Negativity towards expats

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Negativity towards expats

Post by Kammekor »

mannanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm
Never said the word was banned just you can’t just throw it about.
You may think when you smile and they smile it’s them taking it as a joke but the reality is they’re embarrassed, either for you or themselves.
I don't throw it about, I used it as one of the examples to show to someone the word Barang might be the wrong word.
I am not overly scared to embarrass someone, as long as it's clear you're joking a lot is allowed, plus, I used the word apologize in the same original post which you seemed to overlook.
mannanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm Who cares if they call us barang. We call ourselves it and they do it because how would they know where we are from unless you tell them, in Khmer.
We call? Who's we? I never refer to myself as a Barang.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:45 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 am
....BTW, farang is the term I hear most often where I live.
Than you live in Thailand
Could live near the Thai border towns, with a mixed population of those areas and inter-related families it's easy to be called either.
We all live where we do for reasons mainly, if its where you chose by choice then I suppose you should be happy with your environment, surroundings and the people you live amongst, it doesn't always work out that way. You may live with your Khmer partner, or alone in a village, town or city. It maybe you are here for retirement or even work, whatever the circumstances it would be nice if we have bettered ourselves overall, or found a good balance that we enjoy of our new lifestyle.
We can't blame the Khmer people if we have not found any of the things we may be looking for in our lives.
Like the title of the thread "Negativity towards expats". The word Barang "French," but in fact it means a foreigner with a European complexion, the word is not that of a demeaning word, but some Khmer speakers might use it in a bad context. The word doesn't really bother me too much, I have certainly been called a lot worse names in Khmer. I draw the line when this type of bad name calling comes from very young children, whom are egged on by their parents or peers to do so, because it is in its self very disrespectful and could be seen has wrong teachings.
They are people of a developing country, with a war-torn past, lack of basic needs for many, education, medicals, skilled professionals, basic overall structure in many areas, people are extorted by each other on a daily basis, the divide between the rich and poor seems to grow daily, even more so now there's the new investor's interests in the country.
It depends on what you perceive yourself and define from the rich and poor, extreme rich and impoverish poor. The one's who have and the ones who do not. But there are even poor defined people who are so called farmers (smallholders) maybe a better understanding of the people, living day to day, with what they can grow or catch to eat. Even here there are so many variables, 1. They may have their own land, but no papers. 2. The land maybe unworkable due to mines (UXO's). On the other hand, the families may rely on other members of the family working elsewhere and sending money home. Some may have also made a pretty dollar out of investors; others will have suffered from land grabbers no doubt.

I have lived in several places in Cambodia, all areas have been by choice, where I am now was not such by that choice but necessary for my partner's wellbeing, having what I thought, hospitals with trained and capable staff at hand. That once again is open for what is reality and plain lies. Again, it makes me wonder if a family member fall's ill how they raise the money to have the family member treated in the inappropriate care and lack of quality facilities, and also the underqualified staff whom they are paying in hope of that family member will be returning home cured. The high up or rich will not go to hospitals of their own if it can be avoided, but seek medical attention out of the country.
I could go on and on, but you all have your own opinions of the situation of Cambodia and that of its people. But remember no matter what you think we are that of only paying guests of a country we wish to enjoy and live.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:31 pm As for being addressed by locals, my neighbor's all call me Papa + (my kid's name).
I get called this a lot too, both when being addressed and referred to. When my wife started doing it too, I asked her, "Why are you calling me that when you definitely remember my name?" She replied that she thought I would like it and it was complimentary.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm
mannanman wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:24 pm Who cares if they call us barang. We call ourselves it and they do it because how would they know where we are from unless you tell them, in Khmer.
We call? Who's we? I never refer to myself as a Barang.
Right, you're clearly separate because you live in a small village and your Khmer is pretty decent? Barang is a very useful word for me, distinguishing between general Western culture and American/Australian/British etc. Perhaps there is something to be learned from the kid on the bicycle, anyway. Many Khmer have told me that the meaning of "barang" is not just "French" any more, it also means "Westerner". And I will leave it up to them to define their own language.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

What do they call the chinese?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Gazzy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:46 am What do they call the chinese?
Chin.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Achoy mey Chen. (It’s not a nice thing to say by the way)
People of the world, spice up your life.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:41 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:31 pm As for being addressed by locals, my neighbor's all call me Papa + (my kid's name).
This seems to be quite consistent with how we’ve integrated, or not. We (those Caucasian expats) will likely always be barang, (which I don’t take to be in any way dismissive or derisive as a term.). What matters is whether we’re part of the community, and that’s largely down to us, isn’t it?
Funnily enough (or not) this is the same in Arab countries. Abu means 'father of', and married men are referred to as 'father of' their eldest son. LIke a guy named Abdul Al Aujan whose son was Khalid would be called Abu Khalid Al Aujan.
Another small point, that most of you know, is that there is no 'f' sound in khmer language. When the French were colonial masters here, the locals pronounced the word French as paren or baren, the 'ch' sound at the end being a bit hard for their lazy tongues. This over time developed into berang / barang. Not a lot of people know that. Try getting a non-English speaking khmer to say 'fish'. It will probably come out as pish, or just pi'.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

utter pish.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Boss?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic