What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

Post by ItWasntMe »

CaliforniaGuy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:10 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:17 pm
CaliforniaGuy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:24 pm A good question, and I started writing up a reply. But when it got to two pages, and was still missing all of the nuance, I decided better to give it up. I will just say, It's complicated.
Come on don't be a tease, I'm sincerely interested in those two pages :beer3:
Yeah, but then you would realize, hey what a moron... Some things should stay hidden,for the greater good, at least for a while. :stir: But in all seriousness, it is the nuance that I have not yet been able to articulate, and that is everything, otherwise it is insipid, preachy, stupid. I mean most of it is not what important lessons I have learned about Cambodia, but what important lessons I have learned about myself from Cambodia, and that I think is what everyone has to find out for himself. You see what I mean when I said preachy? :whip: :popcorn: :facepalm:
The question is just that, what's the most important lesson you learnt from Cambodia, not about Cambodia, that's a different thread.

And yes I agree it's individual and that's why your reply no matter how many pages is as good as any 👍
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

I learned the importance of keeping the mouth shut, regardless of any perceived or gross injustice. Things have a way of working out smoothly and in that time I have been able to learn more. Had I made a peep thngs would not have worked out as well as they did when I have kept quiet and also kept cool and not shown emotion.

This applies to any situation with any and all local people but might also apply to foreign people living here
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:07 pm Cambodia taught me that '' Kama '' really does exist.
FTFY
Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:07 pm Cambodia taught me that '' Karma '' "Khema" and "krama" really do exist.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

:beer:
bossho wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:25 pm I learned the importance of keeping the mouth shut, regardless of any perceived or gross injustice. Things have a way of working out smoothly and in that time I have been able to learn more. Had I made a peep thngs would not have worked out as well as they did when I have kept quiet and also kept cool and not shown emotion.

This applies to any situation with any and all local people but might also apply to foreign people living here
Boredom is like a shroud
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

bossho wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:25 pm I learned the importance of keeping the mouth shut, regardless of any perceived or gross injustice. Things have a way of working out smoothly and in that time I have been able to learn more. Had I made a peep thngs would not have worked out as well as they did when I have kept quiet and also kept cool and not shown emotion.

Thinking back there were a few occasions I regret not having acted no matter me beeig a tourist only. There is a red line where we all should act/oppose/intervene, but for many reasons we dont.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Never overtake on the right side. Many French people are assholes. Dont use phone on the street (seen 2 successful phone snatching from the motorbike). Dont say to Khmer girl you stay here long time (you know to much) and Im not talking about the bar girls. Khmer girls dont like and they are afraid of the sex toys ("Will make me crazy)" :) Time is relative for Khmers.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:39 am
Singapore Slinger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:55 pm 1. On those self-loathing days, there's always another westerner to make you feel better about your own shitty expat existence.

2. Too often kindness is misconstrued as weakness.
I don't think I ever had a self-loathing day in South-East Asia? :beer3:
I learnt to put myself in others position first. It's not all about me.
I don't think that you are understanding the term self-loathing in that case are you?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Took some time to learn...

☑ - to enjoy slowing down and to get my mind out of work mode after 5pm.
☑ - there are no fixed timings, just suggestions
☑ - the value of public libraries and how it shapes society.
☑ - private hospitals do not mean better medical care.
☑ - 4 times table
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:00 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:39 am
Singapore Slinger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:55 pm 1. On those self-loathing days, there's always another westerner to make you feel better about your own shitty expat existence.

2. Too often kindness is misconstrued as weakness.
I don't think I ever had a self-loathing day in South-East Asia? :beer3:
I learnt to put myself in others position first. It's not all about me.
I don't think that you are understanding the term self-loathing in that case are you?
Is that how you talk to people. Like they're 12? It's your self-centred self that lacks faculty.

If someone opens, saying they have bad days, it is bad skills to reply, "I never have bad days."

It's not all about you.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

It dumbfounded me for a long time that my words and tonality could be such an offense especially in light of the direct actions against me or my property done by others. But, I have found thru my experience, that talkng badly with strong tonality is maybe the absolute worse thing to do and there will be backlash. Better to keep cool and keep it inside and process that stuff later if at all, taking it on the chin and moving gets noted, your dues are paid and you can protect better going forward and soksabei with no problems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic