Chinese Trafficking Victim Alleges His Blood Was Harvested in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Trafficking Victim Alleges His Blood Was Harvested in Sihanoukville

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Trafficking Victim Alleges His Blood Was Harvested in Sihanoukville

Mech Dara and Cindy Liu
| Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:36 am
In a hospital in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district, a man in his early 30s is receiving a steady drip of two bags of blood a day. He has been there since Friday.

His whole body is swollen, a mark of bloating from his condition, he has been told. Medical staff attend to him carefully. The man says he believes he is now recovering.

The Chinese national this week alleged a scam operation in Cambodia had drawn blood from him multiple times since August, leaving him frail and putting his health at serious risk.

He arrived in Cambodia in June. He had been a security guard in Beijing, but hearing there was better paying work in Guangxi province, near the Vietnamese border, he made the journey.
He believes he arrived in Sihanoukville on June 27.

Speaking at his Phnom Penh hospital bed this week, the man struggles to breathe. He says his leg is lame from the beatings and electric shocks he received during his months in captivity.

After arriving last year, his first stop was a place he knew as “Jinshui Building 10,” in Sihanoukville’s notorious “Chinatown” precinct near O’Tres beach. There, and elsewhere, he refused to go along with demands that he perpetrate online scams, and as a result he was beaten. “They saw I didn’t know anything, so they sold me,” the man says.

After two weeks at Jinshui, he spent a month and a half at another location in Koh Kong province — where he says he was also beaten — then returned to Chinatown, to a facility he knew as “Kaibo.”

“In August, they started drawing blood from me,” the man says. Since he refused to work, it seemed they were trying to profit from him in another way, he says.

“They didn’t draw blood from everyone. Some left after they got checked. Some had one vial drawn from them and then left. Not like me, my blood type. They drew the most from me. There was another person like me, also blood type O, we were similar. That person left before me. He was sent away.”

A call to the Union Development Group’s Dara Sakor resort in Koh Kong province, where the Chinese man believed he was taken, was met with denial.

“We don’t know about this and we’ve never heard about this. What is his name and where is he now?” a Dara Sakor company representative, who did not give his name, asked. “Our location is huge and it is not only one company in here. You should clarify with him clearly which company he worked for.”

Provincial police in Koh Kong and Preah Sihanouk could not be reached on Wednesday. Koh Kong administrative chief Sek Sam Ol said he had no information about the case.

Sihanoukville city governor Y Sokleng said control of the Chinatown area was beyond his reach.
Full article: https://vodenglish.news/trafficking-vic ... noukville/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Chinese Trafficking Victim Alleges His Blood Was Harvested in Sihanoukville

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Not doubting the veracity of his claims, but is there really a financial incentive to draw blood? What's a liter worth on the black market? I can't imagine it being worth the trouble/risk unless there was a huge shortage somewhere, though gangster will do anything for a dime I guess...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:30 pm Not doubting the veracity of his claims, but is there really a financial incentive to draw blood? What's a liter worth on the black market? I can't imagine it being worth the trouble/risk unless there was a huge shortage somewhere, though gangster will do anything for a dime I guess...
Maybe times 1,000 victims adds up. The Blood Suckers gang
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:30 pm Not doubting the veracity of his claims, but is there really a financial incentive to draw blood? What's a liter worth on the black market? I can't imagine it being worth the trouble/risk unless there was a huge shortage somewhere, though gangster will do anything for a dime I guess...
Not sure about price but you can get 50$ cash if you go to donate blood in PP. What its then sold for, i dont know but allot more then the donator get for sure.

As he say himself his blood type is more attractive as its harder to get and when its needed you will see people begging online for donators. Some people die when they loose to much blood unable to get their hands on more. A wealthy family that is offered the blood surely would not hesitate to pay a good amount of money for it to save the life of themselves or a loved one.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

We will here more reports of the same in weeks, months time because nothing will be done to stop it sadly.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

This is terrible.
When are they finally going to do something about it?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Again, we know first-hand about blood donations and that of their doners. Looking more into the situation of why the Khmer give blood or don't as the case maybe more prevalent. There is a number of reasons for the sake of giving blood, one it is something that is done freely at no cost to the donator, and then to the receiver in need. But here again we can see again the corruption in full swing, and our offer of a fee to doners in a time of need was well below the price expected. I received this information by a doctor that paying was wrong at the hospital where my partner at the time was in urgent need of a blood transfusion because of she was exhibiting symptoms of Anemia. I do agree with the doctor and also think blood should be given freely, in the aid of helping people. But where you can help save a person's life there's also someone who will unfortunately make monies from the situation. Those people who are in the organisation of doing such a service are around the donation centre itself, and have a control of the situation.
The other reasons are religious values, the want to help themselves and not others, and of course limiting their own chance of being infected with blood diseases in the process of doing a good deed, such has hepatitis B and C and HIV.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Albror wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:03 pm
As he say himself his blood type is more attractive as its harder to get....
He's type O, it's not harder to get - it's the most common blood type. It's more likely because it's the most useful as it can be used for transfusions to other blood types.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:00 pm
He's type O, it's not harder to get - it's the most common blood type. It's more likely because it's the most useful as it can be used for transfusions to other blood types.
I'm certain that I have seen statistics showing that under 1% of the population in Cambodia has type O blood
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:05 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:00 pm
I'm certain that I have seen statistics showing that under 1% of the population in Cambodia has type O blood
I checked before I posted. It's 46.7%, the most common.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic