Student's Mother Asks Teacher $2000 for Hitting Son

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Student's Mother Asks Teacher $2000 for Hitting Son

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kampot Province): On February 19, 2022, a primary school teacher, Soung Ven, is being sued for 2,000USD after beating up a 13-year-old student, Reth Phearun, by the victim's mother, Ren Sreymao, 33 years old.

According to the victim's mother, on February 14, the boy was hit on the head by the teacher when he did not pay attention in class, and since then the boy is frightened to go to school. The school principal disciplined the teacher, and he called in the victim's mother to resolve the situation.
The teacher says he can not afford to pay 2,000USD to settle the problem, so this incident is still ongoing and has not yet been resolved between the two parties.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Student's Mother Asks Teacher $2000 for Hitting Son

Post by AndyKK »

One of my old teacher's was a cracking shot from when he was writing on the blackboard and you weren't paying attention, "WHACK" the piece of chalk would always catch you around the forehead. Then of course if you deserved it, there was always six of the best of the cane. Wonder what price would be put on that punishment.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Beating up? Or a cautionary flick of the hand across his head to snap him back to the task at hand?

It sounds to me like the mother is fundamental to the reason the son possibly needed an old fashioned clip around the ear.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:05 am Beating up? Or a cautionary flick of the hand across his head to snap him back to the task at hand?

It sounds to me like the mother is fundamental to the reason the son possibly needed an old fashioned clip around the ear.
Back in my day, that clip round the ear, would have been followed by another (possibly several) if I’d been foolish enough to inform my mother about a teacher (or any other adult for that matter) giving me a clip.
CaliforniaGuy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CaliforniaGuy »

We of course don't know all of the facts here. But hitting on the head is never an acceptable form of punishment and can lead to permanent brain damage. That happened to a cousin of mine, who's dad would hit him at the dinner table, and to a Khmer person I know. Using a cane on the hand or the behind is a different matter.
I wish I knew a whole lot more, or a whole lot less.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Boy: Mom, the teacher hit me because I wasn’t paying attention.
Mom: Then pay attention in class!

Result, boy learns to pay attention in class.

Mom: Let me sue the teacher!

Result, boy learns he can slack off in class with no repercussions.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 am Boy: Mom, the teacher hit me because I wasn’t paying attention.
Mom: Then pay attention in class!

Result, boy learns to pay attention in class.

Mom: Let me sue the teacher!

Result, boy learns he can slack off in class with no repercussions.
Being both a parent and a former teacher I politely disagree. There are other ways to discipline children than slapping them. In Cambodia I've noticed the slap is reached pretty soon on the the ladder of escalation. It gives me quite a few headaches to be honest since i never slap my kid, but the teacher occasionally thinks he has the right to do so. If I tell him to stop, that would put my kid in a special position which I don't want, but I strongly believe teachers have no right to touch their students. Ever.

There's also the law on 'child friendly education', which has been in place for nearly 15 years now. It forbids this behavior. The law has changed very little to nothing, other than useless ramps for wheelchairs at places where no one ever uses a wheelchair.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Nothing against a short sharp clip with the fingers; it is all about the surprise, not the pain which is where many parents or teachers probably go wrong. We had a German teacher with a penchant for throwing the blackboard rubber at students no holds barred who was particularly brutal in just offloading his life's stress on kids, definitely not okay. If disciplined correctly in early toddler years, you will rarely even need to raise your voice ever again until they hit puberty. You are also doing your kid a favour, I'll try to fish out the link by Jordan Peterson on disciplining kids before it is too late, after a certain age, you've lost the fight - for good.

The parents who suggest talking little Jean-Paul down with logic & adult reason are the very same folks you see whining "oh he's just like that, nothing I can do" as little Jean-Paul runs riot with every adult in the room swearing "if that was my bloody kid ..."
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote - If disciplined correctly in early toddler years, you will rarely even need to raise your voice ever again until they hit puberty. I am actually against lashing out at kids, but also understand that some form of punishment must be applied in such like the 13-year-old not paying attention to his classwork. The effect of no punishment, reflects quite badly! The boy could now be easily looked upon by other classmates has that of a leader and what they too can easily follow and get out of schoolwork in general. Also, then you see the kids taking that of a lead role, with no regard for the authority of the teacher trying to educate them.
I once had a work placement at my old high school, my favourite art teacher was still there (but not the teacher I remember) the kids had found a weakness in his easy-going ways. He would simply now set out a lesson task for the kids, then lock himself in the art storeroom hitting the bottle of whiskey until the next bell sounded.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Ya, if a teacher hit one of my kids it would be a problem

The school they presently attend forbids the staff from so much as touching kids physically & striking any student is against the law

I am young enough for corporal punishment to have been illegal for as long as I was in the education system & my parents also didn't believe in hitting their kids; but I know plenty of my peers who had absolute vicious arseholes for parents who beat them over the smallest shit & I don't see that it has given any of them any benefit from it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic