Negativity towards expats

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Negativity towards expats

Post by Gazzy »

Oh lets be honest here. Khmers don't give a fig about behavior as long as $$ are involved. Look at the way they tolerate the Chinese, and they are as ignorant af. So no, there ain't negativity as long as you keep greasing their sweaty palms.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Friendly and curious is how they seem to me.
They speak more frankly than us. For example if you are fat they will address you as Bong Mabb with a smile.
There is no shame in reality.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:30 am It all comes down to perspective and attitude. People with negative attitudes of victimhood and the energy that goes with it often have paranoid delusions about being persecuted. They project their negativity onto the world and it gets reflected back at them.

Others can clearly see how they are making themselves miserable, but for them, it's reality.

Avoid such people. Stay positive and be grateful.

This non-inclusive zero-sum positive/negative dichotomy is way too Star Wars for me, sorry.

With regards to OP's actual topic, in mainstream media, haven't particularly noticed it. Only towards the US government.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:58 pm Oh lets be honest here. Khmers don't give a fig about behavior as long as $$ are involved. Look at the way they tolerate the Chinese, and they are as ignorant af. So no, there ain't negativity as long as you keep greasing their sweaty palms.
That’s nonsense.
They do give a fig about behavior and they don’t tolerate the Chinese they have no choice just like they have no choice who lives or visits here.
Not all khmer just care about $$. Maybe it’s the circles you mix in?
People of the world, spice up your life.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:32 pm
sigmoid wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:30 am It all comes down to perspective and attitude. People with negative attitudes of victimhood and the energy that goes with it often have paranoid delusions about being persecuted. They project their negativity onto the world and it gets reflected back at them.

Others can clearly see how they are making themselves miserable, but for them, it's reality.

Avoid such people. Stay positive and be grateful.

This non-inclusive zero-sum positive/negative dichotomy is way too Star Wars for me, sorry.

With regards to OP's actual topic, in mainstream media, haven't particularly noticed it. Only towards the US government.
Yeah, you're right. Upon re-reading this post, I was thinking something similar. Maybe it's a bit too negative about negative people and their negativity. :chin:

Similar to Peace, let's give Negativity a chance. :friends:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:31 am
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:24 amYup.
In what country?
From what I've read, Thailand.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Never really been something that bothered me personally

Of course, there will be racist idiots and xenophobic wankers in any group of people regardless of where they grew up or presently live
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:29 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:31 am
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:24 amYup.
In what country?
From what I've read, Thailand.
Trigger alert!

Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

A stranger walked up to the city gates and asked the guard "What sort of people live here?"
The guard asked back" What sort of people lived in the city you came from?"
"They were a terrible bunch of nasty,backstabbing,untrustworthy layabouts"
"I expect you will find the people here the same" replied the guard,as the stranger hurried on past.
Later another stranger approached the guard and asked "What sort of people live here?"
To which the guard replied"What were the people like in the city you came from?"
"They were a lovely,helpful bunch of people that couldn't do enough for you"said the stranger
"I expect you will find the people here just the same?"said the guard opening the gate.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:02 pm A stranger walked up to the city gates and asked the guard "What sort of people live here?"
The guard asked back" What sort of people lived in the city you came from?"
"They were a terrible bunch of nasty,backstabbing,untrustworthy layabouts"
"I expect you will find the people here the same" replied the guard,as the stranger hurried on past.
Later another stranger approached the guard and asked "What sort of people live here?"
To which the guard replied"What were the people like in the city you came from?"
"They were a lovely,helpful bunch of people that couldn't do enough for you"said the stranger
"I expect you will find the people here just the same?"said the guard opening the gate.
Yawn
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic