Expats returning to China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Expats returning to China

Post by Apollo91881 »

I have colleagues who have been unable to return to China for over a year due to cancelled flights etc.
Does anyone have any experience with travel to China?
Could they transit through another country?
Drive a car?

Any help is appreciated.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Expats returning to China

Post by theKid »

Apollo91881 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:56 am I have colleagues who have been unable to return to China for over a year due to cancelled flights etc.
Does anyone have any experience with travel to China?
Drive a car?

Any help is appreciated.
I have made 3 trips to mainland China since borders closed. It’s been a massive shitshow and it has gotten even worsen recently.
Currently, one needs a “PU letter” from an employer, your own company or organization, which in turn needs to be approved by the local gov office of the place you intent to travel to before you can even apply for a visa. If you don’t work for some influential company or are deemed an inessential staff, your chance of getting either are very slim.
If you do manage to get approved, its then the issue of finding flights. Very slim pickings and not cheap. You then have to spend 2+1 or 3 weeks in a QT hotel (depends on location), assigned by the gov. There are options to upgrade but most are shit.

If you have all docs, you can theoretically drive from HK to Shenzhen but getting to HK atm is near impossible (95% of flights are banned) and also involves another 2 week QT which does not count towards the one you need to do on the mainland. So flying directly into China is the 2nd best option. The by far best option is to not go at all.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Is this for Chinese expats here, or other nationalities trying to get into China? If the former, we need to find a fix ASAP.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I know two people who have returned to China during the pandemic, they were only able to because they still held valid resdence permits. Both flew from the US, I don't know if they had to go via somewhere else first.

Like theKid said above, if you have a company with good connections helping you it's technically doable, for most though the borders are effectively closed.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

To clarify, these are Chinese Nationals who are on expat assignments here in Cambodia.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 pm Is this for Chinese expats here, or other nationalities trying to get into China? If the former, we need to find a fix ASAP.
I have been reading for a longtime that there are many Chinese people traveling from China via land borders of Vietnam and Cambodia with the final destination for work being Sihanoukville. :stir:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:28 pm
Spigzy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 pm Is this for Chinese expats here, or other nationalities trying to get into China? If the former, we need to find a fix ASAP.
I have been reading for a longtime that there are many Chinese people traveling from China via land borders of Vietnam and Cambodia with the final destination for work being Sihanoukville. :stir:
Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

I personally have a hard time believing random Chinese are transiting through given how strict I've heard border controls and immigration is up in Hanoi.
-insert signature here
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:42 pm
Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

I personally have a hard time believing random Chinese are transiting through given how strict I've heard border controls and immigration is up in Hanoi.
Andy is referring to informal entries
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

nemo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:57 pm
AE86 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:42 pm Vietnam has been damn near very impossible to get in, even for many Vietnamese. My ex's family (being Vietnamese) have not been back since 2019, and they used to travel almost every month, sometimes twice a month to visit family.

Andy is referring to informal entries
I know.

Hanoi was on a fairly extreme lockdown, as was HCMC, and police were stopping people everywhere all the time in broad daylight and often times preventing people from leaving their houses or opening any kind of business in many districts (family members included). So given the severity of the police presence it would seem rather unattractive for those trying to bumble their way to SHV to do so through Vietnam as opposed somewhere like Laos in my view, given the relative lack of borders up north and much heavier Chinese presence there.

Just my view.
-insert signature here
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

There are also Chinese expats whom win free flights home.
To clarify, these are Chinese Nationals who are on expat assignments here in Cambodia.

Drive a car?
No
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic