Airfares still high

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Airfares still high

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:25 am I have bought two return trips from Europe to Cambodia in past four months and the prices been on pretty similar level as prior to covid.

I have no trouble finding flights from Phnom Penh to London for well under $1000 either. Are you @Doc67 looking some very specific dates or?

But yes, all my 3 flights have been half full only. Only the last connection from Bangkok to Phnom Penh been always 100% full interestingly.
I am looking at Mid May to Mid June, so clear of school holidays. 2 weeks either way is ok, though later is preferable. I can get $1100 from Singapore airlines. Thai is roughly the same, Malaysia are not showing yet. Maybe it is something with the UK's bullshit APD taxes.

Is $1100 a bad fare for PNH to LHR on Singapore Airlines? I think my judgement may be clouded by the thought of paying that much just to be in London.

Give me some tips on why I am not getting the fares under $1000 please
If you are flying May earliest, then you might still want to wait a month or so before booking. Most likely fares will come down. If you look flights now for March for example you can find multiple $700-800 flights.

But here is couple under $1000 flight for late May - late June. Either with Emirates or KLM. With KLM trip duration is pretty reasonable even, 18 hours so.

I haven't fly from Asia to UK ever so I don't what the prices have been but I would imagine these flights never been super cheap anyways? And the fares are always much higher when you are booking from Asia to Europe vs the other way around. So ~$1000 with SIA from PP to LHR is not bad really.

But you might want to even look for one way flights. You might find great deals now days as most legacy airlines have started to sell one way tickets much cheaper than before. Prior covid legacy airlines always priced one way fares much higher than return tickets.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

Singapore fly out of Siem Reap too and that's sometimes a bit cheaper
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:16 am Just booked a flight from the States and it is one of the cheapest fares I've ever gotten.
i just checked and they are an average ( SFO-PP, Bangkok or Phuket 1st week june)
of 10-15% higher than 2019 an thats both ways

where u flying from?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I BOUGHT PNH-BKK-DXB-AMS one-way for 516 US, bought it 5th january to fly on 23th january, booked staight on emirates-website, is a little bit more expensive then on a cheap booking-platform, but if there is a problem, you are straight at the source !! Flight BKK-DXB was 85% full, and after DXB-AMS was probably 40%, but it was a big A 380, what would almost filled a smaller aircraft !!
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Chuck Borris wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:35 pm
good price for 5 star airline ONE WAY flight but at the cost of 27h travel time which is about double the usual..I would consider. There is even one fare for 30 Euros less...adding some more 4 hours to the trip

work is for people who cant find truffles
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

truffledog wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:50 pm
Chuck Borris wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:35 pm
good price for 5 star airline ONE WAY flight but at the cost of 27h travel time which is about double the usual..I would consider. There is even one fare for 30 Euros less...adding some more 4 hours to the trip

There is 21h flight for same price, which not so bad for this times.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

SYD-PNH return $617 on SQ
PNH-SYD return $1,100 on SQ
Big difference. Same flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

When I traveled the last time out of the country, I returned from Thailand on March 15, 2020, I believe that was 4 days after Covid turned into a pandemic. I flew Eva Airlines for around $700 round trip. Looking at prices flying out of Houston to Bangkok between May - September now, cannot come close to that price, in fact that’s what I will be paying for a one way ticket.

More airlines are starting to ramp up their international flight schedule, so the prices are steadily decreasing. Not sure about all of the countries, but I know Taipei Airport has been closed for transiting, but they are suppose to start allowing that soon, so hopefully the more flights and airlines available, the prices will start decreasing.
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

I am flying Moscow to PP next week via Singapore on Singapore Air. The flight was only 850 USD (came out to 930 as I added seat selection - want to sleep on my way there and back). Cheaper and longer options (2 layovers and 24 hours of travel) were available for under 800. So all in all not all tha much different from last time I flew to PNH right before covid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic