Abandoned New World Mall in Bangkok Bang Lam Pu comes back to life

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Abandoned New World Mall in Bangkok Bang Lam Pu comes back to life

Post by yongchi »

Interesting project, and a bit daring when you consider that it once had 7 additional floors (illegally).

"One derelict department store, though, has attracted the interest of a group of artists and architects, who have turned it into an art and light exhibit."
Video:

This one has photos when it was a lot taller:

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok-buildings- ... world.html
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Abandoned New World Mall in Bangkok Bang Lam Pu comes back to life

Post by ExPenhMan »

Ha! I just watched this and came to CEO and saw your link. There's not much art shown but an interesting story nevertheless.

It always amazes me how many buildings get thrown up in Thailand with more floors than approved. And many buildings never do get certificates and approvals yet they still put them up. And no officials notice -- except to confirm the payments into their fat accounts.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:33 pm Ha! I just watched this and came to CEO and saw your link. There's not much art shown but an interesting story nevertheless.
I find buildings that have a story and were once buzzing fascinating. Both Bangkok and Honk Kong are great for this.

I'd like to see the light display. Unfortunately it is still too much of a hassle to fly over from PP for a short visit, but here is hoping.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

I lived around there (Tanoa Rd. near Kao San) 91-92....Occassionally went into New World and well remember part of it collapsing..Maybe 92 or 93???
Nice part of the city to live in...
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Patcan wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:24 pm I lived around there (Tanoa Rd. near Kao San) 91-92....Occassionally went into New World and well remember part of it collapsing..Maybe 92 or 93???
Nice part of the city to live in...
Good time to live in Bangkok.
I am not sure which year it shut down. According to a few articles on the Internet, it was closed in 1997. One article puts it at 95. The illegal upper seven floors were demolished in 2004.
The second link in the OP also has some info about how that demolition was dragged out.

But as one Elton John song goes: "I am still standing after all this time. Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind..."
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Amazing that this place still stands. It's on a primo piece of real estate.

I bought my first briefcase here in 1993.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic