Where to ride a high speed bike in/near PP??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Where to ride a high speed bike in/near PP??

Post by mannanman »

If you get a 150cc ride around town for a bit first. Then take it up NH6 to Skun as AndyKK said.

Take it easy for the first six months.

Enjoy.
People of the world, spice up your life.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:09 am But then you would need a license which means passing a test.
:lol:

Its funny cause it's true. Few riders here would pass. Luckily they are mostly on small bikes, that's the only thing keeping them "safe" out there.

Remember kids, always wear flip flops when driving and be sure to break by putting your feet down 👍
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

You've crashed already and yet you want to go faster? May I suggest a track day or disused airfield so you don't injure yourself, or worse, other people? Sorry but even back home there is a place for speed, and it isn't public roads.

@John Bingham can probably point you at airfields as I think the Yamamoto track is only for cars?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ressl wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:44 pm There is virtually nowhere in Cambodia you can drive out a CBR600F. AFAIK they are about to build a new racing track soon, but the question is it's length (what can be anything from ¼mile to F1 dimensions)
Agreed would not ride anything fast around Cambodia now.

I ran a Honda NSR 150 imported from Thailand over 20 years ago. Not much traffic around in Phnom Penh back then and it was light enough to throw around in the city and powerful enough to burn down to Sihanoukville at around 130 kph. The road to Sihanoukville was pretty good then without too much traffic. As traffic increased it became a pain to ride in the city, and around 2004 I decided to get rid of it before it got rid of me. :D

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Having a bigger bike to me is not about speed. It's about the whole experience...the noise 'thump, thump', the torque and acceleration when you need it, the extra comfort, the look etc. In other words, the different feeling you get. Sure, my auto scooter is most practical for the city but..... :color
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:06 am Having a bigger bike to me is not about speed. It's about the whole experience...the noise 'thump, thump', the torque and acceleration when you need it, the extra comfort, the look etc. In other words, the different feeling you get. Sure, my auto scooter is most practical for the city but..... :color
Hear hear. Going back and forth from work on my motorcycle is the best part of my day. Though I am happy most people stick to scooters :D
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I know of a few guys who I consider ride too fast on these so-called roads, they are mainly very experienced European bike riders. I use that term loosely because the one main setback here is that the bigger vehicle is mightier usually forcing its way, and the motorbike has little chance on the roads because of the mindset of its other selfish unexperienced users of all forms of transport.
To take a journey out of the city, and ride along the notorious highway 4 to the Srei Ambel Roundabout, then via to the left taking highway 48, here is hell of a mixture of road conditions, there are places of long sections with no turn offs in more remote parts where high speeds can be achieved. But again, there is always that element of doubt, even the unexpected.
Personally, I gave up the speed in this country, preferring to find the better way of riding the motorcycle smoothly, also stopping more often than normally, to take in the sights that the country has to offer.

One other thing to consider is the ambulance service is also not very speedy here too. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:48 am You've crashed already and yet you want to go faster? May I suggest a track day or disused airfield so you don't injure yourself, or worse, other people? Sorry but even back home there is a place for speed, and it isn't public roads.

@John Bingham can probably point you at airfields as I think the Yamamoto track is only for cars?
Never thought of the old airfields, and I have been to the one in Battambang, here they have food-carts in the early evenings along the runway, young courting Cambodian couples in a public but private place in a way, here the young men try to impress the young ladies with their highspeed riding skills to one side of the airstrip on Honda Dreams and Scoopys.
Its free entry to westerners, when you arrive at the gates the boys in green will wave you past, but if you have your Khmer lady on pillion, she will have to pay the 1000reil entry fee. :beer3:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:48 am You've crashed already and yet you want to go faster? May I suggest a track day or disused airfield so you don't injure yourself, or worse, other people? Sorry but even back home there is a place for speed, and it isn't public roads.

Yamamoto track is used for bike racing too. I think need to go specific day if you want to ride your motorcycle there. But it's pretty "mickey mouse" track. Lot of corners and the straights are pretty short for a big bike.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The airport at Kompong Chanang. Bribe the guard. It’s 5000 metres long or so. There are wandering cows but that makes it a better challenge, surely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic