay, if bland AF
Probably more to do with the water they used to make those 50-Cent beers go a little farther.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic