Any CSRS or FERS retirees?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Any CSRS or FERS retirees?

Post by Kenr »

I just retired under FERS and checking to see if possibly someone there who could answer a few questions for me.

1. Do you have any issues accessing your OPM account online while in Cambodia?

2. Do you have any issues accessing your TSP account online while in Cambodia?

3. Do you have any issues accessing your account on the IRS website while in Cambodia?

4. I won’t be 62 for another 5+ years, but do you have any issues accessing your account on the Social Security website while in Cambodia?

Thanks for anyone who can respond to this.

One more thing, I bank with Capital One 360, does anyone have any issues accessing their online account with their US bank while in Cambodia?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Any CSRS or FERS retirees?

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:29 am I just retired under FERS and checking to see if possibly someone there who could answer a few questions for me.

1. Do you have any issues accessing your OPM account online while in Cambodia?

2. Do you have any issues accessing your TSP account online while in Cambodia?

3. Do you have any issues accessing your account on the IRS website while in Cambodia?

4. I won’t be 62 for another 5+ years, but do you have any issues accessing your account on the Social Security website while in Cambodia?

Thanks for anyone who can respond to this.

One more thing, I bank with Capital One 360, does anyone have any issues accessing their online account with their US bank while in Cambodia?
Capital One will require two-factor-authentication (SMS) while in Cambodia but should not be an issue for you as long as you can still access your old phone or change the number on account with them.
Unfortunately cannot help with the other questions.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Thank you.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Never had an issue with IRS or OPM when I retired. You can always VPN also from a US city for more security, which I recommend.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Thank you for that.

My biggest issue is going to be with my bank, IRS, and TSP I believe. Everyone is now using a 2 step authentication now, and my bank, IRS, and TSP use sms, whereas SSA sends the code via email, which I wish they would all do and would resolve my issue.

I currently have T-Mobile, but they will freeze my account, and phone number, after being out of the country after 3 months, and they all want a US phone number associated with the accounts.

Sooooooo
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 am Thank you for that.

My biggest issue is going to be with my bank, IRS, and TSP I believe. Everyone is now using a 2 step authentication now, and my bank, IRS, and TSP use sms, whereas SSA sends the code via email, which I wish they would all do and would resolve my issue.

I currently have T-Mobile, but they will freeze my account, and phone number, after being out of the country after 3 months, and they all want a US phone number associated with the accounts.

Sooooooo
What about options like Google Phone or Skype? Can they not provide a US number? Should be more options as well.

But if US banks accepts such numbers I don't know.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:15 am

Sooooooo
What about options like Google Phone or Skype? Can they not provide a US number? Should be more options as well.

I’m not sure. Once OPM finalizes my retirement I will be checking out every possible scenario. I’ve been doing some research online and they did mention both things you did, but unfortunately, because of what I will be needing it for, mainly/strictly sms, I won’t be able to use a VPN or Google because of the security issues, the 2 step authentication. So far everything I have found is not usable for my bank or TSP. Hopefully I can figure it out.

I appreciate the info.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:38 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:15 am

Sooooooo

I’m not sure. Once OPM finalizes my retirement I will be checking out every possible scenario. I’ve been doing some research online and they did mention both things you did, but unfortunately, because of what I will be needing it for, mainly/strictly sms, I won’t be able to use a VPN or Google, still looking into Skype, because of the security issues, the 2 step authentication. So far everything I have found is not usable for my bank or TSP. Hopefully I can figure it out.

I appreciate the info.

Just did some research and Skype won’t work either for what I need it for.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Sooooooo
Get a US based VoIP number. Problem solved. I have used one for years worldwide to do banking, etc.. I get SMS, etc., calls from USA cell phones from friends to my US based number in Cambodia.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am

Sooooooo
Get a US based VoIP number. Problem solved. I have used one for years worldwide to do banking, etc.. I get SMS, etc., calls from USA cell phones from friends to my US based number in Cambodia.
Who are you using? I’ve been reading up on those but have not been able to find one that supports 2FA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic