Vietnam ministries back March 15 full re-opening

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Re: Vietnam ministries back March 15 full re-opening

Post by Flexxman »

Schedule of the fast hydrofoil ferry from Saigon to Vung Tau:

https://taucaotoc.vn/schedule-of-saigon ... arch-2022/

Bus trips through Vietnam can be quite comfortable, with stretched out sleeper beds. Traveling in these through the night can maximize time and sometimes save a night hotel. Just have a look at the these bus trips to Dalat, the companies serve other routes as well so get yourself informed at a travel agency and plan ahead.

https://www.vntrip.vn/cam-nang/xe-giuon ... 113272/amp

Mui Ne is also a nice destination in my book. If you have a visa you can already cross the overland border near Prek Chak/ Ha Tien, just get tested for $10 on the spot and if you are negative you are free to go. From the border it is a 30 minute ride to Ha Tien to catch the fast ferry to Phu Quoc island.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

BobtheBillder wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 am I think you'd be bored after more than a few days in Hoi An.
I hate to have to break it to you guys, but actually, the whole country is pretty boring after a few days.

As mentioned, the main advantage of a holiday in VN is the low cost of nearly everything.

There really isn't much of fun factor unless you enjoy sitting on a stool in the gutter.

Vung Tau is just an expat retirement destination. If you're an old guy, it's a good place to hang out with other old guys and live cheaply.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

Pretty strong statement Sigmoid ‘the whole country is pretty boring is this compared to Cambodia??? Vietnam has so much more to offer if you can get off your arse and travel around, with great beaches and places of interest throughout the country. Apart from the back streets of HCM and Hanoi it’s a great deal cleaner. Phnom Penh is also a retirement destination if you are an old guy who enjoys walking through filth ridden streets ( not the people on the streets). The one thing we do agree on is it’s cheaper and the accommodation generally for long or short term stays outside of HCM / Hanoi is of a much higher standard for a similar or less cost.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Hahah, yeahh, place for retirees, the problem is, i am to young to retire, and to old to go clubbing, i am a little between it, but am very flexible, i can enjoy both, and try so . . . And of course if you are with a "younger" girl, that keeps you younger. How is the english in VN, i can help myself pretty wel in Khmer (for what i need it), but dont know a word of Viet, as i can already read it, it is probably easier do learn some (i have a kind of photographic memory (before drinking)) !! ??
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Mr Cynical wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:39 pm Pretty strong statement Sigmoid ‘the whole country is pretty boring is this compared to Cambodia???
No, compared to Thailand/Laos, India/Nepal, etc.
Mr Cynical wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:39 pm Vietnam has so much more to offer if you can get off your arse and travel around, with great beaches and places of interest throughout the country.
For example?

If you're an experienced traveller, it's just plain dull. If it's your first country abroad, maybe you might feel a bit of a "thrill".
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

They stop for red lights and pedestrians in crosswalks in Vietnam, maybe that's what he means by dull.
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

Sorry Sigmoid but yes I am an experienced traveler. I have been very fortunate or the right place at the right time. I lived and traveled India over 4 years it’s a shithole, Nepal 3 months great country but not for retirees. Cambodia a few years same Thailand. Never visited Laos or the Phillipines. 5 months through Africa, apart, from the National parks a shithole. South America only short visits enjoyable but not for me retirement. I have lived and worked in Germany Spain and traveled throughout Europe. So make if it what you will, in my limited experience for an easy life Vietnam ticks the bill, unless of course you cannot afford to leave the country every 3 months. If that’s the case stay in the shit hole of Phnom Penh and enjoy.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:03 pm Hahah, yeahh, place for retirees, the problem is, i am to young to retire, and to old to go clubbing, i am a little between it, but am very flexible, i can enjoy both, and try so . . . And of course if you are with a "younger" girl, that keeps you younger.
Vietnam has the third highest gender imbalance (more males than females) in the world after China and india, so the vast majority of women that you encounter are already married with a kid or two. Those who are still single are generally looking to get married and have a kid or two. Then, there are plenty of single moms.
How is the english in VN, i can help myself pretty wel in Khmer (for what i need it), but dont know a word of Viet, as i can already read it, it is probably easier do learn some (i have a kind of photographic memory (before drinking)) !! ??
Education is highly emphasised in VN, and especially in the service industry (hotels, restaurants, banks, shops, etc.), there always seems to be a couple of people who speak really good English. As for learning Vietnamese, yes, the writing system is based on the Roman alphabet, but the pronunciation of many letters differs greatly and it's often difficult to pronounce words accurately with the correct tones and vowels sounds, so no ones knows what you're saying or even tries to listen. There are also differences between the northern, central and southern dialects.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:48 am
Education is highly emphasised in VN, and especially in the service industry (hotels, restaurants, banks, shops, etc.), there always seems to be a couple of people who speak really good English. As for learning Vietnamese, yes, the writing system is based on the Roman alphabet, but the pronunciation of many letters differs greatly and it's often difficult to pronounce words accurately with the correct tones and vowels sounds, so no ones knows what you're saying or even tries to listen. There are also differences between the northern, central and southern dialects.
Depends where in Vietnam. Plenty of English speakers in the big cities, but go to the countryside and it gets challenging. I think a lot more people speak English in Cambodia than in Vietnam.

Vietnamese is a pretty tough language to learn. Not just because of the tones, and they are challenging, but also because most people make zero effort to try and understand.
Mr Cynical
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Mr Cynical »

I should have also mentioned apart from immigration officials most foreigners get little or no hassle from the police. If you are around Mui Ne the police are after tea money for no Moto license etc. but for the rest of the country generally speaking they leave foreigners alone unlike Cambodia or Thailand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic