Money Change Options

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Money Change Options

Post by rogerrabbit »

AlexJonesCrab wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:34 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:13 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
Good to know, thanks.

So they'll come in to the incoming passenger exit terminal where the taxis wait? And any airport entry surcharges are included in the fare?
I think you would need a Cambodian SIM first then down the app then order a GRAB?
What a hasle just grab a taxi and ask them to use the meter....
You can download the app already now. And you can get sim card from airport. Airport has free wifi too.
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
Good to know, thanks.

So they'll come in to the incoming passenger exit terminal where the taxis wait? And any airport entry surcharges are included in the fare?
I think you would need a Cambodian SIM first then down the app then order a GRAB?
Interesting username. Anyway, not really the done thing. Grab is what you want, and since you don't need a Cambodian SIM to get Grab, your Grab account should work all around Southeast Asia. I have a Khmer mobile plan but as I use a dual-SIM phone, I use my home country's plan with Grab in Thailand, Singapore, etc.

Also, for what it's worth, why not just change $AU to $US while you're in Australia? Seems like it'd be easier to shop around the rates while you're in your home country, and any Riel that you need you'll pick up somewhere in change.
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

themistyseas wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:50 pm
Good to know, thanks.

Interesting username. Anyway, not really the done thing. Grab is what you want, and since you don't need a Cambodian SIM to get Grab, your Grab account should work all around Southeast Asia. I have a Khmer mobile plan but as I use a dual-SIM phone, I use my home country's plan with Grab in Thailand, Singapore, etc.

Also, for what it's worth, why not just change $AU to $US while you're in Australia? Seems like it'd be easier to shop around the rates while you're in your home country, and any Riel that you need you'll pick up somewhere in change.
Good to know. I was told though that they are very picky over the US dollars over there, so you may as well stick to RIELS? But I guess RIELS are a hassle for anything too expensive?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Good to know, thanks.

They like to stop just across the road from the arrivals area, on the fringe of the car park.
The supply situation is the same as at any airport. There are always drivers keen to get a return to the city customer. In the old days at PNH one had to push a cart all the way through the car park to the main road and then haggle with a tuktuk to get a $5 fare. Now it's so easy, and you get a Lexus (usually) for $7.50. If that's inflation, it's the kind I can accept!
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

AlexJonesCrab wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:55 pm
themistyseas wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:50 pm
Good to know, thanks.

Good to know. I was told though that they are very picky over the US dollars over there, so you may as well stick to RIELS? But I guess RIELS are a hassle for anything too expensive?
Almost every cash transaction you will do will be in US dollars, and change of less than $10 is often given in Riel. Hope that helps.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I go for many years to the same jewelry shop on 136, the official name is KHAY SAKHAV, its almost on the corner from 136 and 53 or on MAPS: 11.569042, 104.922249.
Best rate in PP and he is not to bad if your bills are not perfect new-ones. Checked out in november the ones near Phsar Kandal also, and they gave 11$ les on 1000$ then KHAY !!
Good option is just go straight from airport with your taxi to him and change imeditaly, then you dont have to worry anymore or dont need dollars to change in your country !!
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:25 pm I go for many years to the same jewelry shop on 136, the official name is KHAY SAKHAV, its almost on the corner from 136 and 53 or on MAPS: 11.569042, 104.922249.
Best rate in PP and he is not to bad if your bills are not perfect new-ones. Checked out in november the ones near Phsar Kandal also, and they gave 11$ les on 1000$ then KHAY !!
Good option is just go straight from airport with your taxi to him and change imeditaly, then you dont have to worry anymore or dont need dollars to change in your country !!
Awesome, thanks for the intel. I get in around 6PM, would KHAY SAKHAV be open at that time? (on a Monday PM)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

AlexJonesCrab wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:14 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:25 pm I go for many years to the same jewelry shop on 136, the official name is KHAY SAKHAV, its almost on the corner from 136 and 53 or on MAPS: 11.569042, 104.922249.
Awesome, thanks for the intel. I get in around 6PM, would KHAY SAKHAV be open at that time? (on a Monday PM)
They will close around 6.30pm. I went there once on the way from the airport around that time. My lady insisted that the driver and her brother in law act as guards as I left the shop. She was right, there were some dodgy guys around at that time.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

themistyseas wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:04 pm Almost every cash transaction you will do will be in US dollars, and change of less than $10 is often given in Riel. Hope that helps.
I never pay in dollars. But I'm a renowned tightarse.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:03 am
themistyseas wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:04 pm Almost every cash transaction you will do will be in US dollars, and change of less than $10 is often given in Riel. Hope that helps.
I never pay in dollars. But I'm a renowned tightarse.
Haha - fair enough. I did see @Doc67's comment on the other Phnom Penh advice post about using Riel where possible, and I agree... but if I'm honest, beyond stacks of tiny bills I find only ever really have dollars. I feel like most cash purchases that you do locally that aren't done with some kind of digital payment are going to be below $10 or $20, and not wanting to carry large bills anyway, it's not often that that feels like a factor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic