What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: What's the most important lesson Cambodia taught you?

Post by Singapore Slinger »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:55 pm 1. On those self-loathing days, there's always another westerner to make you feel better about your own shitty expat existence.

2. Too often kindness is misconstrued as weakness.
I don't think I ever had a self-loathing day in South-East Asia? :beer3:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Cambodia taught me that '' Kama '' really does exist.
CaliforniaGuy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CaliforniaGuy »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:17 pm
CaliforniaGuy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:24 pm A good question, and I started writing up a reply. But when it got to two pages, and was still missing all of the nuance, I decided better to give it up. I will just say, It's complicated.
Come on don't be a tease, I'm sincerely interested in those two pages :beer3:
Yeah, but then you would realize, hey what a moron... Some things should stay hidden,for the greater good, at least for a while. :stir: But in all seriousness, it is the nuance that I have not yet been able to articulate, and that is everything, otherwise it is insipid, preachy, stupid. I mean most of it is not what important lessons I have learned about Cambodia, but what important lessons I have learned about myself from Cambodia, and that I think is what everyone has to find out for himself. You see what I mean when I said preachy? :whip: :popcorn: :facepalm:
I wish I knew a whole lot more, or a whole lot less.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by Singapore Slinger »

That "Eye" and "Rye" sound much better coming from a cute local girl that Ice and Rice? :beer:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That places can change beyond recognition so quickly - in attitude, atmosphere, appearance and so many other ways.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Allowing freedoms to a couple of particular Chinese demographics is a really bad idea.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

The most important lesson I learned is that you don't need a lot of stuff to be happy. It's been 4 years since I was in the KOW, but every time I return home I look at all the SHIT in my house and realize I don't need most of it. Seeing that people in Cambodia get along with very little possesions and are much more happy with life than those I know here in the states (California). I don't know how to quite put it into words, but my best friend noticed the change when I returned home and said it was good.
What, Me worry?
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:27 am The most important lesson I learned is that you don't need a lot of stuff to be happy. It's been 4 years since I was in the KOW, but every time I return home I look at all the SHIT in my house and realize I don't need most of it. Seeing that people in Cambodia get along with very little possesions and are much more happy with life than those I know here in the states (California). I don't know how to quite put it into words, but my best friend noticed the change when I returned home and said it was good.
I recently unloaded a house "back home" in the states. The lady that was living in it (who passed away) has so much stuff that it took 7 Uhauls (26 foot moving truck), 5 people and 2 weeks to empty the house. Half of the stuff was still new in its box, some of it hadn't even been taken out of the shipping box it arrived it from the post.

I kind of understand, given she grew up in the Great Depression, but still, kind of made me sad to see all that stuff crowd out everything for no reason.
-insert signature here
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:55 pm 1. On those self-loathing days, there's always another westerner to make you feel better about your own shitty expat existence.

2. Too often kindness is misconstrued as weakness.
I don't think I ever had a self-loathing day in South-East Asia? :beer3:
I learnt to put myself in others position first. It's not all about me.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I have had lessons reinforced, rather than learnt (apart from language and culture, history and currency), having been brought back to the basics of my upbringing when I read "If" by Rudyard Kipling everyday.

I recommend it to all sons' parents.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic