What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

Post by ItWasntMe »

I always thought it was about living life slowly and not getting too stressed out about the little things.

Thailand already taught me to make sure they are really female 👍
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

Post by truffledog »

to be blessed beeing born in a rich country.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Patience
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I think when I first started going to Cambodia I mistook people I was first meeting as actual friends. People asking to borrow money or buy drinks or do favors for.

Later would realize it. My long time friends wouldn't even ask for some of the things these people were asking me for. I didn't connect it at first
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Not in a particular order :

1- You are your own safeguard / parapet. Just look around you.
2- Westerners & Chineses can be worse than locals.
3- Don't genocide.
4- Never underestimate the local greed. People get murdered for little things.
5- Click your fucking helmet.
6- Don't try meth.
7- Don't push it on local pride and revenge feelings. They are off the charts here.
8- Visas loopholes do exist, and if the Immigration can't prove you did wrong, you can get a pass without paying anything. Prepare your case to be thoroughly checked, though.
9- If you plan to let your teenager / young adult go for holidays here by himself or some same age friends for the first time-> nope, let's pick an another country. Later, son, for this one.

I learned before in Indonesia what is about asia, but Cambodia have these little specifics to care about, where occurences and stats are pushed a bit high, but as i am cautious, all was fine for me here. As it was in Indonesia.

Oh :
10- I can actually enjoy beer, just the one, in a frozen glass, after a hard day of work, when the temperature is around 40. It is actually close enough to heaven. Sometimes up to two beers ! I'm so glad not to have picked an habit out of it though.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DankSinatra
BANNED
New Zealand

Post by DankSinatra »

Nice guys come last.

Don't trust anyone
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:19 pm Not in a particular order :

1- You are your own safeguard / parapet. Just look around you.
2- Westerners & Chineses can be worse than locals.
3- Don't genocide.
4- Never underestimate the local greed. People get murdered for little things.
5- Click your fucking helmet.
6- Don't try meth.
7- Don't push it on local pride and revenge feelings. They are off the charts here.
8- Visas loopholes do exist, and if the Immigration can't prove you did wrong, you can get a pass without paying anything. Prepare your case to be thoroughly checked, though.
9- If you plan to let your teenager / young adult go for holidays here by himself or some same age friends for the first time-> nope, let's pick an another country. Later, son, for this one.

I learned before in Indonesia what is about asia, but Cambodia have these little specifics to care about, where occurences and stats are pushed a bit high, but as i am cautious, all was fine for me here. As it was in Indonesia.
So why Cambodia?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DankSinatra wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:19 pm Nice guys come last.

Don't trust anyone
Same to you. Why Cambodia if you can't trust anyone?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Ok a little bit dark so far but good answers :beer2:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:30 pm
So why Cambodia?
Why what ? Why did i came here ?
French school for my son, work opportunities, better food (imported), and a change of country with some points about ethnics, culture, behaviors, that relate to Indonesia, for me.
I feel ok with the people of south east asia.
Damn, i even married one.
And i always wanted to see Angkor Wat since i saw it on tv when i was a kid, so, that's done, great memories.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic