compliance of ones mind

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

compliance of ones mind

Post by AndyKK »

Compliance is a type of social influence where an individual does what someone else wants them to do, that is according to the definition of the word's meaning, but what if you want to clear your own mind for some reason, and maybe clear the thoughts and put back some sort of meaning or even perspective into new thoughts. Where do you go in the city of Phnom Penh and its surroundings for that little time to ponder new thoughts and even direction.
The river at Chber Ampov has some quite interesting and tranquil areas.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: compliance of ones mind

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:12 pm Compliance is a type of social influence where an individual does what someone else wants them to do, that is according to the definition of the word's meaning, but what if you want to clear your own mind for some reason, and maybe clear the thoughts and put back some sort of meaning or even perspective into new thoughts. Where do you go in the city of Phnom Penh and its surroundings for that little time to ponder new thoughts and even direction.
The river at Chber Ampov has some quite interesting and tranquil areas.
Sometimes a few hours isn't enough, and you need someone else to help you to reflect on a situation. A weekend out with a trustworthy friend (f/m) maybe can do the trick.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Isn't that why people take recreational drugs?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Gazzy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:27 pm Isn't that why people take recreational drugs?
It possibly is why some may feel the need to do so, but on reflection that's not what I am seeking in my present state of mind, is a clear vision and thoughts, not that of a clouded drug induced outlook. Neither have I got any suicide tendencies, or I may just has well call it a day and throw myself into the murky water that I photographed. I was talking about clearing the mind and seeing what approach may be needed in any situation.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

I leave my motorbike lights on way after the coffee shop girls tell me to turn it off. I want to be seen on the road at 06.20am..
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

beautiful spot to think about anything.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In the absence of having somewhere to go, and reflect, maybe simply doing something very different from your usual routine?

Like a day entry at a fitness club, and do a lot of swimming.
Play a sport that you haven’t done for a while.
Get a personal trainer to take you through some fairly basic routines, 45minutes, for a few days.
A damned good ramble, if that can be had.

Calm reflection is great, but if you’re feeling agitated, and meditation isn’t something that you normally practice, there’s a good chance that quiet reflection might escape you, anyway. Whereas something of a complete distraction, doing something that requires some simple tasks might just get the blood flowing, and help dissipate some pent up anxieties and tensions, long enough to let another part of you get creative.

I frequently find inspiration when doing something totally unrelated to what I might normally be doing now, or unrelated to whatever it is I’m trying to find a solution for.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a mtn bike ride thru the Kampot countryside and than sunset on the river>

works wonders

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

You could also go to a nice coffee shop you usually don't visit (!). Bring a notebook.

Sit for a while and enjoy your coffee and what's happening around you.
Then start writing down your thoughts. Keep writing for at least 15 minutes without judging your thoughts.
(Ignore spelling, grammar, sentence structure.)

All the best.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I recently deleted Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from my life and weirdly my world immediately felt less cluttered, complicated and stressful. Not having those online social responsibilities to friends, family or colleagues every day, or the constant stimulants and rewards fired at me like "likes", notifications, messages, "bells", "pings" and "bongs" has made life feel a lot calmer.

Finding that calm lake or attempting to be the zen man on the mountain from time to time has its place, no doubt - but I wonder if simply removing a lot of the virtual static or noise in the world we've created and grown accustomed to wouldn't help us see a little clearer occasionally.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic