Airfares still high

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Airfares still high

Post by Doc67 »

For some reason the flights I was looking for in May has gone down from about $1100 to $850. How is this possible given that oil prices are through the roof and looking to be only going one way in the next few months?

I know that airlines forward buy their fuel but for how long? Sooner or later these huge increases in oil price are going to lead to huge increases in aviation fuel.

Any ideas when this might take effect?

Half of me wants to buy now but they other half has lost all interest in being in Europe in 2 months time.

Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:11 pm For some reason the flights I was looking for in May has gone down from about $1100 to $850. How is this possible given that oil prices are through the roof and looking to be only going one way in the next few months?

I know that airlines forward buy their fuel but for how long? Sooner or later these huge increases in oil price are going to lead to huge increases in aviation fuel.

Half of me wants to buy now but they other half has lost all interest in being in Europe in 2 months time.

What website are you getting this from? On Kayak you usually get about 14 different fares from different booking websites, Expedia, the airline, etc, and usually the cheapest option is usually less reputable and reliable for booking.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:27 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:11 pm For some reason the flights I was looking for in May has gone down from about $1100 to $850. How is this possible given that oil prices are through the roof and looking to be only going one way in the next few months?

What website are you getting this from? On Kayak you usually get about 14 different fares from different booking websites, Expedia, the airline, etc, and usually the cheapest option is usually less reputable and reliable for booking.
SkyScanner, I just cropped the image. These fares are bookable direct with the airline too, I checked it with Singapore Airlines.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Singapore and Thai might be better positioned to achieve this, for now. Their connections are operated by their own aircraft. Last year, I had an Emirates flight cancelled and rescheduled, and a fair increase pushed on me because JetStar chose to start messing with their pricing. (I ended up flying with Singapore at the last minute, instead)

Thai; is it just competition that they’re able to fare match?

But yes, it is quite surprising. I would have expected both Singapore and Thai to be more affected by their flight routes than say the middle eastern airlines such as Emirates and Qatar.

The fuel hedging that they have in place will really only help to dampen the peaks and troughs of the pricing. Where I am now, we are daily having fuel delivery issues. In some cases, it’s the operator, but now the whole country is gearing up for fuel problems. I’m due home in another 6 weeks, and I’m already wondering if the routes will be available.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic