Police arrest procedure

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Police arrest procedure

Post by chiltern »

I have a question about police arrest procedure. A friend is saying that her son was with a friend last night and were stopped by the police and arrested for stealing a moto in November and then selling it and she will not be able to see her son until next week, that is all they have said to her.

She insists that he would not be involved in anything to do with a theft and that they were stopped at random because they are young (15years old) in order to obtain a bribe to release them something she does not have, I believe what she is telling me as I have known the family for over 20 years. I have suggested that she try and find out from the police why the kids were stopped and what evidence they have that they were involved in a theft in November also to find out more about the boy her son was with from his family. However partly due the language difficulties, my not being in the country, her distrust of anything to do with the police and my lack of understanding I am finding it difficult to help or advise.

Any advice? and please don't suggest that I just stump up a wadge of cash. Thanks
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Police arrest procedure

Post by mannanman »

You may know the family but I doubt you know the 15yo that well and mums always think their children are angels.

To answer your question. There is no rules of arrest in Cambodia and even if there were you’d have no chance in seeking justice if wronged.
Unless they have money for a good lawyer they’re at the mercy of the legal system.
People of the world, spice up your life.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I know the boy very well and until covid I would visit and stay with the extended family twice a year for the last 20 years and also talk on Skype on a weekly basis. I of course don't know anything about the other boy involved.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:33 pm You may know the family but I doubt you know the 15yo that well and mums always think their children are angels.
This is true but the OP is asking for help, not judgement.

All I can suggest is getting an English speaking lawyer involved. I doubt anyone here can give you as good advice as a proper lawyer. Cambodia law is as complex as it is ... let's just say occasionally distorted. If you ask me you have zero chance fighting this on your own.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:39 pm
mannanman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:33 pm You may know the family but I doubt you know the 15yo that well and mums always think their children are angels.
This is true but the OP is asking for help, not judgement.
Thanks for your judgement.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Any advice? and please don't suggest that I just stump up a wadge of cash. Thanks
You're welcome. I would advise the absolute opposite.

Anything else, I fear, would be unconstructive. Good luck for you.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Unfortunately due to current circumstances could prove difficult depending on the amount
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Happened to my wife's lil brother about 15 - 20 years ago. Guilt by association. Trial by local cops.

Hiring a lawyer will probably end up costing more than the bribe that they are after.

Immediately after the arrest in the province, the cops wanted $800 for his freedom. A ridiculous amount of money at the time.
The next day he was moved to Phnom Penh and the cost of release increased.
Then he was moved into a prison where bribes needed to be paid just to visit him or to deliver him a blanket.
And, No, the price had nothing to do with having a barang in the family. I was never seen or involved.

In total, directly and indirectly, cost close to $3000

[Keep in mind that Cambodian prisons are full of innocent people who couldn't afford to pay the bribe]
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

chiltern wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:21 pm I have a question about police arrest procedure. A friend is saying that her son was with a friend last night and were stopped by the police and arrested for stealing a moto in November and then selling it and she will not be able to see her son until next week, that is all they have said to her.

She insists that he would not be involved in anything to do with a theft and that they were stopped at random because they are young (15years old) in order to obtain a bribe to release them something she does not have, I believe what she is telling me as I have known the family for over 20 years. I have suggested that she try and find out from the police why the kids were stopped and what evidence they have that they were involved in a theft in November also to find out more about the boy her son was with from his family. However partly due the language difficulties, my not being in the country, her distrust of anything to do with the police and my lack of understanding I am finding it difficult to help or advise.

I would say go to the police station in question and talk with them. If you don't speak Khmer, bring someone who does and just ask them all of your questions. Politely of course. You might not accomplish anything but it will be interesting and you may gain some skills to be used next time.

You can even brush up on the criminal code if you want, of course keep in mind that they may not follow what is written in the law.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:19 pm
chiltern wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:21 pm I have a question about police arrest procedure. A friend is saying that her son was with a friend last night and were stopped by the police and arrested for stealing a moto in November and then selling it and she will not be able to see her son until next week, that is all they have said to her.

I would say go to the police station in question and talk with them. If you don't speak Khmer, bring someone who does and just ask them all of your questions. Politely of course. You might not accomplish anything but it will be interesting and you may gain some skills to be used next time.

You can even brush up on the criminal code if you want, of course keep in mind that they may not follow what is written in the law.
Unless they already know of the Barang connection, Barang should stay away, otherwise the asking price may jump up
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic