Where to ride a high speed bike in/near PP??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Where to ride a high speed bike in/near PP??

Post by HappyChappy »

So I've been riding my moto for long enough to realize I enjoy the two wheel ride. And I've only crashed once!!

I'm considering getting something a bit more powerful, nothing crazy, maybe a CBR. But where do you even ride them? I'm a novice, but I assume opening one up in PP would be short lived???

Any experienced riders know where there are any decent roads to ride?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Where to ride a high speed bike in/near PP??

Post by AndyKK »

There are parts of highway 6 heading towards Skun, we're there is a central barrier so there should be no oncoming traffic, but this is Cambodia, the land of wonder, and there's no road without its hazards that are safe for any high speed, please don't add to the unfortunate casualty list.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

There is virtually nowhere in Cambodia you can drive out a CBR600F. AFAIK they are about to build a new racing track soon, but the question is it's length (what can be anything from ¼mile to F1 dimensions)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

quick update, I consider a 150 fast, so 250 is me living life on the wild side..................
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:48 pm quick update, I consider a 150 fast, so 250 is me living life on the wild side..................
Living life on your wild side, and riding a motorcycle, can you be a little bit more specific to your own question. How fast have you managed to go on these roads up to now? I know speed can be a buzz, anything to get the adrenaline pumping, but seriously I find there's an enough to contend with on these roads, starting with other road user's that are just plain selfish in my eyes and dangerous mainly to others and themselves. Also, there are no end of hazards lying in wait, from people to livestock, potholes and sand, the list goes on and on.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

We all know Sihanoukville has turned into a real Sino sh@thole but they've got some beautiful new roads down there with long stretches where you could really open up a bike.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 am We all know Sihanoukville has turned into a real Sino sh@thole but they've got some beautiful new roads down there with long stretches where you could really open up a bike.
0 - Casualty in 2.3 seconds
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:53 am We all know Sihanoukville has turned into a real Sino sh@thole but they've got some beautiful new roads down there with long stretches where you could really open up a bike.
Really opening up a bike (or a car for that matter), and Cambodia, are two things that do not go together.
Even if you can find a stretch of road that isn’t made of, or covered in, dust, sand, stones and rubbish, you still have to contend with the total unpredictability of other road users, the vehicle types and their conditions. Don’t forget about the livestock (cows, chickens, dogs etc) routinely wandering into and standing in the roads, a collision at speed with any of these does not bode well for bikers.
Don’t forget that when you do have that accident, and have managed to survive long enough to make it to hospital, the level of care provided will be severely lacking.
Ride (sober) at a safe speed and enjoy arriving where you plan to go to.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:17 pm So I've been riding my moto for long enough to realize I enjoy the two wheel ride. And I've only crashed once!!
You appear to have never ridden a bike, of any capacity, before coming to Cambodia, right?
I'm considering getting something a bit more powerful, nothing crazy, maybe a CBR.
A bit more powerful? than what the 100cc or 125cc machine you are currently riding?
A bit more powerful would be moving onto a 150cc machine.
But where do you even ride them?
Same place you ride now, silly question tbh... its not a question of "where..." it's more a question of "How..."
I'm a novice, but I assume opening one up in PP would be short lived???
and common sense prevails at last. But hey, on a slow news day you might make a decent thread if you go ahead with your plan.
Any experienced riders know where there are any decent roads to ride?
Yes. Most likely your country of origin.
But then you would need a license which means passing a test.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In the early morning the roads between Kratie and Oh Pong Moan and Oh Pong Moan to Ban Lung are fairly quiet and pretty good. But you'll always run the risk of a wandering cow or a twenty year old Dealim crossing without paying attention.

The road from Phnom Penh to Skun is to be avoided I think. Even though it's two lane with a barrier at the intersections traffic will make (unexpected) u-turns without paying too much attention to traffic (front and back). Also by default they use the left lane for driving, leaving the right lane for 'speeding' which is fairly dangerous.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic