Money Change Options

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Money Change Options

Post by Eeyan »

Alex, I am now a seasoned veteran of 14 hours in Cambodia πŸ‡°πŸ‡­ πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Loads of places around the Riverside/136 area, I changed British Β£ today very easily.
A sim card with 10GB cost me $5 and the girl set it all up in a couple of minutes.
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Eeyan wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 am Alex, I am now a seasoned veteran of 14 hours in Cambodia πŸ‡°πŸ‡­ πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Loads of places around the Riverside/136 area, I changed British Β£ today very easily.
A sim card with 10GB cost me $5 and the girl set it all up in a couple of minutes.
Nice one man.....you obviously passed your RAT test at the airport and they let you out?
Thanks for the tip[ on $$ change....my hotel, when I eventually get there is down near the market I believe, so will give that a whirl.
May the birdies be plentiful EEYAN (whatver your name is)....and I mean the birdies on the course, not in Street 136...! LOLOL
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Don't bring all the money you need in cash. One day you might find out the ATM back home gave you all fakes.
Spoiler:
Phnom Penh is famous for the money exchange trick after which the victim usually will try to blame and claim (the bank).
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AlexJonesCrab wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:16 am
Eeyan wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:42 am Alex, I am now a seasoned veteran of 14 hours in Cambodia πŸ‡°πŸ‡­ πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Nice one man.....you obviously passed your RAT test at the airport and they let you out?
Thanks for the tip[ on $$ change....my hotel, when I eventually get there is down near the market I believe, so will give that a whirl.
May the birdies be plentiful EEYAN (whatver your name is)....and I mean the birdies on the course, not in Street 136...! LOLOL
The one thing you should do before you arrive is get some US$ for the taxi from the airport. Unless you pre-book a taxi (not a good plan as you are stuck with finding that one car and it will be twice the going rate) you're going to need to pay to get to the airport.

The going rate for a car from PP airport to Riverside is $15, but they will try to charge $20. A car via Grab will be only be about $8, but that has it's own problems of waiting for it to get into the airport. After a long flight you just want to walk out, get the first car and tell them $15 and not a penny more. And for that you will be needing with US$ or KHR. I doubt you'll get KHR is Oz.

So, change up AUD 40 in Australia (sucker rate at the airport if no other choice) and that gives you your taxi money plus an extra $10 for a few initial beers as you work your way towards the money changer.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:12 am
The going rate for a car from PP airport to Riverside is $15, but they will try to charge $20. A car via Grab will be only be about $8, but that has it's own problems of waiting for it to get into the airport. After a long flight you just want to walk out, get the first car and tell them $15 and not a penny more. And for that you will be needing with US$ or KHR. I doubt you'll get KHR is Oz.

So, change up AUD 40 in Australia (sucker rate at the airport if no other choice) and that gives you your taxi money plus an extra $10 for a few initial beers as you work your way towards the money changer.
I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am
Doc67 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:12 am

I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
But you are a patient man...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

armchairlawyer wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
Good to know, thanks.

So they'll come in to the incoming passenger exit terminal where the taxis wait? And any airport entry surcharges are included in the fare?
AlexJonesCrab
Expatriate
Australia

Post by AlexJonesCrab »

Clutch Cargo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:13 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 am I have taken dozens of Grab cars from the airport, I have never waited more than a few minutes. Just Grab generally gets you a Lexus at the airport. As you say, the fare will be around $7 to $8 to Riverside area.
Good to know, thanks.

So they'll come in to the incoming passenger exit terminal where the taxis wait? And any airport entry surcharges are included in the fare?
I think you would need a Cambodian SIM first then down the app then order a GRAB?
What a hasle just grab a taxi and ask them to use the meter....
Eeyan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Eeyan »

The free airport WiFi in arrivals is good.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Clutch Cargo wrote: ↑Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:13 pm
Good to know, thanks.

Yes, and they have never charged me more than the app quote. Anyways to drop off / pick up is free anyways.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic