This made me smile today...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

This made me smile today...

Post by AE86 »

I've been living on and off in Cambodia for well over 10 years now, but this put a huge smile on my face.

I've been touring the country a bit this last week and just arrived in Kep this morning.

On the road to Kampot I had been following a white Prius, which in itself made me laugh because in huge letters on the hatch it said Mr. THONG on it, but as I was riding amongst a bunch of bikes I saw quite far ahead (maybe 100m) that someone's hat flew off. Nothing new, happens all the time.

One of the guys looked back, but given the road was busy I guess they decided to cut their losses.

As the hat was bouncing and flopping all over the road, a moto driver maybe 50 metres behind them with a bunch of chickens hanging all over his bike, stuck his foot out and in mid "flight" caught the hat on his toe and picked it up. Keep in mind, we're all going 50-60 kph and there's probably 20 or 30 of us fairly close together.

Then the guy started speeding up quite rapidly, and I was thinking "No way, he's going to give it back?" So, I decided to speed up and see if he was really going to give the hat back. After about 1/2 km or so I managed to get within 10 metres of the guy right as he had just caught up with the guys that lost their hat.

He starts honking, the guys look over, the guy hands over the hat as they're both still going and the guys start laughing in disbelief. The chicken guy salutes them and then pulls on ahead.

Slickest catch and return I've seen in a long time.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: This made me smile today...

Post by mannanman »

Haha!
That’s a great story. It’s probably all over his FB feed right now! (Not the chicken seller, although never say never)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 pm Haha!
That’s a great story. It’s probably all over his FB feed right now! (Not the chicken seller, although never say never)
If the guy would have been recording a video while performing this he'd be a super hero.

No video, no FB exposure....
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:33 pm
If the guy would have been recording a video while performing this he'd be a super hero.

You’re so 2019. It’s all about TikTok now. If he had a video it’ll be all over TT!

FB is for posting stuff to your friends in your timeline, or some random group announcing your birthday or you’re leaving and you’re going to miss everyone - thanks Kampot Noticeboard.

Anyway. It reminds of a story that happened in Ireland when I were a kid. Tomorrow…
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

AE86 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:11 pm I've been living on and off in Cambodia for well over 10 years now, but this put a huge smile on my face.

I've been touring the country a bit this last week and just arrived in Kep this morning.

On the road to Kampot I had been following a white Prius, which in itself made me laugh because in huge letters on the hatch it said Mr. THONG on it, but as I was riding amongst a bunch of bikes I saw quite far ahead (maybe 100m) that someone's hat flew off. Nothing new, happens all the time.

One of the guys looked back, but given the road was busy I guess they decided to cut their losses.

As the hat was bouncing and flopping all over the road, a moto driver maybe 50 metres behind them with a bunch of chickens hanging all over his bike, stuck his foot out and in mid "flight" caught the hat on his toe and picked it up. Keep in mind, we're all going 50-60 kph and there's probably 20 or 30 of us fairly close together.

Then the guy started speeding up quite rapidly, and I was thinking "No way, he's going to give it back?" So, I decided to speed up and see if he was really going to give the hat back. After about 1/2 km or so I managed to get within 10 metres of the guy right as he had just caught up with the guys that lost their hat.

He starts honking, the guys look over, the guy hands over the hat as they're both still going and the guys start laughing in disbelief. The chicken guy salutes them and then pulls on ahead.

Slickest catch and return I've seen in a long time.
Get a handlebar cam!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Or go full retard and get a helmet cam.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP Thanks for that post. :wave:
A reminder of the little good things that happen everyday.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I actually prefer it gets no exposure :) So many things lose their magic when it's done on or for the camera in my view.
-insert signature here
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

AE86 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm

I actually prefer it gets no exposure :) So many things lose their magic when it's done on or for the camera in my view.
The majority of shit on FB, YT and TT are done for the camera. Fake arse shite!
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

mannanman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:44 pm
AE86 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm

The majority of shit on FB, YT and TT are done for the camera. Fake arse shite!
I could re-enact it for you, but I am sans bike so will have to perform a pied. I'm fleet of foot but the chickens will be a challenge.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic