Negativity towards expats

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Negativity towards expats

Post by Singapore Slinger »

atst wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:11 pm
Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pm A stranger walked up to the city gates and asked the guard "What sort of people live here?"
The guard asked back" What sort of people lived in the city you came from?"
"They were a terrible bunch of nasty,backstabbing,untrustworthy layabouts"
"I expect you will find the people here the same" replied the guard,as the stranger hurried on past.
Later another stranger approached the guard and asked "What sort of people live here?"
To which the guard replied"What were the people like in the city you came from?"
"They were a lovely,helpful bunch of people that couldn't do enough for you"said the stranger
"I expect you will find the people here just the same?"said the guard opening the gate.
Yawn
I think we know which stranger you are!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pm A stranger walked up to the city gates and asked the guard "What sort of people live here?"
"I expect you will find the people here the same" replied the guard,as the stranger hurried on past.
Later another stranger approached the guard and asked "What sort of people live here?"
To which the guard replied"What were the people like in the city you came from?"
"They were a lovely,helpful bunch of people that couldn't do enough for you"said the stranger
"I expect you will find the people here just the same?"said the guard opening the gate.
Yawn
Google song dance all around the world and have a listen, this will be playing at my funeral.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

atst wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:24 pm
Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:15 pm
Yawn
Google song dance all around the world and have a listen, this will be playing at my funeral.
No thanks think I'll give it a miss if that's ok with you?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

You and I may use the word racist, but it's not really correct if your white, the person who is offending you is prejudiced against you. I find quite a bit of prejudice in the suburbs of the city, from name calling to people not wanting your custom in shops. I also see many better of Khmer xenophobic, these people are very money orientated, because they have or have not. And to be honest why would you think you should be looked at any differently, they fuck each other over on a daily basis.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

mannanman wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:42 pm
Gazzy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:58 pm Oh lets be honest here. Khmers don't give a fig about behavior as long as $$ are involved. Look at the way they tolerate the Chinese, and they are as ignorant af. So no, there ain't negativity as long as you keep greasing their sweaty palms.
That’s nonsense.
They do give a fig about behavior and they don’t tolerate the Chinese they have no choice just like they have no choice who lives or visits here.
Not all khmer just care about $$. Maybe it’s the circles you mix in?
I tend to agree with Mannanman. However, you can't have a relationship with Khmer people -- and especially with the women -- without money, not that that's relevant.

To respond to the original query: personally, I have never experienced negativity at all, (rude or indifferent service in restos not included). If you are polite and show some compassion, Khmer people respond well. If you are a loud monster, they will deal with you in kind.

However, there's one thing that cannot be categorized as positive or negative -- the simple strange fact that ALL Cambodians ALWAYS refer to foreigners and expats as 'farang' or 'barang' ...Even if you have a long-term relationship with someone, or their family -- I am sure -- when you are not around, someone among them will still use this term, 'farang', in reference to you. This recognition mechanism is such a strange thing among Khmer people; I think it reveals the extent to which they are insulated from the outside world by their language and culture... You are a farang/barang first, not a person, lol... Like or not, that is the way it is here...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

orichá wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:34 am However, there's one thing that cannot be categorized as positive or negative -- the simple strange fact that ALL Cambodians ALWAYS refer to foreigners and expats as 'farang' or 'barang' ...Even if you have a long-term relationship with someone, or their family -- I am sure -- when you are not around, someone among them will still use this term, 'farang', in reference to you. This recognition mechanism is such a strange thing among Khmer people; I think it reveals the extent to which they are insulated from the outside world by their language and culture... You are a farang/barang first, not a person, lol... Like or not, that is the way it is here...
Not my experience. While it's extremely uncommon to call someone by his or her name, I don't think I'm being referred to as 'Barang' (anymore). Usually it's either 'bong' (which is very in-precise) or 'Pa followed by the name of my kid'. The latter is a very common way to refer to people. I can't remember the last time I was refered to as 'Barang' (Khmer never use the word Farang).
sanpol
Expatriate
Australia

Post by sanpol »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:31 am
sanpol wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:44 am I have heard recently from some expats that mainstream media is spreading a negative sentiment towards white expats or expats in general.
Have you guys noticed that?
MSM? In what country?
Cambodia
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 am
orichá wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:34 am However, there's one thing that cannot be categorized as positive or negative -- the simple strange fact that ALL Cambodians ALWAYS refer to foreigners and expats as 'farang' or 'barang' ...Even if you have a long-term relationship with someone, or their family -- I am sure -- when you are not around, someone among them will still use this term, 'farang', in reference to you. This recognition mechanism is such a strange thing among Khmer people; I think it reveals the extent to which they are insulated from the outside world by their language and culture... You are a farang/barang first, not a person, lol... Like or not, that is the way it is here...
Not my experience. While it's extremely uncommon to call someone by his or her name, I don't think I'm being referred to as 'Barang' (anymore). Usually it's either 'bong' (which is very in-precise) or 'Pa followed by the name of my kid'. The latter is a very common way to refer to people. I can't remember the last time I was refered to as 'Barang' (Khmer never use the word Farang).
In our village everybody calls me Om Barang, I tried half heartedly to get them to call me by name but it never caught on, but it’s not an issue for me, and jokingly calling them out for it invokes good humored laughter all round.
As you say, half of the adults here are not called by their names, rather by their being mother or father of (insert child’s name)
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 am
Perhaps you have invested enough love in your relationships. However, I am speaking about the situation in general. Among most Cambodians, you are perceived automatically first as a farang/barang...

BTW, farang is the term I hear most often where I live.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Yes, even my daughter who has a Khmer passport is first and foremost "kon barang", never once has she been called "kon Khmer". However, she is never called "borotay" (foreigner), like we frequently are (when they don't want to say "barang" in front of our face), and non-Khmer Asians are as well.

I'd still much rather be here than among the wokists, whatever the case!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic