The current exodus to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

The current exodus to Cambodia

Post by La Quenta »

A few weeks ago Vietnam decided to cancel/void all visas in the country not tied to Work Permit or a Marriage.

This means possibly thousands living in Vietnam are looking for a temporary or permanent new home. Many are choosing Cambodia.

This is good news for anyone in Phnom Penh etc. who is running a foreigner/expat centric business. You'll possibly double your existing customer base over the coming weeks/months.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: The current exodus to Cambodia

Post by Jerry Atrick »

La Quenta wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:33 pm A few weeks ago Vietnam decided to cancel/void all visas in the country not tied to Work Permit or a Marriage
Most, but not all; all of my longer term people in VN are unaffected by this.

Cambodia is too expensive for the average viet expat imo
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

They’ve suspended new issues. Where’s this news story of voiding them? Sounds like BS.
People of the world, spice up your life.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:54 pm
La Quenta wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:33 pm A few weeks ago Vietnam decided to cancel/void all visas in the country not tied to Work Permit or a Marriage
Most, but not all; all of my longer term people in VN are unaffected by this.

Cambodia is too expensive for the average viet expat imo
That's interesting viet cheaper than Cambodia for expats
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

atst wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:56 pm That's interesting viet cheaper than Cambodia for expats
Way cheaper, it's not even close.

My ex is from Vietnam, and her aunt doesn't even pay for electricity because the bill collector is too lazy to ride out to her village in the countryside. Granted she has no A/C or power equipment, but still...
-insert signature here
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

There's some truth to this. Based on what I've seen on various expats Facebook pages, (some?) people on tourist visas are unable to get further extensions. Info about moving to Cambodia was being shared.

Not sure if it will be "thousands" though as a lot of people already got pushed out last year.

As mentioned, many will alsi be staying, at least for now.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

So no voiding ALL visas then.

BS.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

You might get a few refugee expats from Thailand as well, as those on non-immigrant visas cannot get Covid extensions any longer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:28 pm You might get a few refugee expats from Thailand as well, as those on non-immigrant visas cannot get Covid extensions any longer.
Why? most people on non O , ( married, retired, volunteer) B, ( working) visas are on yearly extensions and not reliant on covid extensions>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

mannanman wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:05 pm So no voiding ALL visas then.

BS.
NO, it's not BS.

I never said ALL visas. You just read/interpreted it incorrectly.

All tourist and business visas not tied to a work permit, a work permit application or a marriage are not being renewed, and people not falling into those categories are being given an exit visa & told to leave.

That is a lot of people, even taking into account those who left last year.

And as almost all of these are renewals of existing visas, the visas in question are for all intents and purposes being voided/cancelled/ hatever word you'd like to use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic