US Dollar in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

US Dollar in Cambodia

Post by Kenr »

I’ve read for the past few years that Cambodia is attempting to wean off of the $1, $5, $10, and $20 notes. Has that happened or is it still widely used in bars, restaurants, and taxis?

Also, where would be the best place to exchange $100 notes?
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Dollar in Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

They're in the process of taking the $1s and $5s out of circulation although they're still accepted everywhere. They haven't touched any denominations larger than the $5s.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:57 am I’ve read for the past few years that Cambodia is attempting to wean off of the $1, $5, $10, and $20 notes. Has that happened or is it still widely used in bars, restaurants, and taxis?

Tuk tuk driver every time?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Change your hundreds at money changers like True Money or Wing. Ask for $30-40 in riel and ask for the rest in $20s/$10s.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:57 am I’ve read for the past few years that Cambodia is attempting to wean off of the $1, $5, $10, and $20 notes. Has that happened or is it still widely used in bars, restaurants, and taxis?

The $1 and $5 notes aren't so common anymore. I have always used both Riel and Dollars but I'm finding that I'm using Riel much more now, especially since 50,000 notes became common. I think I've only had one 100,000 note ever.
My bank's ATMs give out both Riel and Dollars but will only give out $50s and $100s now, it used to do $10s too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

There was a change last year or so requiring financial institutions to start paying a fee for the handling of smaller dollar bills. This because they need to be transported out of the country to be exchanged and so on. This blew up into a rumor that Cambodia was turning away from the dollar and nobody wanted to accept small notes until HE went out with a public statement to clear things up a little.

Personally I only withdraw local currency, get your stack of 50000R notes ($12,50) that can be used everywhere and go on with your day.
Sucks when you're stuck with a $100, nowhere to change and all you want is a 50 cent beer lol
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Kenr, for any notes your are bringing with you and any that you receive in change, make sure there are no rips or tears, sellotape, dirty marks etc otherwise they tend to be refused. Don't be embarrassed about checking notes as you get them in change and don't be afraid to politely ask for replacements for damaged ones (as long as you do it there and then of course).
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I appreciate the info everyone. I have been to Thailand on many occasions and know the value of a clean $100 note, LOL. Any other denomination is not even worth bringing there because of the exchange rate.

But that’s all good info, $20’s and $100’s will be all I will need initially and then exchange for riel.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:04 pm I appreciate the info everyone. I have been to Thailand on many occasions and know the value of a clean $100 note, LOL. Any other denomination is not even worth bringing there because of the exchange rate.

But that’s all good info, $20’s and $100’s will be all I will need initially and then exchange for riel.
in Thailand 50 's give the same rate as 100's

ATMS in Cambodia give out 10's & 20's, ( at least al the ones i use)
no reason to exchange to riel, as u will get plenty ni change
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:58 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:04 pm I appreciate the info everyone. I have been to Thailand on many occasions and know the value of a clean $100 note, LOL. Any other denomination is not even worth bringing there because of the exchange rate.

in Thailand 50 's give the same rate as 100's

ATMS in Cambodia give out 10's & 20's, ( at least al the ones i use)
no reason to exchange to riel, as u will get plenty ni change
Funny little story. I used to have at least 1 trip to Las Vegas every year. In Vegas, $50 notes are considered bad luck at the table, and trust me, some of the more superstitious individuals will walk away from a table if someone throws one out there to get chips. So I never use them. LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic