what docs are needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: what docs are needed

Post by Kenr »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:07 am
Kenr wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:49 am Is the extension to an ER Visa from a T Visa legitimate?
Yes, the DoI have recently officially approved the converting of Tourist Visas to E-type Visa Extensions of Stay as a stop gap measure until the issuing of Visas on Arrival is reinstated.
Thank you. I’m glad I checked this forum out. It’s too bad the Cambodia Embassy website is not mentioning this.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

sanpol wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 am
Seen figures from Kim and a few others a lot less
are you talking about this Kim? [email protected]
This is her number, she is on WhatsApp

+855 92 256 388
sanpol
Expatriate
Australia

Post by sanpol »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:01 pm
sanpol wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 am
Seen figures from Kim and a few others a lot less
are you talking about this Kim? [email protected]
This is her number, she is on WhatsApp

+855 92 256 388
OK thank you, this is the same phone that I have so that's the same person
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

LOL. I just got an email back from the Cambodia Embassy here in the US this morning. I sent an email to them about two weeks ago about entering Cambodia under a Tourist Visa and getting an ER Visa after entering. They told me I would have to exit and enter on an E (Ordinary) Visa, which of course is not allowed. Apparently the Embassies are not aware of this new scheme, at least not in the US.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:48 pm LOL. I just got an email back from the Cambodia Embassy here in the US this morning. I sent an email to them about two weeks ago about entering Cambodia under a Tourist Visa and getting an ER Visa after entering. They told me I would have to exit and enter on an E (Ordinary) Visa, which of course is not allowed. Apparently the Embassies are not aware of this new scheme, at least not in the US.
1. they are wrong, sorta, well there is no er visa, but an ER extension on an E ( ordinary) visa
2. easy to leave Cambodia and it is allowed to enter on a E visa, thats how many of us got in, in the past year.
3. correct, embassy is usually the last to know

good luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I misspoke, yes, it is an extension. But given that they are not doing Visa on Arrival at this time, cannot get an (E) Ordinary Visa, so I’m not sure if they even know no VOA’s are being allowed at this time, LOL. But it’s all good.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:33 pm I misspoke, yes, it is an extension. But given that they are not doing Visa on Arrival at this time, cannot get an (E) Ordinary Visa, so I’m not sure if they even know no VOA’s are being allowed at this time, LOL. But it’s all good.
Cambodian Embassies are well aware that Visas on Arrival are not available, clearly stated on their websites (those that have one, and which is kept up to date).

What the Embassy told you about needing to leave the country and re-enter on an E-type Visa is the standard, correct, official policy, but obviously you would need to obtain the E-type Visa in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate as the issuing of VOA's remains suspended.

What they are not aware of though, is that the DoI are currently allowing travellers who enter Cambodia on an e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa) or T-type (Tourist) Visa to apply for a conversion to an E-type Visa Extension of Stay (EOS)...not surprising that they aren't aware because a) Embassy staff are clueless about Immigration policies and procedures, they only know the basics to allow them to process Visas in Advance, and b) there has been no official directive published regarding converting.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yes, it is on their website, that’s why I was surprised by their response, thought it was pretty funny because they know you can’t get an Ordinary Visa now. At the very least I was expecting them to respond that you couldn’t get an ER Visa at this time because they are not allowing VOA at this time.

That’s why I’m glad I found this forum and found out about what’s going on concerning the visa situation. The earliest I’ll be there is May, waiting for OPM to finalize my retirement paperwork, so it may change by then and they may reinstate the VOA, but it’s good to know that there is an alternative at this time.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kenr wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:48 am you can’t get an Ordinary Visa now.
You can get an E-type (Ordinary) Visa - but only in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate in advance - they never stopped issuing them throughout the past 2 years. The only Visas that they suspended the issuing of were the T-type (Tourist) Visa, e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa), all VOA's and Visa exempt entries - the suspension was lifted in Oct 21 on all of these, apart from VOA's.

Unfortunately most of the Cambodian Embassies/Consulates are under the impression that E-type (Ordinary) Visas are strictly for people with employment/business in Cambodia, and require supporting documentation to support that, they don't understand that it isn't limited to those with employment/business or the different E-type Visa Extension of Stay categories.

There are a few Embassies/Consulates which understand and/or are more lenient.

But now you've got good news, get over here and convert ASAP before the DoI change their mind again.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Interesting. The Cambodia Embassy does not allow that option here on their website or even on the e visa website to apply.

Unfortunately cannot get my ass over there just yet. Because of Covid I waited until January 31st to retire, when I was going to do it mid-2021. OPM will take about 2-3 maybe even 4 months to finalize everything so now just have to wait it out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic