Looking for a place to buy an acoustic guitar

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cambodave
Tourist
Singapore

Looking for a place to buy an acoustic guitar

Post by Cambodave »

Hi everyone,

I will be migrating to Cambodia soon and I was considering buying a guitar in Cambodia rather than bring my own. Couldn't find much information on music shops in Phnom Penh. Are there any shops that stock Yamahas?

As it would be my first time in the kingdom, I would also appreciate any tips on looking for apartment hunting and places with good food. Cheers!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Looking for a place to buy an acoustic guitar

Post by bittermelon »

Hi, there's ( or at least there was when I was last there pre Covid) a great vintage guitar shop in Phnom Penh, it's easy to find on a small street that comes off street 172, which is near Riverside, an area popular with tourists. He's a really good guy, visiting, having a chat and checking out his wares has become one of the things I look forward to doing each time I get back to Phnom Penh. I'm no expert but I think they're pretty good value- one time I went in an Australian had been there the day previous, bought half his stock and shipped it back to Australia. Someone on this forum who is currently there will probably know whether the shop is still going. Last time I was there he had quite a few Yamahas, made in Japan ones ( most are now made in China aren't, they?)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Madison music (bought three guitars over the years from them) has had some decent stuff (although it's been years since I've played). Forgot what acoustic I got from there, but it was around $300 and played really nicely in comparison to other stuff I've played at that price range (matte finish rosewood neck, full body, sunburst finish).

EDIT: Just remembered, it was a Peavey acoustic guitar. Very comparable to the Fender DG22 I had, actually I liked the Peavey better honestly.

Yamaha specifically doesn't show up on their website, but they have a website you can lookup their inventory on.

My tip, if things are the same as they were a few years ago, buy and bring lots of your favourite strings! I had the hardest time finding genuinely good premium strings. I like to play Dean Markley Blue Steels or Ernie Ball Slinky but besides "Elixir" strings (which I can't stand), I've had a nightmare of a time finding anything other than the cheap knockout crap that snaps as soon as you try a half pitch bend.

https://madisonkh.com/category/acoustic ... c-guitars/
-insert signature here
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There's an interesting coffee shop not far from where I live, Rcoffee(កាហ្វេធម្មជាតិ)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rcoff ... 1!1BCgIgAQ
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Hope Music center. Check them on FB.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

If you got myface you can contact this dude i know ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Cambodave
Tourist
Singapore

Post by Cambodave »

bittermelon wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:50 am Hi, there's ( or at least there was when I was last there pre Covid) a great vintage guitar shop in Phnom Penh, it's easy to find on a small street that comes off street 172, which is near Riverside, an area popular with tourists. He's a really good guy, visiting, having a chat and checking out his wares has become one of the things I look forward to doing each time I get back to Phnom Penh. I'm no expert but I think they're pretty good value- one time I went in an Australian had been there the day previous, bought half his stock and shipped it back to Australia. Someone on this forum who is currently there will probably know whether the shop is still going. Last time I was there he had quite a few Yamahas, made in Japan ones ( most are now made in China aren't, they?)
That sounds cool, I'm a green horn in Cambodia but I'll try to explore riverside when I have time.
AE86 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:02 am Madison music (bought three guitars over the years from them) has had some decent stuff (although it's been years since I've played). Forgot what acoustic I got from there, but it was around $300 and played really nicely in comparison to other stuff I've played at that price range (matte finish rosewood neck, full body, sunburst finish).

EDIT: Just remembered, it was a Peavey acoustic guitar. Very comparable to the Fender DG22 I had, actually I liked the Peavey better honestly.

Yamaha specifically doesn't show up on their website, but they have a website you can lookup their inventory on.

My tip, if things are the same as they were a few years ago, buy and bring lots of your favourite strings! I had the hardest time finding genuinely good premium strings. I like to play Dean Markley Blue Steels or Ernie Ball Slinky but besides "Elixir" strings (which I can't stand), I've had a nightmare of a time finding anything other than the cheap knockout crap that snaps as soon as you try a half pitch bend.

https://madisonkh.com/category/acoustic ... c-guitars/
Seems like they carry Cort acoustics and pianos from Yamaha, I'll try to check them out if I have some time. Sadly, I already arrived in Cambodia since the time of your post so I will probably have to make do with whatever is available here. Thanks!
AndyKK wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:08 am There's an interesting coffee shop not far from where I live, Rcoffee(កាហ្វេធម្មជាតិ)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rcoff ... 1!1BCgIgAQ
Thanks! Do they sell the guitars or are they just for decoration?
Chuck Borris wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:22 am Hope Music center. Check them on FB.
Sweet that is actually near where I am staying, will try to check the out. Thanks!
pissontheroof wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:41 pm If you got myface you can contact this dude i know ..

Never heard of myface before. Is it the illegitimate love child of MySpace and Facebook? :lol:
Last edited by Cambodave on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaclinlunderman5
Tourist
Albania

Post by jaclinlunderman5 »

Hello! I'm so glad you're considering moving to Cambodia! It's such a beautiful country with so much to offer. As for music shops, I'm not sure if there are any that stock Yamahas specifically, but there are definitely plenty of music shops in Phnom Penh. Also, you can get from there cool guitar switches. I recommend checking out a few and seeing what they offer. As for apartment hunting, there are a few things to remember. First, you'll want to find an area you feel comfortable with and safe. Second, you'll want to ensure the apartment is in good condition and reasonably priced. Finally, you'll want to make sure the landlord is someone you can trust. If you keep these things in mind, you should have no problem finding a great apartment in Cambodia. As for places with good food, there are plenty of those! Cambodian food is some of the best in the world. There are also a lot of great restaurants that serve international cuisine. You'll surely find plenty of places to eat that you'll love. I hope you have a great time in Cambodia!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I always find what I need at Madisons.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
jaclinlunderman5
Tourist
Albania

Post by jaclinlunderman5 »

jaclinlunderman5 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:06 am Hello! I'm so glad you're considering moving to Cambodia! It's such a beautiful country with so much to offer. As for music shops, I'm not sure if there are any that stock Yamahas specifically, but there are definitely plenty of music shops in Phnom Penh. Also, you can get from there cool guitar switches. I recommend checking out a few and seeing what they offer. As for apartment hunting, there are a few things to remember. First, you'll want to find an area you feel comfortable with and safe. Second, you'll want to ensure the apartment is in good condition and reasonably priced. Finally, you'll want to make sure the landlord is someone you can trust. If you keep these things in mind, you should have no problem finding a great apartment in Cambodia. As for places with good food, there are plenty of those! Cambodian food is some of the best in the world. There are also a lot of great restaurants that serve international cuisine. You'll surely find plenty of places to eat that you'll love. I hope you have a great time in Cambodia!
guitars are my everything
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic